Bivvys

P

paul williams

I presently use 2 types of shelter, a Cyprydome and a Brotel type. I am thinking of buying aother. I need ideas on a bivvy that's quick to erect and move/takedown but still offers luxuries such as sewn-in groundsheet etc.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's got to be the Fox Evolution. There's a review on this web site. I got mine for review and my mates Dave and Eddie went straight out and bought one each as soon as they saw it.

E

EDDIE BIBBY

Yes the Evolution brolly is the one. It doesnt have a sewn-in groundsheet but a clip-in one which is easily unclipped should you not require it.

P

Philip Inzani

The Evolution has had some very good reviews and it is really light but the one thing to bear in mind is that it is quite a long package, off the top of my head I think its still 6'6 when broken down. I would take a look round a busy Carp lake or go to a big tackle shop and actually play around with a few before you make a choice as there are loads out there now although you may well come back to the Evolution anyway.

M

Mike Fidler

Paul, nice thougth the Evolution is, It's still expensive, Have a quick look in this month's Coarse Fisherman. Badger Classics Ltd offer a very similar product called the horizon shelter for ?35 quid. Is the Evolution brolly really worth ?134 pounds more?
Put it this way I will be ordering one and working out how I can spend the rest of the money saved!

C

Carp Angler

I've just bought a Fox Classic Easy Dome.

First time out it was up in less than 5 minutes and away in about 3.

I think I should be able to halve these times with practice.

Single skin porch, twin-skinned main body, triple skin roof, vented all round to reduce condensation (none apparent when I used it) built-in groundsheet, the main body is clipped in, so it can be easily removed for cleaning.

Now, I'm not generally a great lover of F** gear, but I'll have to say that this isn't a bad bit of kit. Easy to put up and take down, reasonable quality and a decent price.

Time will tell......

P

paul williams

I bumped into another angler this week who was using the Easy Dome, he used to use a Titan but much preferred his E.dome, With a quick errecting dome it makes one nighters in the winter a lot easier and still gives a lot of protection, I've got one high up on my list.

A

Andy Blessett

I've used a Relum Carp Dome for over a year and it's spot on. It cost me ?75 because the mossy net and outer door were sown on the wrong way round!, but that doesn't the tents quality at all. Obviously you need to shop around!

S

SIMON FORD

The bivvy that i use is the POWERPLUS `THE PROFESSIONAL`

It is the best bivvy that i have ever had, I will never have to buy another bivvy again!!!

The bivvy is a twin skin dome which is made of a thick cotton inner dome and the outer dome is rubberised nylon.
It comes with alloy poles as standard and a full lifetime guarantee (WHO ELSE DOES THAT???).

Previously I had a titan and I had to send it back to nashy 4 times because the tape on the inside kept coming off. I also had the extreme canopy for it and that had the same problems!!!

The price is ?345, a bit pricey but you will not have to buy another bivvy again.

Why pay ?330 for a Titan `Viper` when you can have extra room and a twin skin dome for an extra ?15?

C

Carp Angler

never heard of the Powerplus.

Who makes it and who sells it?

P

Paul Williams

Lifetime warranty? Bet I could wreck it!! Seriously, it sounds good but like Rik I ain't heard of it.

P

Paul Williams

I thought I had lost the others!!! I couldn't get on so I rejoined as I thought I had done for the others! I need to drop 2 otherwise Graham will charge me for 3 memberships!!! Help.

P

Paul Williams

HEY RIK, if Graham ever needs "Moderators" how high on the list would I be? ha ha ha ha.

S

SIMON FORD

You can get info on Powerplus bivvies from Carp Unlimited on 01206 760775.

PS, if you wreck bivvies on purpose then you have got more money than sense!!!

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
You catch another double from the L.Severn before me and you might just have one stuck up your ****!

Ooer, what have I done - Only kidding big man, honest!

M

margot twine

I just got one from Hypervalue sale, built-in groundsheet, double-zip storm front, same type as used for mountaineering - brilliant! Cost ?15 inc. compact carry case.

S

Simon Ford

well you ain`t hear of it then you must have seen the camo domes about somewhere either on the bank or in magazines that is what a powerplus bivvy looks like!