Beginners luck

steve2

Reaction score
Just been reading a clubs forum just goes to show the luck in fishing. Someone on their first ever days fishing caught the fish that others have tried years to catch and set a new club carp record. They weren’t even fishing for carp just for whatever came along. Similar things have happened to me when fishing for what ever comes along, best carp, best barbel.

May be we would be better of if we stopped targeting fish and just went fishing.

Reaction score
I think there is a lot of satisfaction landing big fish your only hoping to catch,not targeting....

mikench

Reaction score
In gèneral the more I try the less success I have. It's great to get a surprise occasionally.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Seen this happen a few times especially sea fishing, some novice just chucks in with an old rod and fishing gear and pulls out a bumping fish while all the experts with £100's of gear and record braking casting ability catch naff all. So, I think there could be something in that; if we just went fishing and didn't pay so much attention to it all; maybe it is just trying too hard and then lose the essence of it but, then the enjoyment is the trying for many of us and when we fail we go and spend more money and try even harder and repeat the process for most of our lives. Be an interesting experiment if we fished out our old toy rods, shiny springy line, half a pint of sweaty maggots and fished that for a month and see how the HDYGO thread looked afterwards.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
It's an uncanny thing, the amount of times I've had really good sessions when I haven't been well prepared, and then you go back all sorted and get not a lot !

bullet

Reaction score
You're dead right there, Mark.
Last year I heard of a lad who had a double figure Bass, he was learning to cast a multiplier and had fluffed it, with the resulting cast going nowhere.
By the time he had sorted the birdsnest out, he reeled in to find it on the end!

Reaction score
I think experienced anglers need to balance out good venues and difficult ones,just to keep confidence levels up,so to not fret so much over a series of iffy days,or target less easy species on prolific waters at times...