Bargains. Let us know.

Newbie74

Reaction score
Have a look at wish.com! Personally I wouldn’t buy line or hooks, but for stuff like float stops, feeders, swivels, quick change float adapters etc there are bargains galore!
Is it similar to EBay you would need to sign up

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Not sure just how good this line is but it is worth a punt.........

MoMoi is usually an excellent line, I used their Hi-Catch lines for big sea fish for many years.

I just ordered a 1000 m as at that price it should be a useful bargain!

Some of the mono lines now are getting to be silly prices!

john step

Reaction score
It is dead. It is no more:(
A few years ago maybe 3 or maybe 4, JohnS63 posted about holdalls from Fishing Republic being virtually given away for less than £4 inc. postage.
I got one and very good it was too. The bottom has fallen out after hundreds of sessions and now awaits the dustmen.
Very sad.

Avon Trotter

Reaction score
Just got myself a like new John Wilson Masterline Avon Quivertip, the green blank with cork and duplon grip, beautiful rod for £40 off FB marketplace, even has the bag and tube.

I had the first version JW Avon I bought back in the late 80's while in school, I saved up my lunch money for months and was over the moon with that rod and caught many a nice fish over the years until the butt section broke, back into it now with the new rod so looking forward to getting it out(y);)

Keith M

Reaction score
Back in 1978 I bought two of the original format John Wilson 11ft 1.25lb Tc Avon/quivers with the full cork handles and green blanks, although my son bought himself one about the same time which had a full Duplon handle which was slightly cheaper but was still the same rod.

NB: There have been many different versions of the original over the years including a part duplon and part cork handled one, a full cork handled one, and full duplon handled one.

My son and I still have our original J. Wilson Avon/quiver rods although they rarely see daylight now; because we both have more modern and more improved rods that we prefer to use; however they are still really good for using on very overgrown streams and small overgrown rivers after Chub as they can take a lot of abuse when it’s needed.

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I agree, Keith. I had the one with the cork covered screw-down - a really nice handle - and the Avon and quiver tip tops. Really versatile and robust. I used it for years, like you, on overgrown waters. In the end, I took it to Lithuania and gave it to a friend's dad, who uses it to this day to catch carp and tench from his own lake.

Avon Trotter

Reaction score
Back in 1978 I bought two of the original format John Wilson 11ft 1.25lb Tc Avon/quivers with the full cork handles and green blanks, although my son bought himself one about the same time which had a full Duplon handle which was slightly cheaper but was still the same rod.

There have been many different versions of the original over the years including a part duplon and part cork handled one, a full cork handled one, and full duplon handled one.

My son and I still have our J. Wilson Avon/quiver rods although they rarely see daylight now; because we both have more modern and more improved rods that we prefer to use; however they are still really good for using on very overgrown streams and small overgrown rivers after Chub as they can take a lot of abuse if it’s needed.

Keith
Yes I had the original from the late 80's with short duplon handle, didnt know they were made in the 70"s?

I fish the upper Bristol Avon mostly for Chub and Roach so its perfect for that, they can handle plenty of power, I have had double figure carp off the top and stalking on the Avon section no problem, just got to play em out!

Avon Trotter

Reaction score
Perhaps it was in the early 80s; It was a long time ago anyway

Keith
I remember saving hard and going hungry for my first JW Avon QT, I was 13 or 14 at the time and I'm pretty sure they hadn't been out that long, this was 1987/88:unsure:(y) Still 34 years ago?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I bought a second hand, green blank, part duplon (sponge) handle, sliding metal bands, Wilson Avon/Quiver in 87/88. However, it was second hand and fairly well used by then. It may have only been a year old when I got it, but I'm fairly sure it was older.

john step

Reaction score
It is dead. It is no more:(
A few years ago maybe 3 or maybe 4, JohnS63 posted about holdalls from Fishing Republic being virtually given away for less than £4 inc. postage.
I got one and very good it was too. The bottom has fallen out after hundreds of sessions and now awaits the dustmen.
Very sad.
As a postcript to this. John contacted me and offered me a duplicate that he has never used. It arrived today. He didnt want paying personally but the agreed amount was to be paid to the POPPY APPEAL which has been done. Thanks John, a gent.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
As a postcript to this. John contacted me and offered me a duplicate that he has never used. It arrived today. He didnt want paying personally but the agreed amount was to be paid to the POPPY APPEAL which has been done. Thanks John, a gent.

What a nice thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

browndog

Reaction score
When I meant tested it was testing my own way, using weights of a known quantity too see if they were accurate.
Weight your shopping items in the supermarket scales, they are tested, so compare the weight of your apples with your scales.