Biggest Barbel

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Out of interest, why wasn't the record claimed?
To keep the circus away or a no publicity rule?

Paul. Owens

Reaction score
Spot on there. They were carp anglers and did not want the publicity and hype, I also think there may be a publicity ban too.

Ginger

Reaction score
How come the carp anglers are catching them and you lads are`nt? Or are you?

B

Big Rik

are these genuine fish?

I only ask as most carp anglers weights of others species are spurious to say the least.
They seem to think that because it's the same length as a 20lb carp, then it must weigh the same.
The overly inflated claims about bream weights is a prime example, forget the fact that bream only have a quarter of the depth and width.

Obviously everybody who can't get to fish the Ouse would love to believe the Trent has thrown up bigger fish, but until there's proper proof then it's just idle speculation.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Wernt a mate of the blokes mate who's cousins brother had that big Eel?

B

Big Rik

so nothing back from the Trent anglers then?

Nobody heard of taking a photo against a brolly or bivvy so you can't tell the venue?

Ginger

Reaction score
The " Traveller " is the fish that has broken the Ouse and national record a few times,are the big barbel being caught on other rivers also known fish and repeat captures?

Chevin Smith

Reaction score
Apart from the Thames and Trent, they are usually recaptures. I say apart from because that on a river like the two mentioned they can travel from miles and get caught but you might not know about it.

Whereas on the ouse they have a very small distance to travel and are easy to keep track of what and when it has been caught.

The wensum fish are repeats though they are not caught as much as the ouse fish. There is also no publicity so it is not a surpise you have not heard anything. There is just the occasional article to inform you if you are not in the know.

Re the big trent fish, i believe that they are true and the reason that they are kept quiet is because that the carpers do not wnat to give away their going areas - which is understandable.

Ginger

Reaction score
Chevin,you say that the Ouse fish have a very small distance to travel,i don`t know the Ouse but what stops the fish from moving either further up or down river?

F

Fred Bonney

I'm not as certain as you are of that,especially in flood conditions.

Ginger

Reaction score
Fred,i believe you`re a Trent angler,whats your views on the "Trent Monsters".

F

Fred Bonney

Ginger,I see no reason why they shouldn't exist in such a vast river but, I personally,have seen no evidence.
When I fished the Ouse, I never saw a fish in excess of 15lb but,comparing that fish to other photo's,I was certain there were bigger fish.
If Tony & Paul have,seen evidence,then I'm happy with that,they have no reason to make it up.

B

Big Rik

so you've seen genuine, non-digital photos of these fish, if so, and you can put your hand on your heart and tell me you think they're genuine, then I'll accept that?

T

Tony Rocca

Cant do that Rik so dont accept it.
Whats it matter anyway.

B

Big Rik

it matters not a jot to me, as I'm very unlikely to seriously fish the Trent, it's just one of those things which annoy me, when people spout myths about fish, be they true or not.
If you're going to tell people about the fish, then do so, if you're not, because you don't want people fishing anywhere near you, then don't tell anybody.

and thank you for being honest.