Big Hello to forum members

seaapprentice

Reaction score
Hello,

New to the website, decided to join after reading a very interested feature called 'Black Death on the Irwell'.
I fish with my fiance, Karen from a Kayak. Different I know, but once you have fished from a Kayak there is no going back to bank fishing. Up until the past two years where I have mainly fished at sea although I was a very keen coarse angler. I started fishing canals (Bridgewater & Rochdale) before moving onto trying all aspects of fishing. This varied from carp fishing to fishing the upper Dee for Grayling. I can safely say I have tried and been sussessful at catching all freshwater fish from a wide range of waters. The only fish that has eluded me is a Salmon. I am no where near as intense about my fishing as I was in my 20's and 30's but the passion is just as strong :D. This year I want to explore the freshwater possiblilities open to kayak fishing. There are not mainy venues that allow fishing from a kayak so with a limited selection of Rudyard Lake, Hollingworth Lake, Pennington Flash, Winsford Flash, River Irwell & Canals it will be interesting to see what we catch.

Cheers Andrew

seaapprentice

Reaction score
Our first session was two weeks ago on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. We caught over 40 roach and hybrids on 2 Mt whips and breadpunch in 3 foot of water. In the last hour we fished for pike, catching two small but very welcome jack pike on a cold February day. Its great being at water level, venues look and feel a whole lot different.

Cheers Andrew

seaapprentice

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. You might be surprised to know there is a growing number of anglers starting to fish from kayaks. Most of them fish on the sea, with only a few venturing onto freshwater on a regular basis. Remember guys before you judge me, I am an angler first and a kayaker second. Don't compare me with the selfish paddlers who disrespect other water users whilst they enjoy there passion. When I am on the water I am thinking as an angler and try not to disrupt other anglers. It is early days with regard to how freshwater fish react to 4 mts of plastic floating above there heads, but so far so good. They are disturbed by a strong paddling action in the water but do not seem to be bothered by the kayak itself. The session on the canal proved in clear, shallow water catching Roach 2 mts away from the kayak that! When spring eventually arrives I can't wait to have a go at catching Bream and Pike on the larger reservoirs / lakes.

Cheers Andrew

Rickrod

Reaction score
Hello seaapprentice and welcome to fm i see a few anglers fishing the creeks around here for the bass