Big Roach, how do you find them?

Philip

Reaction score
Phillip seems to have found a hot spot, on a river as well which must be more difficult.

Its not so much a case of finding a hot spot Mark as creating one. While looking for the fish is a viable tactic on smaller venues, on bigger deeper venues with allot of water you are going to face an uphill struggle trying to track down a relatively small fish like a Roach. Of course you got to be in the general ball park area but you can make things allot easier by getting the fish to come to you with bait.

Making a 1 hour round trip to bait up everyday is hard work. Not to mention all the bait preparation - buying the bait, soaking it, cooking it, bucketing it up and then lugging it to the river and throwing it in without anyone seeing you (which is a misson in itself) …it’s a slog ! But the rewards can be there after.

In terms of swim selection I am currently fishing at depths between 4.5 to 5.5m so say around 16 foot. I don’t like anything decaying or too soft on the bottom…so old weed, black silt and so on I avoid. I like a solid bottom, gravel, sand etc and a slow walking pace current at normal river level. Any weed I pull in has to smell fresh. I don’t need a specific feature to fish to as the bait will be the feature although I have done quite well fishing to slacker areas near cover in the past as well…fallen trees and the like but these can be a magnet to other fish too..Chub Especially.
I also cant stress enough how important it is for me to try and ensure no one elses fishes the same swim. The only pressure on the fish I want to be from me. I want them to be unpressured at all other times so they can eat the bait in peace. This is so important that I will even intentionally pick "worse" swims I know other anglers will probably walk past...so with difficult access or near a much better looking swim..anything really to put people off fishing it as best I can.

For what its worth the fish I am currently posting on the HDYGO thread have come from 2 different rivers (both French) neither has a track record for big fish & If I float fished maggots I would catch literally hundreds of 1 to 6oz Roach & not even realize there were bigger ones there.

Importantly I now try and target the big ones specifically by using hard baits and ignoring all the knocks and trembles and waiting for a good solid pull. I know some people may think that’s hot air but the facts are this ;

On the first river over a period of about 3 months I caught @90 Roach, 30 of those were over 1lb to 2+. On the second river, in a handful of sessions I have had 30 Roach, 19 of those have been over a pound also to 2+.

So in a total of @120 Roach , 40% have been over 1lb from two different rivers stuffed with small ones. By anyone’s measure that can’t be down to just luck. That’s proof you can single out the bigger ones intentionally.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thanks Phillip, fascinating stuff, you put a lot of work and thought into that and the Artists blog as well, very interesting and not to mention all the other answers, great replies, thanks. It has given me plenty of ideas and I will be able to implement some of them on my "poor" roach rivers in the future.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Two pounders used to come out of the GtOuse around Newport Pagnell,though the biggest I had there was 1lb10ozs(lost a bigger one in an open match the same day,at the net),ive had roach to 1lb 14ozs at Bedford,with a few above 1lb 8ozs over the years,one thing to add to Rob's lovely blog,big roach(2's) are solitary creatures in the main,some rivers have shoals of them,most however have odd fish(that you see),one maybe two that ghost out similar to chub,have a look at what's being offered and glide away again,reappearing at times,not appearing to eat much of anything and certainly not being part of the shoals of it's smaller brethren,using them as bait tasters more like,the latter is more on rivers. I believe there are more of them than we think and yes they are bloody crafty....

silvers

Reaction score
I would certainly be foolish to say they don’t exist in the Ouse, just that I haven’t seen them, whereas I’ve caught 2 pounders from both Wye and Severn, despite fishing them much, much less. On the other hand the Ouse is a fabulous roach river, for match stamp fish of 4-10oz.
the average size of the roach on those two rivers that rise on Plynlimon is generally much higher in my experience. On one match at Hereford I had 40 pounds in about two hours, with peas in a pod pounders.

My biggest, 2 pounds and 8 oz, was caught by accident in a bag of chub on the Wye ... out of town in the winter. As you do when chubbinrg I was winding the fish in fast to keep them moving and then lent in hard to pop the mouth out to get it to gulp and be ready for netting. When the dainty mouth of a roach surfaced I nearly had a meltdown!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
“then lent in hard to pop the mouth out to get it to gulp and be ready for netting“

not a practice I’ve heard of before, does the “gulp” indicate the fish has no fight left?

mikench

Reaction score
Oh I saw this post John and thought he knows and will reveal all. It's like the dark arts. One day! ;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh I saw this post John and thought he knows and will reveal all. It's like the dark arts. One day! ;)

the thing is, I’ve done this unwittingly, I’ll give myself a pat on the back.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I was fortunate to have locally during the late 50, 60s, and especially 70s, the very productive Kennet, Loddon and, to a lesser extent, the Colne that also used to produce 2lb plus fish. My only 3lb+ (3.4) fish was caught during an LAA river match in 1964 at Theale on the Kennet - the nearest since was a 2.14, also from the Kennet and the only one of the two I still have photos. In the five years since I moved I have not manage a 2lb+ fish but have been very close with at least 50 over the 1lb 8oz mark from the local rivers and streams.
roach kennet 2.14.jpg

silvers

Reaction score
Especially with chub, if you get the head up above the surface they pretty much give up the fight.

so not an indication, but a tactic to finish the fight as early as possible before the chub dives for the near bank weeds!

Last edited:

bencarvosso

Reaction score
I seem to be stuck on 1.15lb over here in ireland. Had quite a few that weight. No matter how hard I bounce the scales they won't go 2lb
Haven't tried for them this year but might when pike fishing on some of the loughs here in the north west.
20160502_113617.jpg
FB_IMG_1459722688138.jpg
20160425_141241.jpg

Reaction score
Big rudd are simply amazing fish looks wise and probably more scarce than big roach,area dependant I suppose...

Sean89

Reaction score
Biggest I’ve had so far thought I’d include the perch as that came on the same day and looked stunning imo ?

Attachments

• FC0BB83D-1351-4F4F-9EF8-E57C1C2D55F8.jpeg
    FC0BB83D-1351-4F4F-9EF8-E57C1C2D55F8.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 112
  • C429B826-EB71-4E30-B2CE-87E602F8967B.jpeg
    C429B826-EB71-4E30-B2CE-87E602F8967B.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 138
  • 17CE7E90-31FD-4DCC-9C1B-B73171135B4A.jpeg
    17CE7E90-31FD-4DCC-9C1B-B73171135B4A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 59EE2B70-374B-4C33-9F13-2B7BAAD224F6.jpeg
    59EE2B70-374B-4C33-9F13-2B7BAAD224F6.jpeg