BIG ivel barbel

Y

yoggy

;-] ;-].steve, he lives opposite the pub,i met him walking his dog a couple of year back,he came over for a chat whilst i was fishing.He invited me over at the end of my session to look at some photographs,what a fantastic bloke he is,you wouldn`t believe his 90!!,some of the tips and advice his given me has been invaluable.My Barbel and Chub fishing improved no-end after talking to him,he knows that stretch like the back of his hand.Unfortunatly he no longer fishes,he packed up when he was 87 through back problems!!!.I wouldn`t have caught those Blunham fish if it wasn`t for him.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Not much of a walk from Blunham towards the viaduct, and thats the place for the big girls, were the split is. Too much dog poo for me, cant stand the stuff.

C

Chub King

There can't be many fish there surely???
I spent two whole days lightly baiting spots and crawling around getting stung to bits and didn't see a single barbel or chub above the weir at Blunham. Actually, I lie. Saw a 3lb chevin near the old railway bridge.
River's too small for me. I must scare them all away with my big clod hopper feet!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It won't be your feet Greg, the mug shot's enough!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Told you time and time again, its them cheapo Boots off the shelf glasses you got.

colsmiff

Reaction score
The Ivel was featured as a barbel river in this months CF. Best get in there before the circus.

Y

yoggy

Greg,if you fancy a trip on the 11th,myself steve and nick are more than likely to be at Blunham.....we could show you around!!!!!...not giving owt away..those big girls could be closer than you think!!! ;-]

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I will of course have to accompany Greg.

C

Chub King

I doubt they'll let me out of the office, or even unchain me from the desk on a Monday! You down there in the evening? I could try and get down there but it would have to be after work.
I'd say you really want to be there right now though. The Nene was a mess this weekend and the upper Welland even more so. Typical. Have to go back to work just when the perfect conditions arrive!
Still can't believe there are upper doubles in that poxy little bit of river. Don't get me wrong, lovely looking place, but I could wee across it!

C

Chub King

I love the bend right at the top of the stretch near the railway bridge. Could have sworn that was a banker barbel peg but nothing came out of the snags in the eight hours I was there last!

Y

yoggy

Greg the 11th is a sunday!!!!..this sunday!!,myself and nick are going but steve is yet to confirm it.I know what you mean about that stretch,i had 7 or 8 agonising blank trips until i had George put me right!!!The Nene is virtually on my doorstep,but its been bloody crap this end,so i havn`t fished it for about 4weeks,most of the smaller backwaters are far better.The old Nene produced 25lb of Roach recently in my book thats not bad going.The local drains have been patchy for pike although a couple of 20lb+ have been had.The Nene at Nassington and Elton have produced Barbel in the last 2weeks but nothing of real size.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
it dont matter if you can do the hop skip and jump across it....it holds some cracking fish!!! i can show you back brook sections of the nene that have bloody big 5lb+ chub swimming in it,specimen carp and bream as well and barbel topping 10lbs+ and perch over 4lbs as well.
i also know of a section of the river ise that holds 2lbs roach with the odd 3lber as well!!!
both of these waters look like most other back brooks,you can jump across them at places or you could quite happily wade across them in places in your wellies.the good thing is though,hardly anyone bothers with them!!!

owzatsteve

Reaction score
hi nick , by the way chub king i think theres a poxy little river close by that with a good boot up the harris that i could probely jump over i,m not sure but i think a traveller lives there ,poxy little river with a 21lb barbel in it ,nuff said i think and like nick said some of the ditch,s off the ivel hold some cracking chub ,pike and perch .yoggy i,m struggling for the 11th due to having a match the day before but i,m still trying by the way my match on the guc a hard fought 8oz lovely day NOT . CHEERS STEVE

C

Chub King

So it is. Looked at my 2006 diary by mistake. Could well take a gander up there if my girlfriend signs my pass. She coukld be working 3-6pm which means I have to look after the kids. If not, I could well see you up there.
Point taken about the Mill. Poxy little stream!

owzatsteve

Reaction score
lol i bet you,ve got bloody good eyesight to see through the ones you,ve got

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
steve,have you fished the ivel before??? i`d be interested in what tackle and tactics you use...infact i`m always interested in what methods other folk are using cos there is always something new to try.
would my normal chubbing method be okay??? line straight through to the hook or would a fluro hooklength be better for those wary chub???
one other thing,is it very weedy at blunham??? i used to pass the vauxhall/ipa stretch that runs behind the service station on the a1 at sandy evry night and that was festooned with weed.

owzatsteve

Reaction score
hi nick to be honest i,ve been fishing the ivel for 35 years and i wouldent even look at blunham if you want really big chub to 8 lb look no further than jordans mill if you want chub to 6lb and plenty of them its the maggot feeder on the common if you want the chub and big barbel its the back meadows with bread or halibut pellet to be honest if you and yoggy are going to blunham next week take a bookif you need any info give us a ring 01763243762 tight lines mate

Y

yoggy

Steve,,change of plan...!!!!!..i`ll bell you later in week,cheers.