Best Midlands Venue - Trotting Chub and Barbel

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
I have a week off work soon and will be travelling to the West Midlands to see family. While I'm there I want to sandwich in a day or three of float fishing for Chub and Barbel.

What venues would you all recommend. Wouldn't be averse to getting something like the BAA ticket as I will be there again in the new year. Would be willing to travel to the river Wye too.

Thanks in advance.

theartist

Reaction score
Both Severn and Wye are struggling with the brown colour and with no weed growing this recent forum post highlights the issues.

Passion For Clean Rivers

I've really struggled down there in two trips this season float fishing which is hard to take when it used to be brilliant before the floods of winter 2020. These are my last two blog posts if you have time.

trottingdowntheriver - Beaten By A Big Brown Severn

trottingdowntheriver - A Day On The Severn In Pictures

Much will depend on the colour of the rivers if there's any rain in Wales they are going to come through really coloured and float fishing is hard, pellet and hemp dont seem to be working and bunches of maggot may be the only way, that's if you get through the dace. The fish holding weedbeds have all gone so it's hard to suggest a spot now, It seems overhanging trees are holding spots for a lot of barbel but aren't always in range for the float.

Contrast this to the Warks Avon if you want chub, which is clear weedy and healthy looking...

trottingdowntheriver - Trotting Pellet For Chub - Warwickshire Avon Magic

I know I sound like the prophet of doom but better anglers then me have struggled on the Severn and Wye of late so I hope there's some who are having success on the float down there but much would depend on the colour it seems, end of the day the BAA ticket is so cheap it's worth the punt and the Severn is still a beautiful river.

Rod & Annette

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've been in touch with a couple of local tackle shops to the area for some advice.

I'm going to try he Severn at Bewdley, the Avon near Stratford and the Arrow which I have fished before and know reasonably well.

theartist

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've been in touch with a couple of local tackle shops to the area for some advice.

I'm going to try he Severn at Bewdley, the Avon near Stratford and the Arrow which I have fished before and know reasonably well.
Sounds like a nice mix of fishing you got planned there, tight lines