Bite Alarms

M

mark tullett

I'm thinking of getting some new alarms. I have some Bi-tech Viper Micros which are getting in a bit of a state!, having been in the water a few times and trodden on (thanks William!)alot of the casing of 1 is now solid epoxy resin!
GFM's look good value as they can be used as drop off's, anyone else got any ideas? Delkims are too pricey. Mark

C

Carp Angler

I bought 3 F** MX alarms, I think they're about ?30 each now.
Bloody good, no nonsense alarm, that is reliable with variable sensitivity, tone and volume.
Being F**, I'd like to say it's an overpriced piece of junk, but it isn't and unless you're buying second hand, I think they're excellent value for money.

M

mark tullett

Thanks Rik,I must admit I'd forgotten those, they've bought out a more upmarket version but it's twice the price. I'll have agood look @ them

C

Carp Angler

Yeah, I saw the MMX, can't see how it can be twice as good as the MX, but more expensive always means better, doesn't it?

A

Andy Davis

I bought some Mx's, have had no problems so far, even in the cold & wet, local tackle shop gave me some good advice !!

R

Rob Brownfield

I love my Delkims, but after some theiving bastard nicked one whilst I was on holiday, I had to by a cheap replacment pronto, so I got one of those Fox alarms that retail under ?20. I am inpressed!!!!! Bloody good for the money.

P

Philip Inzani

Mark, I have 4 of the GFM alarms and they have been very very reliable. I have really mistreated them but they still work without fault. I think the guy who makes them (Mr Peck) also made the Bi-techs. The ones I have are the old models with the square box rather than the new type with "ears" but the insides are much the same....he said he only changed the case as the box shape was not trendy enough and he was losing sales. I got them for about 20 quid each. Two of them have the drop back socket but I have never used it. Only downsides have been that they can sometimes bleep a bit in strong wind even on the lowest sensitivity and I did have a bit of a problem finding an extension box that worked well with them. Those two things apart I have been happy.

A

Andy Davis

Rik, no I already had them, besides she was even came with me when I bought those rods ;-)

P

Paul Williams

I've had Optonics, (Standard and converts) f*x, and now Delkims, they all do the job!! oh yeah for those of you who can remember them i also had Herons and BJ's......the first optonics were gifts from the gods in comparison!!!
We really are spoiled for choice, i know it's fashion (justified usually) to knock todays "expensive" gear but alarm wise their are some real bargains to be had, i would however advise going for a major player.
Incidently this morning i had to phone Delkim for a part, i told them what i needed and there are three in the post....f.o.c.

A

andrew jackson

I too whent down the BJ, Optonic and Delkim road. A good freind of mine invested in a set of delk's, but I resisted. Insisting that my optonics with twitcher wheels, were ample for the job in hand. That was until I witnessed same said freind landing carp from single bleeps on the delk's, set at maximum sensitivity. My old opo's didn't stand a chance. Those alarms were, and still are, putting fish on the bank. Especially in winter you cannot find a better alarm. My advice would be to buy second hand delkims. As Paul has highlighted, their customer care is exellent so you could buy with confidence.

M

mark tullett

I had Optonics years ago but Herons.....I didn't know they were easy to train!.
Looks like it's F** or GFM's. Even second hand Delkims are pricey. Are either of these as sensitive as Delkims, Philip you seem to be saying the GFM's are too sensitive?

David Preston

Reaction score
I got a couple of the plain vanilla F*x M's last Nov, and they've been fine so far. (And a guy on the market sells the batteries for 2 quid a pair!)

M

Malcolm Bason

I purchased a couple of Shakespeare alarms about three months ago - BAD MOVE! They work ok enough when its dry but after an hour or two of steady rain they pack in. I also have to undo 5 screws to get at the insides, for battery change, drying out etc. Useless!

P

Philip Inzani

Mark, yes they are a bit sensitive for the kind of fishing I am doing but I am spending quite a bit of time on rivers with the tips high and in a wind they do bleep a bit where as with a Delkim the range of senstivity is wider so you would avoid this to a greater extent. For pit/lake/general fishing they are great, certainly not in the same league as a Delkim/top Fox but not priced in that bracket either.

M

Mark Robinson

Hi lads i've been using the new MMX's and so far they have been great value,i thought the dropback variation was a novelty at first but when fish are being finicky it does actually help.