Begginer pole choice

dunavski

Reaction score
Hello to everyone
I'm planning to buy my first pole and I think that don't need something very expensive as a first pole, but also don't feel confident to buy a second hand.
So could you suggest some good all round poles in 300-400£ price range for general coarse fishing and some odd big fish.

sagalout

Reaction score
I am not recommended because I don't know, but I am suggesting some that may be worth a look, Maver Respect 13m Match Coarse Pole Package - Mini Extension & 3 Top Kits- B7365 | eBay as a cheap(ish) entry level pole. Obviously it will be like a bit of wet string at 13m but it will be perfectly good at 10m and possibly even 11.5, alternatively look at the bottom end of any manufacturer.

The drennan red range rx carp 13m has a review here Drennan RX Carp 13m pole and is about £365.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:16 ----------

Here's a review of the respect Maver Match : Reviews - This Pole Commands 'Respect'

All you can do is go to dealers and look, go and the bank and ask, or read the reviews and take the plunge. Have you got someone local to you that will advise, let you play, etc? A good local tackle shop should be able to advise.

dunavski

Reaction score
Fosters of Birmingham is fairly close to me and I can go test some poles there. I watched some YouTube videos about Middy Nano core xt15-2 pole and guys there were keep saying that is the lightest and stiffest pole in its price range. I don't know if it's true.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You're fortunate to live near Fosters as they have a proper pole alley to try out the poles. Remember to ask about the availability of spares whichever pole you choose as accidents will happen. Also try to get all your topkits elasticated as part of the deal as this can be at least £50-70 extra cost.

dunavski

Reaction score
What length pole are you looking to buy

Well I don't think that there is any point to buy margine style pole so probably I will be looking for 13m of lenght.

Any feedback for the following poles

MAP TKS 101 13M 2G POLE
Preston Innovations Pro Type 260 13m Pole
Daiwa Team Daiwa ZR1 Plus 13m Pole
Middy Nano-Core XT15-2 13.5m Pole
Maver 13m Maver Endurance Carp

MRWELL

Reaction score
If you look in the beginners section,i put a thread on about pole fishing for beginners,it is just a simple advice thread that might help you out and gives you some ideas of weights of poles and so on..might be worth a look mate :)

dunavski

Reaction score
If you look in the beginners section,i put a thread on about pole fishing for beginners,it is just a simple advice thread that might help you out and gives you some ideas of weights of poles and so on..might be worth a look mate :)

Sorry mate didn't see it ..... my mistake.

daniel121

Reaction score
Hello to everyone
I'm planning to buy my first pole and I think that don't need something very expensive as a first pole, but also don't feel confident to buy a second hand.
So could you suggest some good all round poles in 300-400£ price range for general coarse fishing and some odd big fish.

Hi mate, what type of a beginner are you? Ie have you fished with poles before or have you never touched one?

I would say if you have never touched one before buy a cheaper pole at the 100-200 end. They tend to be stronger and will withstand the mistreatment you will give them due to inexperience. The more expensive you go the more brittle poles become - trust me.

Reply mate and I Taylor my advice for you ;)

dunavski

Reaction score
Hi mate, what type of a beginner are you? Ie have you fished with poles before or have you never touched one?

I would say if you have never touched one before buy a cheaper pole at the 100-200 end. They tend to be stronger and will withstand the mistreatment you will give them due to inexperience. The more expensive you go the more brittle poles become - trust me.

Reply mate and I Taylor my advice for you ;)

I used to have cheap 11m Maver pole and 8m Middy if we can say they are poles
My concerns are if I buy cheap and short pole very soon I will be looking for something better and longer due to poor pole performance probably.
At the moment I probably can afford up to 1000£ pole but not sure if it's worth it as I'm not very experienced pole angler.

dunavski

Reaction score
Little plot twist today.
I went to the Fosters to see and try few poles.
I've tried Preston M50, Maver Oculus bit heavier than M50 and Preston protype 260 not too heavy, but very soft and hanging. In the end I hold in my hands Daiwa Airity just to compare to the other poles and I was happy to buy the M50, but they didn't approve me for the finance :eek:mg::eek:mg: Totally disappointed :mad:

sagalout

Reaction score
I think the M50 is a bit more than £3-400, hmmm!

I have fallen into the trap of wanting a pole again and have built a spinning chair like the preston 360 to hopefully stop me twisting me back and was going down the oculus 999 or m50 route, but kept thinking I only want a good 13m pole so why not save a few bob and look at the oculus 799, bvgger me with a rag mans trumpet if there wasn't an auction on ebay for one (dealer BNIB) and I won it for £511 delivered. Should be here tomorrow, but I won't so I will have to have a play later in the week.

dunavski

Reaction score
Obviously I have to stick to my feeder fishing for few more months until save enough money for pole gear.

MRWELL

Reaction score
I used to have cheap 11m Maver pole and 8m Middy if we can say they are poles
My concerns are if I buy cheap and short pole very soon I will be looking for something better and longer due to poor pole performance probably.
At the moment I probably can afford up to 1000£ pole but not sure if it's worth it as I'm not very experienced pole angler.

Hi,i would go for second hand,don't spend that kind of money on a pole you might not like,there are loads of good 16 meter poles at around £400 mark if you go second hand and not all are repaired ones,if you look after the pole it will last a long time and give you time to save for a more expencive one if you really fancy one..you don't say if you have all the other gear you need for pole fishing,if you have said then sorry but if you don't have the other stuff you need then you might find you have spent all you're cash and still not be able to use the pole,take all this into account before buying,don't jump in thinking you need a long match pole at this point because you only have to look on the net to see how many are selling theres to see it is not all pole fishing these days,seatbox,rollers,roosts and so on are all needed and cost money as much as another £400 plus if you don't already have them.

dunavski

Reaction score
Hi,i would go for second hand,don't spend that kind of money on a pole you might not like,there are loads of good 16 meter poles at around £400 mark if you go second hand and not all are repaired ones,if you look after the pole it will last a long time and give you time to save for a more expencive one if you really fancy one..you don't say if you have all the other gear you need for pole fishing,if you have said then sorry but if you don't have the other stuff you need then you might find you have spent all you're cash and still not be able to use the pole,take all this into account before buying,don't jump in thinking you need a long match pole at this point because you only have to look on the net to see how many are selling theres to see it is not all pole fishing these days,seatbox,rollers,roosts and so on are all needed and cost money as much as another £400 plus if you don't already have them.
Actually I haven't got any pole gear at the moment :wh:wh
My plan was to buy a new pole and to get the rest second hand, but now probably I will get everything second hand. I don't know it's very confusing:eek:mg:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
The M50 is an excellent pole and an excellent choice. Very recently purchased the M70 myself and very, very happy with it.

The M50 got a fabulous write up in the April edition of Pole Fishing magazine and I've no reason to dispute it.

Top match anglers are raving about the M90 but I couldn't justify the price tag with the M70 at half the price and the M50 at a third.

You've got an excellent pole there.

dunavski

Reaction score
Yes I was about to buy the M50, but haven't been approved for finance and I'm not ready at the moment to pey the prise in cash.
Do you you think that Daiwa SR1 13m with 4 top sets + pole roller for 100 quids worth it :eek::eek:

sagalout

Reaction score
For ton you can't go far wrong providing the pole hasn't been used by Binka.