Berkley powerbait power worms

Jarv

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been trying to fish a local drain that is shocking for weed cover this summer. I have spotted numerous different fish - Roach, Chub, Perch, Pike and even a couple of Trout. Once the weed dies out basically the place goes a bit dead and fish revert to the main river. Float and ledger fishing was pretty impossible. I tried (and I mean tried as new to me and pretty useless) a little bit of fly fishing with fly and artificial bugs with not much luck (mostly due to my skill perhaps) but did at least avoid the lower weed.
I stumbled across some rubbery power worms I bought years ago in the States and tried hooking them weedless and this actually worked a treat for the venue - hard up against a bush and through some weed no problem - but alas no joy yet fish wise on a couple of visits. The venue itself is hard to fish so it could be its just that. But has anyone actually had much luck with these things in the UK to give me some hope they work? I cant see any reason it wouldn't work for the Chub or Perch for that matter if I found the right location - or maybe they simply don't work and I am wasting my time?
Final question - any other good "weedy" fishing ideas particularly for the big Chub I have spotted?

john step

Reaction score
The old standby in the UK has been an old fashioned weed rake. A clear spot dragged with the weed left on the bank for the bugs to get back in the water.
A couple of rake heads wired back to back and a length of rope completes the equipment.

A few days light prebaiting and away you go. Real worms and prawns at the ready?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Or try making a dead weight, a piece of cork with shot added either side and a hook length until it just sinks. Make it as heavy as you want to cast. make it at home in the sink and then cast that out with a worm bait or bread etc on the hook in the canal and let it sink until it just settles on the weed. Use a quiver tip to detect bites. with bread a few pieces chucked in around the hook bait would settle on the weed as well, might attract a few fish.
I don't know much about artificial worms but generally I don't think they work as well as real bait with scent.