Big Fish - good or bad???

P

Paul Fletcher

Being an allrounder on the fishing scene - I love nothing better than chasing & catching big trout.

Now more and more waters are stocking big grown on rainbows - what's your views on this delicate subject?

Cheers

Fletch

R

Ron Clay

I've got nothing against big trout, provided they are of good quality. What I do take exception to are big fish with deformed fins or half a tail.

Personally I much prefer to fish for overwintered reservior fish that fight like hell and look like bright bars of silver. Size become secondary. Quality is far more important.

I also like to eat a trout or two and you cannot beat an overwintered 11/2 to 2 pounder on this score.

P

Paul Fletcher

I agree with you Ron. There's nothing better than catching a lovely silver overwintered rainbow.

I've been lucky to have fish to 13lbs+ from smaller stocked lakes however my 'best' fish is a nice 6lbs rainbow from Foremark a few years ago - full tail - beautiful!

I hear that Hanningfield are opening for a couple of weeks before stocking this year. Their plan is to give anglers a chance to catch a real overwintered biggie!

Like you say, there's no problem with quality big fish - its whatever takes you fancy - if you don't like it then do fish for them - simple eh!!

All the best

Fletch

R

Ron Clay

I've caught many double figure trout from stocked lakes.

However the BEST trout I ever caught in my life was a 4lb 3oz wild brownie taken on a nymph from a feeder stream to a Orange Free State reservior at 6500 feet above sea level way back in 1985.

I'll never forget that fish.

P

Paul Fletcher

Sounds great Ron!

I caught a wild brownie just yesterday whilst grayling fishing on the Upper Derwent in Derbyshire. It was a gorgeous wild fish of about 6oz.

I also managed a dozen ladies which made it a great day!

Cheers

Fletch

R

Ron Clay

Cheers Paul, it's nice to know that there still are anglers about with a proper sense of values.