bass fishing

G

greg campbell

is there anyone that can tell me where to go for fly fishing for bass in the winter in the northwest england or southwest of scotland

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If your after the sea bass you will have to wait till spring next year. The cold tends to move them away. A good place to try is the warm water outflows at hesham power station.

G

greg campbell

hi brian, william do you get bass all winter at hesham and what is the best bait to use and is it any good flyfishing at this time of year

alan

Reaction score
Greg, i agree with Bryan, at this time of year you might find the old bass but most are gone, you wouldbe better waiting a couple of months before trying.
mackeral are supposed to be fun on a fly rod as well.

you might be able to find some pollock about, they are meant to take flys as well.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Greg you here of the odd fish coming of in winter. Crab's the bait, they do get caught on Black Lug. I would not waste my time better off trying for the Cod thougth ther is a shortage of them again this year. Dabs and Flounder are paving the sea floor at the moment. As advised above i would wait till April at the earliest.

Alan not much hope of Pollack of the NW coast. The beeches are far to shallow. A 150 yard cast will only put you in 10-12 feet at low water. We do get some big tides they run from 7.2 to 10.5 meters. Southport and Lythm St Annes the tide can go out over a mile. same in the Morcambe bay area. Blackpool and Fleetwood its more around the half mile mark.

William Foxall

Reaction score
live in morecambe bay greg , dont bother with the fly waste of time but if you e-mail me i will help as muck as i can, i have a little mark which i fish in the new year get a few bass. mate of mine has had several past couple of wks 3-5lb mark.