Bit of a Dilema, what would u do?

R

Rob Brownfield

If you were fishing a water, say, a certain water where several huge fish live, and, during the coarse of your visit, a certain fish called Mary falls to one of your rods, and , well, say U sacked her over night to get a good pic in the morning and weigh her acuratly. and well, she dies during the night. What would you do????

Would u claim the capture and have her set up? Would you slip the body back and run?..It could happen one day, any comments?

L

Lawrence Mackenzie

Well Rob,
seeing the way that society has gone,"the i'm alright Jack society"that is,i'd try and get away with claiming a record,say i'd put it back alive,but have it set up under a bogus name,then sell it.

C

Carp Angler

It wouldn't happen to me as I don't sack fish.

BTW, Mary is a he.

R

Rob Brownfield

Correct, Mary is a he...sorry..lol
What I was getting at was that one day, one of these big fish is going to peg it on the bank, weaher sacked, dropped, natural causes etc. What would the angler do?

P

Paul Williams

Rob, You are right it will happen!!
a long time ago i did indeed have a very big fish die on me!!
At the time i was so ashamed i buried it and tried to put it to the back of my mind.
Looking back and knowing what i know now i can honestly say i did nothing that would have killed it if it had been healthy, i honestly believe that it was an old fish........OK theres my confession, why did you ask the question?? :eek:)

P

Paul Williams

PS
yes i did claim the capture, i did catch it....but at the end of the day it certainly isn't my favourite days fishing so it proves that biggest ain't always best!!

R

Rob Brownfield

paul, I was just wondering, thats all :eek:) I have had to kill a fish as it was so badly injured (found it in the margins, had been hit by a boat, laying on its side gasping with half its back missing!!)

I was just wondering what people would do?

P

Paul Williams

Rob,
Damn!! i thought this was going to be a confessional thread!!! lol :eek:)

B

Buzz Kerby

If it happened abroad he would most likly be eaten or in oz hed be thrown up the bank

P

Paul Williams

Hi Buzz welcome to Fishingmagic, what you want to throw me up the bank for, or worse still eat me!! :eek:)

B

Buzz Kerby

Sorry for that i didnt want to upset the carp fishing lads and call Mary a she as its a he???????????

B

Buzz Kerby

Under the thread heading of "a bit of a dilema,what would you do" eating you or throwing you up the bank would be a bit of a dilema !

B

Buzz Kerby

So do I, just out of interest what was the fish you buried ?

D

Dean Hill

What dilema, if its dead its dead. I dont think for one minute an angler would kill a big fish on purpose. If it was a well known fish then joe public should be made aware and suitable burial arrangements made,with, the obligatory wake.....of course.

B

Buzz Kerby

Nothing, I used to like herbal ciggs when i was younger and the name has stuck

B

Buzz Kerby

In reply to Dean what about the chap that knocked the two Rudd out? and there are still daft people out there that dont give much thought to how fishermen are looked apon by the rest of the public maybe not on these pages or within the circle of people you know but they are out thereline left on the bank etc its a shame but it does happen.

A

andrew jackson

I dont know about coming clean, so a public funeral could take place. In the case of a big known fish, like Mary. Some anglers have devoted large chunks of their lifes, trying to catch them. Somehow I do not think they would be quite so rational and philosophical, about it. Rather than being applauded for your honesty, I think you would be lynched.
Whats done is done, I would put the fish back and keep my mouth shut. Somebody would find the fish pretty soon any how.
Imagine people saying things like "where do I know your face from"? " Oh yeah thats it, I remember now, your the guy who killed Mary"!
No sorry, cowards way out for me ,thank you very much.

David Preston

Reaction score
What normally happens to big fish like that when they peg it? I'm thinking of the one from Devon, for example (name escapes me).