Basket case!

Aknib

Reaction score
Does anyone here still have a penchant for a bit of willow?

Imagine a revolutionary material which outlasts nylon based tackle bags and holdalls by decades, has a built in woven air flow design with clever, quick drying properties which not only dry the product but also assists in the drying of its contents without the environmental impacts of plastic and its derivatives?

Escaped maggots rotting in the base of your seatbox?

Not anymore.

Unlike the tackle bag or holdall you can sit on it (at the risk of an itchy posterior but a small cushion negates that) and they're far more pleasing on the eye.

It's ok...

I always get a bit Swampy & Co around this time of the year, you'll never clamp twelve metres of carbon to it or get it to self level and I know it's not for everyone but I love it.

I already have a much larger version which I had made for me by Somerset Willow but this thing has not left my side on the bank since we first met many moons ago and it was love at first sight, I literally can't leave home for a session without it now and after a turbulent and troublesome few months at work which have impacted massively on my fishing it was very nice to get acquainted again yesterday for my first river foray of the new season...

bbskt.JPG

Daft beggar! :)

Anyone else here carrying on the tradition?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No, but I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts Steve. ?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have this, I never use it, more bought as a bargain in an auction for £20, or maybe not a bargain, I just liked it. Not sure if its more for holding fish or prawns or shrimps but, it would make a nice tackle basket. Old ones made by Hardy's can reach silly money in auctions. Certainly wouldn't use it for sitting on, too low and no back rest, I wouldn't last 5mins. Even one like Steve's would be too uncomfortable. However, I think they are nice things, most things are when they are made from natural material if not always as practical as modern equivalents.
100_0491.JPG

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Are you saying you won't be getting of these then?

View attachment 15618
Few quid worth there Kev , is that the power Walker wheel kit in the photo ,?
I was going to buy the topkit/rod roost for my Preston box but ended up getting the PI version.
I bought a box strap from Oct box for my AS1,and the service I got from Rick was as if I was buying a £500 Oct box instead of an £8 strap, he measured it and told me measurements over the phone to see if suitable, Then got one sent from Germany to me, Brilliant service and the boxes look good as well from what I have seen .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
When I am out and about around antique and collectors fairs ot units I look to see if any wicker baskets are around,
My first "seatbox" was a wicker basket, held everything I needed, a piece of foam on the top held in place by a bike inner tube and keepnet and landing net shoved on top of the foam and under the tube, I had it for years, in fact I didnt change to a "proper" box of ther era until I was in my early twenties,