Best Budget Seat box for under £100

fishing1995

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just recently got back into Fishing and I went into my shed to find my Fishing box broken and the seat ripped up. Decided to just buy a new box but as Christmas is around the corner I'd ideally need to be spending around or under £100. I know its not much and I'm not expecting anything spectacular, Just something reliable to store a little gear in and sit on comfortably every once in a while, It wont be used that much.

I've done a little research and popped into Dragoncarp and come across the "Maver Abyss X 3 Draw Seat Box" priced at £75.00, Was wondering if that'd be the best I could get for my money, I'd have to assume it was but I thought I'd just get your opinions on this before I delve into buying it.

I've also come across cheaper brand boxes, But I'd rather stay away from cheaper brands and stick to the ones I know.

Appreciate any help, thankyou!

rubio

Reaction score
To my way of thinking a " budget" seatbox comes in at less than 20quid

fishing1995

Reaction score
To my way of thinking a " budget" seatbox comes in at less than 20quid

Wasn't even aware you could get seat boxes for £20 unless you snag a second hand bargain. I dont even think the hollow plastic ones are that cheap, Are they? Lol.

I would say £100 is budget, for what I'm after atleast. Most Boxes from what I've seen retail from £200 upward.

B

binka

Might be worth having a look at these, the lower cost ones are not too much more than your budget with the option of adding to it at a later date when you would otherwise be flogging it and looking for something with more capacity (believe me it will happen!)...

Matchbox Tackle - SX Seat Box

Having previously owned one for a number of years without destroying it I can say that they are very robust indeed with good flexibility to add to/change the configuration with great functionality.

pf0x

Reaction score
If you're on ebay do a search for seat boxes near where you live (search by postcode).

Some match anglers are dreadful tarts :D and you can find good quality, good condition but 'old fashioned' seat boxes. Also, a good way of getting various attachments if they're part of the deal etc too.

The sub £100 tend to be small and not have a footplate

The new plastic boxes (Shakespeare etc) are surprisingly expensive at £30-£40.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
If your after something practical that will out last all those expensive jobs with trays and drawers and weigh a ton look at a Shakespeare blue team box.

slaphead

Reaction score
I have a black version of the Shaky with a seat cushion, side trays and octoplus(I think) legs. Does the job.

pf0x

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Shakey's etc.

But if you're patient and willing to use ebay you can get very good condition boxes that cost £100+ plus for around £50. You need adjustable feet etc if you want to sit comfortably (nothing is flat on the bank)

Seems silly to spend £50 on a plastic box when you can get a superior alternative for a similar price.

The sheds and garages of the UK seem to be full of barely used tackle.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Go for a reliable brand, The Maver one you mentioned seems a decent buy.
There is a company called Westlake, Go outdoors sell their products,They seem to be Indian copies of Maver and Rive. I would leave these alone.
Or as has been suggested try 2nd hand.
Where are you based,? I sometimes get hold of good 2nd hand tackle.

mikench

Reaction score
Mark this thread is nearly 5 years old and I doubt the OP is even around let alone pondering which box to buy. :)

Paste paul

Reaction score
For £100 you can get a stonking ( is that a word) box second hand......
market place on Facebook is a good place to look there are many bargains to be had......
The other advantage of market place is you can have a look but walk away if you don’t like it.
I sold a Daiwa box recently sb100 with side tray for £30 and it was in perfect condition.......
it held all the accessories and had loads of draws etc......
Also don’t get stuck on the new boxes there are many really good older boxes out there that are just as good......
Don’t be scared to barter there are a lot of people out there that think they can get a lot more money for stuff than it’s worth...... if you watch stuff on eBay it often doesn’t sell and gets put back on cheaper.
One last thing I personally would rather buy an old quality box than a cheap new one if that makes sense ......
I bought a mint AS1 for £25 with foot plate and I love it
Hope this helps

rayner

Reaction score
I bought a Boss box in 87 it cost me £415, the full system as wheels, platform, 8 drawers, side tray, trolley handle, pole rests and a deep base. Still in excellent working order, not bad for a box that's over thirty years old.
You can find the same box now for around 40quid, a real bargain.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I bought a Boss box in 87 it cost me £415, the full system as wheels, platform, 8 drawers, side tray, trolley handle, pole rests and a deep base. Still in excellent working order, not bad for a box that's over thirty years old.
You can find the same box now for around 40quid, a real bargain.
I sold the same box but 6 drawer version and the boss full length half drawer,plus a very comfy pole seat, the foot plate had full length legs at rear not the stubs that you see on some. Sold mine for ,£50. Been paid ,not collected it yet.
Rayner ,what I did do was change the wheels, I fitted a spare spare from a Preston Space Shuttle, the square legs are same measurements so straight swap and best thing is ,no more punctures,and a slightly better height from box to floor when pulling it.. Also bought new "Boss" stickers to put on the box.

rayner

Reaction score
I've relegated my box for the simple reason it's got a little too much for my wife to lift it in and out of the car.
I'm going to try to manage with a chair if I can do that god only knows, I had a JRC stealth recliner chair that wasn't right for me.
I've bought a Matrix accessory chair but haven't used it yet, I think I have the accessories I need, will have to see how I go.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have 2 JRC I think one is light something possibly stealth, not used them for fishing yet, one has arms the other doesn't.
I think if I bought a chair such as PI inception or Monster feeder or like you a Matrix I would be buying for buying sake.
Will stick with Inception seatbox for now, I can strip it down to putting seat on the small base,remove footplate and have it as stool.

rayner

Reaction score
I bought the stealth because it was light plus it had no arms, it's really not high enough for how I fish.
I had to alter the back with a bit of packing just held on with tie wraps to stop the back of the chair leaning too far back.
It's impossible to fish a pole in a laid position. The Matrix chair is heavier but it's a sight lighter than my box.
I've just about got everything in place for when I fish. Changing all my tubs and boxes to fit in my bait bag, that's one minus for not using my box.
I know my wife will find it a lot easier to manage though and that's the main thing.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I have not used my chairs for fishing yet, had them out as extra garden chairs.
I did notice that they do lean a little too far back, I am going to look for a pair of rubber wedge shape door stops to use as packing.
I had an original Korum chair with the adjustable legs and back. That was as heavy as one of my seat boxes.
One of the waters I am fishing in Oxford is more of a chair venue , either feeder fishing or pellet waggler type fishing. So I may be using a chair more often. And I wont be taking as much stuff with me.
I first fished it using my pole, ended up latching in to a 20lb carp. Pole now stays at home and margin pole goes with me. Along with feeder and float rod.

rayner

Reaction score
There are fish to big doubles in the water I fish, occasionally someone latches onto a big fish, not me I hasten to add.
If I did with the tackle I use they would take an age to land, I expect I would pull for a break. I only use 0.14 hooklength with my feeder set up.
With my chair that leant back too much, I altered it by using pieces of plastic cut from a drain pipe held on with a tie wrap. Straightened the back nice but the chair was too low.