Bite alarms.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Apart from fishing for carp I use them for live-baiting for perch. If there are no pike I use a Fluro trace, if there are I use a light wire trace. I use a fairly heavy weight with a length of line to a swivel. I thread the smallest type of Zeppler type float up the mainline then pass the mainline through the swivel and connect it to the trace. So basically a running paternoster with the float free running. The rod is pointed directly at the float with no bobbin or indicator on the line. I set the bait runner just tight enough so that the live-bait can’t take line. As the perch approaches the float starts to jiggle about and as it lakes the live-bait you get a single tone. It’s very sensitive and as the resistance is constant I have had very few dropped takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philip

Reaction score
Apart from fishing for carp I use them for live-baiting for perch. If there are no pike I use a Fluro trace, if there are I use a light wire trace. I use a fairly heavy weight with a length of line to a swivel. I thread the smallest type of Zeppler type float up the mainline then pass the mainline through the swivel and connect it to the trace. So basically a running paternoster with the float free running. The rod is pointed directly at the float with no bobbin or indicator on the line. I set the bait runner just tight enough so that the live-bait can’t take line. As the perch approaches the float starts to jiggle about and as it lakes the live-bait you get a single tone. It’s very sensitive and as the resistance is constant I have had very few dropped takes.

Are you putting a float stop on the mainline above the float Ray ?

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Are you putting a float stop on the mainline above the float Ray ?

No the float is free running. It’s mainly there to make the line from the weight to the float almost perpendicular. When the fish takes it doesn’t have to sink the float, though in practice the take can be fierce and the float goes under as the line straightens anyway.

Philip

Reaction score
Thanks..i have been doing something similar when after Zander. Alot of people attach the lead link of paternosters to the trace which means the fish has to drag the lead when it takes.

I think your right about the resistance being kept constant as well....changes in resistance can cause the fish to drop the bait.

Philip

Reaction score
And then ask your self was it it worth it. !

Yes ?

I'd say as worth it to the person doing it as going down the Pier to fish for Bass, or going down the canal to fish for Roach or making your own floats.

I suspect many non anglers would ask is it worth going fishing at all Mark.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes ?

I'd say as worth it to the person doing it as going down the Pier to fish for Bass, or going down the canal to fish for Roach or making your own floats.

I suspect many non anglers would ask is it worth going fishing at all Mark.
Ha fair comment, I was being a bit tongue in cheek but, in truth I would find fishing for 10 carp for years in a big gravel pit a stretch bite alarms or not although I can see the challenge being the draw however, I would just get so bored and count the hours of my life ticking away. Fishing for bass on the pier etc. or even making making very bad floats, well, given the choice. But we are all different and every one to their own as they say.

steve2

Reaction score
I have nothing against bite alarms but can someone tell me why they come with range of 400 metres when you are suppose to be in control of your rods? The rule I believe is 3 metre.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have nothing against bite alarms but can someone tell me why they come with range of 400 metres when you are suppose to be in control of your rods? The rule I believe is 3 metre.

Mainly because that is not a real world figure. The reality is that vegetation, terrain, atmospherics and interference from umpteen different sources reduces that theoretical range massively. The stupid quoted ranges are little more than an assurance that they should work at a sensible range in all but the most extreme situations.

John Aston

Reaction score
I have no problem with them at all on lakes , as long as they are used considerately . But , for reasons I cannot quite explain , I cannot stand the damned things on rivers. Possibly because they are used primarily by born again barbel anglers , many of whom have zero watercraft and who seem to regard every trip as an excuse to have what they irritatingly term a 'social '....

Philip

Reaction score
Or alternativley known as having "fun"

...How dare they.?

John Aston

Reaction score
My idea of fun when fishing is quietly enjoying the environment while catching some fish . Loudly effing and blinding with your mates on the river bank while necking lager(other stimulants are available ) and playing music is something I'd only do at gunpoint...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My idea of fun when fishing is quietly enjoying the environment while catching some fish . Loudly effing and blinding with your mates on the river bank while necking lager(other stimulants are available ) and playing music is something I'd only do at gunpoint...
I think that is a stretch, you have gone from using bite alarms to what you describe above, the two don't necessarily go together. That behavior can come from any angler whether they are carp anglers with bite alarms or not. I am sure Philip didn't mean that when he said having fun.

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
Whatever- I have witnessed it more than once amongst the new breed of barbel 'angler', but 'serious' carpers are far better behaved . Better not ask about some of the rest...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score

Sounds like the last FM trip to Boddington.

Philip

Reaction score
We all know everyone on FM hates a bivvy but it appears to deflect attention from some of the other antics going on in front of our faces.

For example I can honestly say the worst & most frequent examples of widespread bankside hogging, mess, noise and chaos I see are in fishing matches. They take out huge swathes of bank, ruining the fishing for everyone else, not to mention being the absolute extreme example of anglers who are ONLY interested in what it weighs.

They then sit there moaning about the selfish carpers who cast right across the tiny pond with overgunned rods as they struggle to weild 16m of Carbon pole to place a tiny float by the far bank or complain about excessive spodding as they launch out a groundbait bombardment that would do the dam busters proud. They then erect a fishing station that takes on the proportions of a electricity pylon and enough nets to do a deep sea trawler proud. As for bite alarms I am surprised they can hear them over the Klaxon.

Yes lets all go and see the proper anglers hunting their quarry & studying to be quiet at the 60 peg fishing match : ....Utter rowlocks !

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Philip, who’s upset you and ruffled your feathers?

Unlike another fishing forum that I know a great deal of us on FM don’t even fish matches. and some of us have been fishing in bivvies now and then for years, and a lot more on FM (including me) have spent years doing both plus a lot of other things.

So don’t get upset by a bit of banter, plus a bit of moaning about things that grind us down when we are trying to catch fish and relax in peace and quiet when we go fishing. Just chill out a bit :) (y)

Keith

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
You have to look for the humour(ish) element in it Keith. ...its subtle I grant you...:)

Maybe the question you should also be asking is when someone starts a thread asking if bite alarms are pathetic on the Carp forum then should they really be surprised if they get some flak back for it ? ;)

peterjg

Reaction score
Like Keith I also have a pair of Herons - they were horrible to use, the only way to use them was with two line clips otherwise they would go off with just pressure on the line. I bought a pair of Optonics and converted them. In the early '90s I made a pair of bite alarms using the PCB from a novelty key ring - those buzzers lasted for 17 years, they had 8 different sounds (my favourite was the hand grenade effect) and were really silly - I was constantly asked if I would sell them or give a demo! I also made a remote sounderbox for them from a cordless doorbell - again really silly!

I also made a backup alarm set for my son from a laughing policeman toy they worked from a vibration senser - they were also a cause of much hilarity!

Now I don't carp fish but I sometimes use a buzzer when upstream legering on rivers when roach fishing or when legering in lakes. Nothing wrong with buzzers as long as they are used with consideration for others.

flearoy

Reaction score
i use three when im after proper carp but sound is always off on them and reciever is on minamal during sleep time i don`t know why people have the so loud in the day because you should by your rods most alarms have led`s you can see