Big Bream in winter

N

Neil Wayte

Matchmen catch bream in the winter but you see very little about fishing for big bream in winter.I have a couple of waters with big bream in and wonder if it is worth having a go for them.Location is obviously the key.A few years ago I had a big hit in febuary 5 7lbers 3 8lbers and 5 9lbers but this was on a water with huge amounts of bream in.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've caught plenty of bream in the 3lb to 6lb class in winter but I've never had a prolonged and serious go at catching big ones.

But a water that produced the one time record bream at over 16lb, Copmere in Staffordshire, fishes better in winter for big ones, so I'm told, than it does in summer, with double-figure bream being taken regularly.

C

Carp Angler

A lake local to me has good tench fishing in the winter.
Thick weed and dispersed shoals mean that summer fishing is patchy at best.
In the winter, you can fine right down with no worries and they tend to shoal up.
3 fish a day is good in summer, I've had 17 in an afternoon in winter, although milder days are best.

S

Stewart Bloor

Remember the days (not too long ago) when carp were considered a summer fish and to go for them in the winter would have been considered madness?
I think we should be more innovative in our thinking and not simply conditioned by what the staus quo dictates.
Go for it John, you may be pleasantly surprised !!

S

Stewart Bloor

Can't believe I put John, I meant Neil. SORRY !!
Amnesia is setting in !!!!!

C

Carp Angler

Sedge
Amnesia is for carp hooklengths, not for bream.
You'll probably need something a bit more subtle.(like me)

P

Philip Inzani

Neil, I think that it is worth a go. I remeber reading something by Jim Gibbison where he said he was putting some time aside for big bream in the winter. I cannot imagine that he would consider doing it if it was basically a lost cause.
I do know one water where the guys who target them with mini bolies do it in winter bacause they got fed up with being pestered by Carp in the summer.....makes a change to hear it the other way round I suppose!

J

john conway

The local Lancaster lads tell me that big bream, 10lb plus, are caught ocassionally on the Lansil Anglers stretch of the Lune. However the catch is, it's better at night, the river has to be quite low and you have to find out where they shoal up. Fortunately the Lune does drop pretty quickly and you fish big, size 4's or 8's with bread or worm, making it somewhat easier in the dark and cold. So I've just bought one of those petrol tilly lamps and a pair of Boom 80 thermal wellies and I'm dead keen to give it a go over the Christmas break and the rest of the winter.

D

dai gribble

Big bream are certainly a viable proposition in winter. I can confirm Graeme's comments that Cop Mere in Staffordshire produces big bream in winter having taken 3 doubles this month. In my experience they only come out at night, generally after midnight so winter breaming is not for the half hearted. If you're interested in trying Cop Mere E-mail me at dai@daiandjill.fsnet.co.uk

J

John Cady

Carp angler do you know much of the bream of Rockford Pit at Ringwood ?

D

David Will

I witnessed a 10lb Bream from Startops Tring in February , frost on the ground.It fell to my mate although it was an accidental capture , we were after Tench !!!.

D

Dave Johnson

Dai, its July mate, your three bream this month are summer jobbies mate-I know it gets cold and windy at night on there-especially after youve been in the Star for an hour or two......

had a walk round today and saw a huge dead fish at the roadside peg just off the platform, 2nd one round from the boathouse-probably a good 14/15lb + fish
I'm gonna see how Jason (the bream) does before I commit, i still have too much enthusiasm for running water at the mo.
Dave

C

Carp Angler

John,

yes, the bream in Rockford weren't particulary large when I last fished there, but were getting there now that it is receiving some carp attention.

I've had a few out to 6 or 7lb on groundbait feeder and maggot.
I've seen them rolling well, but it's generally been at 150 yards plus.
Don't expect big bags unless you're trying on the inside for the skimmers.

It's a pretty good winter water fishing punch and crumb on the inside for skimmers and roach.

If you want some more up to date info I'll make some enquiries.

D

Dai Gribble

Dave, if you look carefully you'll see my last post on this subject was in December - by my reckoning that's winter!

D

Dave Johnson

apologies Dai, my error. I bet its even colder in December? I t was a bit cool today when I walked round

J

John Cady

Carp Angler, fished Rockford 15 07 01 round by alice pub.Fished g/bait feeder but stuggled for few roach plus one tench.no one else getting much,i dont think its fishing very well for anyone at the moment.if you hear any different any when please let me know.Decided to lower my sights ,maybe crowes will produce mid week ,hope to get some tench there.(Jeez Match fishing was easier than this.(Jeez Match fishing was easier than this).Looked at avon at Fordingbridge and Gorley Corner also looks daunting.MANy thanks for reply. Tight lines John.

O

Oliver Gale

river bream can be easy in winter particularly if the slices have been slung open as they are in somerset after the first bit of rain,just look for any water over 4 feet deep!!!