Barrows and trolleys

Reaction score
Most vehicles are front wheel drive for road holding reasons,steering and traction as the weight of the engine over the driving wheels etc,the reason they weren't in days of yore is purely technology and expense based,being as my being the engine I can only be front or back,not on top(unless I fit peddles,lol).

mikench

Reaction score
Front wheel drive means the car is pulled, rear wheel drive means it's pushed. All to do with Forces( as defined in physics) . I only said pulling was easier and I am content with that assessment. I had a mid engined car with the weight of the engine spread evenly and it was the best handling car I ever had.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Regardless of whichever is harder or easier, pushing or pulling, a single wheel barrow is by far the better option to use for transporting fishing gear on uneven, soggy ground.
The only time those small trailer type trollies may be ok is on flat manicured ground.

steve2

Reaction score
After reading these posts the one thing that always comes to mind is why do we take so much gear for simple task of catching a fish.
From what I have seen they don't take as gear to climb Everest, just how much of this tackle ever gets used. Most of us know what we are going to use before we set off.
So is it that just in case option or I have got it so I am taking no matter what.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I still use both types of trolley depending on what I’m taking on the day. I remember when barrows weren’t available and we all used pull along trolleys. The problem for me was I had to carry my rod quiver ( especially with 5 or 6 pole tubes inside plus umbrella) on my shoulder which was often heavy and cumbersome. With the push along version the quiver can be laid on top of the laden barrow making things a lot easier.

When the Preston shuttle first appeared in a 4 wheel version, about 10 years ago, I bought one and still have and use it. It’s brilliant, and contrary to some critics beliefs, it doesn’t topple over very easily.

If anyone wants a topple proof version of the shuttle, then get the 2 wheeler and add the 4 wheel conversion kit, the kit wheels sit wider than the front wheels, giving more stability.

Reaction score
No doubt the shuttle is brilliant for flat paths and ground Simon,as soon as the ground gets a bit bumpy they become more difficult,in my case having more than one platform/trolley isn't an option,no more room for storing them,I made two wall brackets for the back of my garage for my Penrose,puts it 5/6ft of the floor(top of frame),laying flat against the wall taking up basically no space,as i've said before,people look at my set up when fishing puzzled as to why,but I know that everything is perfect,I sit on mine,a rear rod rest fits the leg,feeder arm,side tray(with g.bait tray) and umberella arm,all of which are really handy on hard ground,which many of the fisheries I go to have,what suits you is what counts,hundreds of pounds can be spent searching for it....

wetthrough

Reaction score
So is it that just in case option or I have got it so I am taking no matter what.

If start trying to be selective I can guarantee I'll forget something. If I take all my tackle the number of things I can potentially forget is greatly reduced, flask stink rag etc. I even managed to forget my stink rag last time I was out. Fortunately I always have a spare packed.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I wrecked three very nice rods with a barrow. I fished an irrigation reservoir where the access had been restricted and was only accessible via a steep grass bank on the dam end. This was okay in the summer but on a wet autumn day was more than a tad slippery.

I took a run up and when I was about three quarters of the way to the top the front wheel hit a hole and the barrow started to skew around. It was like it happened in slow motion, the wheel slid sideways until it was pointing back down the slope. At which point one of the bloody handles pulled out of its socket.

The barrow tumbled to the bottom of the slope, destroying two Free Spirit carp rods and a Free Spirit float rod in the process. A bad day for me and a
worse one for the insurance company who I must say were very good in replacing my broken gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
I have a green one that I use when doing the occasional all nighter after Carp with my son.

It’s very easy for me to pull over muddy ground with its extra wide wheels.

Keith

Well I don’t know about pushing a pulling and I like the trolley but the big question for me is how the heck do you keep it so clean !?&??:)