BFS, Ned Rigs & Florocarbon Mainline.

Pikerwoods

Reaction score
Now I see things have moved on in u/l fishing. What are Ned rigs as arn't they just like bottom bouncing kopytos. Also see every one is buying BFS tackle but using florocarbon mainline. I do like idea of modern day multipliers for light fishing, less messing about casting with fixed spool reels and you have quicker contact with taking fish. Seen combos from Needham's at good price and looked good on YouTube.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
With a Ned rig the soft plastic floats so at rest it sits upright on the bottom, when you twitch the lure it moves forward and then slowly rises back into the upright position allowing you to fish it super slowly.

IMO whilst you can use a baitcaster to cast light weights they're not as well suited to it as a fixed spool reel, it's fashion over function.

s63

Reaction score
??? Translation please, what is BFS for FFS???
Bait Finesse System. Comes out of Japan, an ultralight method they use for catching bass. It’s now catching anglers here in the UK, some of the prices for rods and reels are insane. I nearly got sucked in myself but came to my senses just in time before the credit cards took a bashing. There’s an angler who use to promote his YouTube videos on here who fishes the Stour through Canterbury much like myself, the combination of his rod and reel price is approx £700, not much like myself. He’s already snapped two of the rods!

steve2

Reaction score
As much as I like lure fishing I won't be buying into this method. Checked on line and the prices are in my mind ridiculous.

Philip

Reaction score
BFS.

Sounds like inventing new Acronyms is the new way of reinventing the wheel to sell more tackle.

CRS anyone ? ...Cane rod system...its a winner. :)

steve2

Reaction score
Some of the lure prices on sale from Japan on ebay are just as ridiculous, Heddon lures at £200 -£300 I suppose some one must be buying them.
CRS Cane rod system could be the next must have. I see fibreglass rods are making a come back.

Last edited:

Molehill

Reaction score
BFS.

Sounds like inventing new Acronyms is the new way of reinventing the wheel to sell more tackle.

CRS anyone ? ...Cane rod system...its a winner. :)
Embarrassingly I had my 31/2lb lure caught Severn perch on a cane rod, the fixed spool was pretty old too! If anyone wants to offer me $400 for a light Hardy Wanless then I'm all ears.

dorsetsteve

Reaction score
I have, after doing some fishing recently with a mate who has what could be referred to as a BFS setup considered it. Initially I was skeptical of these potentially expensive reels value but there is a level of control and certain casts you simply cannot make with a fixed spool reel, at least not with as much control your often casting TIGHT to features.
For example casting into an upstream tree pocket, it requires you to side cast and bend the entry. Side casting in the fashion is easier with a bait caster. Equally if your casting to features it allows you to stop the “bait” instantly in the air, with a fixed spool you can really only slow.
Fluorocarbon is often used as its more forgiving, less prone to bird nesting etc for beginners so I’m advised.
The Ned rig is really just a way of drop shotting at range or on the move from the bank. The idea is to achieve an incredibly slow retrieve with the movement imparted in the pause, kinda the opposite to jigging.

Last edited: