Beginner daunted by the Swale

Paul Hakner

Reaction score
Hi
Can anybody give me advice on what would be the most appropriate rod/tackle to buy (on a budget) to fish the Swale come the new season?

daren heslop

Reaction score
Hi Paul how about a jhon wilson avon quiver rod for starters.I bought one a few years back when i started river fishing again and its had a few trips to the swale and still gets the odd outing on the wharfe.Shop around and u should get a good deal on one.In fact now i remember Angling direct were selling the new one fairly cheap and also Daiwa regal z baitrunners for ?30 odd quid as well. 0800 0858169.

Paul Hakner

Reaction score
Hi Daren,

Cheers for the advice on the tackle, i'll definitely check this out.

All the best, Paul

B

Bob Watson

Paul,
I'd learn to fish the float first, the rod Daren recommends will do for both float and ledger.
Moreton bridge stretch.
Get your ticket from the garage near the bridge, walk downstream from the bridge (Moreton side) til you reach the small wooded area (travel light), fish a quite heavy stick float (4 or 6 No.4) as there's a bit of flow normally. Start about half depth, any deeper and your loosefeed will be going through above your hookbait. Keep feeding, I find about twice a cast is about right, just before/as you cast in and again about halfway through the trot. Expect Chub averaging 3lb.

Paul Hakner

Reaction score
Bob,
Many thanks for the advice, I'll try all this out in the near future!

G

Geoff Cowen

It might be worth your while looking at the new Shimano Barbel rods they are about the same price as the John Wilson rod and to me look a better deal. Any good reel will do as long as it has plenty of winding power. If you are after chub then 6lb line would be OK but if you are going after Barbel then 10lb to 12lb line would be best. The Morton stretch dose holed some big Barbel, Chub and Grayling. Fish the faster stretches for the Grayling with a small feeder always works for me and you will be surprised how big some of them grow. Deeper slower water for the Chub and Barbel bends particularly, look for features such as sunken trees and fish to them. Oh and if you do go after the Barbel don?t leave your rod unattended or it will never be seen again I promise you I nearly lost one last year and I was only a couple of feet away having a wee, caught the end of the handle and peed all down my leg. Good luck with the new fishing season, cannot wait myself.

Paul Hakner

Reaction score
Geoff,
Thankyou for the tips and advice on tackling the Swale. The Shimano rod you mentioned earlier, have you any suggestions regards where to look either on line or else where? I was still looking at JW avon quiver but now i'll widen the search and look at other names.

Enjoyed the article about Charltons pond, it'll give alot of satisfaction once completed by you lads up there.

Have you ever had anything to do with Bedale Beck? Wondered who i would see reference a day ticket?

Cheers, Paul

G

Geoff Cowen

Try the Tackle Box at Billingham for the Shimano rod. If you twist Phil?s the owners arm I?m sure he will knock at least 10% off. If you tell him to give you the same deal I would get out of him you will do better. I never leave without having him in tears.
I don't know anything about Bedale Beck but will try to find out.
'Oh' and thanks for the comment about Charltons pond. I will do a follow up if they ever finish it.

G

Geoff Cowen

Bob, I live at Marton in Middlesbrough. If you fancy a days fishing on the Swale after the start of the season send me an e-mail. Just click on my name and this will take you to my page from were you can send me a message.

M

Mark Watson

Guys, interested to read your thoughts on the Swale. Do any of you fish any of the Middlesbrough AC stretches? Me and my mate are going to give it a try this coming season.

Mention the R (reduction) word to Phil in the tackle box, it brings immediate tears to his eyes.

D

Davy North

Mark,

I'm looking forward to good go on the M/bro AC Swale water this coming season might see you there or at least swap notes.

Phil from the Tackle Box is a really nice guy. I don't go in there very often, but if he hasn't got what I want he always seems so sorry and apologetic I normally end up buying something I didn't want just to chear him up.

Has he got that digger out of Charltons little pond yet?

M

Mark Watson

Davy,

You're right, Phil is a good guy, he is really getting the shop into good shape and has a good bit of stock now.

I'm thinking of fishing the Danotty Hall and Kirby Wiske stretches. Any tips will be useful.

Last I heard the pond project was stalled. Promised funding fell through and the pond has been refilled with water from the big pond. There was an AGM a couple of weeks ago which I should have attended but didn't. It's worth joining the club though as they also have a stretch on the Swale at Maunby. ?13 a year !! You can sign up in the tackle box and maybe buy something else you don't need!

D

Davy North

I'll keep in touch. I'll miss the first week of the season as I'm on Hol's (bad planning there).

My main priblem is time. I alway promise myself a run to the Swale, but usually end up on the Tees because it's closer, not that that's a bad thing. However this year I'm determined to give it a go for chub barbel and pike.