Best way to clean rod handles?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I imagine the cost of the gear has something to do with it and expensive gear gets cleaned more frequently however, I don't like my rods to be dirty, there is something nice about a clean rod when your using it no matter what it cost and a dirty rod is distracting. Mine its mostly mud and hand grime as I don't use sloppy groundbait or sloppy baits much, the mud gets cleaned off and the hand grime just now and then. I don't have a time table, just my eye tells me when it is needed. My reels get neglected a bit but any excessive mud gets cleaned off. One oddity of mine is I like to be quite clean and smart when fishing, clean ironed shirt and trousers, just a mind thing I suppose but I think I fish better. I don't mind being scruffy but not when I am fishing, odd!
Just remembered, I have used white spirit on cork before and it doesn't appear to do it any harm and cleans of some deep grime with a hard wipe a few times.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Cleaning a rod butt but neglecting the reel makes no sense, it would be like polishing your car but not servicing it. As long as the rings are clean and the reel is good, a dirty rod butt catches exactly the same amount of fish as a clean one, whether it feels as good is down to whoever is holding it.

I'm, starting to admire those who strive to keep their gear clean but at the same time wonder what happens when they fish somewhere muddy, does it ruin the day when the gear gets tarnished early doors?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Groundbait and deadbait are the main culprits of dirty gear in my experience. Groundbait is bad enough but my rods and reels after a zander session are absolutely disgusting.....they dont half pen and ink too.

And roach or sardine scales are like pine needles.....you find them in the most ridiculous places months later.

Keith M

Reaction score
All of my tackle gets a good clean every year in the early spring; and apart from that my rods and reels only ever get cleaned if they get some sloppy groundbait or mud on them.

However my sea reels (which are rarely used) get a good rinse in fresh water after every use.

Keith

theartist

Reaction score
All of my tackle gets a good clean every year in the early spring; and apart from that my rods and reels only ever get cleaned if they get some sloppy groundbait or mud on them.

However my sea reels (which are rarely used) get a good rinse in fresh water after every use.

Keith
Salt water is a killer, for the same reason I'll give anything metal a good wipe down after using bread, due to the amount of salt in it.

Philip

Reaction score
I'll give anything metal a good wipe down after using bread, due to the amount of salt in it.

...best check the PH of maggots too ...dont want to risk all that poisonous maggot juice melting the rod away…:unsure::)