Bargains. Let us know.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I picked these up for £10 in a garage sale last week, Intrepid Extra, Intrepid Challenger and the Intrepid Prince Regent.
I don't need them but for a tenner who could resist. I also had a Morrits Elite from a while ago which I tried out yesterday with some new line line on. Couldn't fault it as a reel, put some new line on and the reel was excellent, three settings on the ratchet, a nice quiet click and casting and line lay was excellent. A bit heavy-ish I suppose but I did not find that a problem and not enough for me to notice. I might trial these as well after a bit of a clean up, oiling and new line. Class doesn't date!

reels.JPG

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
The two cost me £25.47 with the mounts and postage, in effect 12.74 each, they are a bit less unmounted.. They are worth more in my opinion. The detail could not be bettered and these are limited editions a well. Check the link out thought, there are plenty of choices and prices.
Will do!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Found this for £5.50 today. I have heard a lot about this book but never read it, 1946 issue. Had a brief look and looks like something I will enjoy. A bit tatty and not sure it is a bargain, just pleased to add it to my collection. I don't think it is the original cover, I might ditch that.
P1000169.JPG

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have a copy of that BB book in my overnight rucksack. Ive lost count of the number of times i've read a chapter at the lakeside in the bivvy.
I remember you saying so and it is mentioned by many others, I am sure I will enjoy it even if it is tatty. I spotted it straight away in this second hand book shop along the sea front, I have had a few fishing books from there and some old Victorian nature ones old bird books in particular. I love that sort of era, don't know why just do. I often like the writing, modern books seem to keen to just give the facts in a mono-drone way but these books they took a bit of care with the reader in mind. Compare any description of a blackbird or a bream:) say in a modern book and one from that era. Possibly they did not have television or computers and the internet that reading was more important to them. Maybe a load of nonsense but it just seems that way to my mind.
Anyway, looks like a good bedside read.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
I have Confessions of a Carp Fisher by BB (2nd Edition) which Ive had since the early 1970s. I’ve read it several times and it’s a perfect size to fit into a small coat pocket when you are fishing through the night.
I last read it about a year ago and it also includes an account by Richard Walker of when he caught his record Carp..

Keith

Reaction score
I've just been on ebay,looking at Guru tackle and found a seller offering 3 packets of ten hooks each MWG barbless eyed hooks,I use these on the small river I fish for barbel with 10lb hooklengths and strongish rods,anyway £4.39 for the three,but with multibuy options which if you buy 3 lots it reduces to £3.95 for three packets of ten,post free,super bargain when they are normally £1.60 for ten at best...

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
I've just been on ebay,looking at Guru tackle and found a seller offering 3 packets of ten hooks each MWG barbless eyed hooks,I use these on the small river I fish for barbel with 10lb hooklengths and strongish rods,anyway £4.39 for the three,but with multibuy options which if you buy 3 lots it reduces to £3.95 for three packets of ten,post free,super bargain when they are normally £1.60 for ten at best...

Good choice of hook, strong in small sizes, large enough eye to tie knotless knots with larger diameter lines and slightly curved point reduces blunting on rocks and gravel.My choice for barbel too, ( and fortunately available here in France!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bluenose

Reaction score
Do you have a link please?

Reaction score
Thanks Chris,I was just about to do it when I saw your reply though sadly they have virtually sold out now...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Picked up a copy of this in The Works for £3.

Good light-hearted read with some surprisingly insightful stuff too on topics like fish welfare, if you’ve enjoyed the tv show it’s worth a couple of quid and a couple of hours.

Attachments

• B347976B-848B-4838-BCB1-AE62B1E7D62C.jpeg
    B347976B-848B-4838-BCB1-AE62B1E7D62C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69

mikench

Reaction score
Is it cheaper there than here Mike ?
No it's more expensive in France I think. I was telling Roger who lives here that if he needed stuff from the UK which he could not get posted I could bring it with me( small stuff obviously). We have been planning on a trip to his part of the world for a while.

Last edited: