Bodge-job bait-dropper

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Several years ago I read a great many forum threads about barbel fishing. One piece of kit that got frequent mentions is the bait-dropper, obviously I needed to get one!

Looking on-line I could only find the heavy, metal contraptions that were made for using under the rod or with very short casts. I did not think they would suit my big river fishing so never bought one.

But I did buy a small spod bomb shaped thing that released bait on the surface, that had some use in summer when the flow was slow. It helped catch me some fish, good chub in particular.

But I still needed a casting bait-dropper and decided to bodge one out of bits in the garage. The plastic end cap from an old rod tube was a good start, just the right size for a handful of pellets. A stainless bracket from my bits box added support for the mechanism. Stainless wire, a couple of lead weights, some cable ties and a plastic cork would finish the job.......

IMG_20230813_122147.jpg
IMG_20230813_122315.jpg

When loaded with pellets the lid with the ends of the cable ties are pushed shut. The cork is shaped to be a latch on the lid, the cable ties act as springs when the latch is released. When the bait-dropper hits bottom the latch is released and the cable-ties act as springs to open the lid. A quick jerk of the rod tip and it empties the load.

Despite its fragile appearance I have managed 50 yd casts frequently, over several years, and the device is still intact.

OK, there are now commercially made spodding bombs that open on the bottom. But maybe a home made, ugly, bodge-job will give you some fun! :unsure: (y)

nottskev

Reaction score
Several years ago I read a great many forum threads about barbel fishing. One piece of kit that got frequent mentions is the bait-dropper, obviously I needed to get one!

Looking on-line I could only find the heavy, metal contraptions that were made for using under the rod or with very short casts. I did not think they would suit my big river fishing so never bought one.

But I did buy a small spod bomb shaped thing that released bait on the surface, that had some use in summer when the flow was slow. It helped catch me some fish, good chub in particular.

But I still needed a casting bait-dropper and decided to bodge one out of bits in the garage. The plastic end cap from an old rod tube was a good start, just the right size for a handful of pellets. A stainless bracket from my bits box added support for the mechanism. Stainless wire, a couple of lead weights, some cable ties and a plastic cork would finish the job.......

View attachment 27645View attachment 27646

When loaded with pellets the lid with the ends of the cable ties are pushed shut. The cork is shaped to be a latch on the lid, the cable ties act as springs when the latch is released. When the bait-dropper hits bottom the latch is released and the cable-ties act as springs to open the lid. A quick jerk of the rod tip and it empties the load.

Despite its fragile appearance I have managed 50 yd casts frequently, over several years, and the device is still intact.

OK, there are now commercially made spodding bombs that open on the bottom. But maybe a home made, ugly, bodge-job will give you some fun! :unsure: (y)

I like that, Steve. As you say, the heavy metal ones are clunky, dear and, in my hands, home in unerringly on rocks and snags.

Using the ties to push the door open when the door is light plastic - the metal ones drop under their own weight - is a clever touch.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I like that, Steve. As you say, the heavy metal ones are clunky, dear and, in my hands, home in unerringly on rocks and snags.

Using the ties to push the door open when the door is light plastic - the metal ones drop under their own weight - is a clever touch.

The cable ties only push the lid out a little, but enough so that when the rod tip is raised the door catches enough water pressure to fully open.

If this one finally disintegrates I still have the other cap from that rod tube and another metal bracket. It would be the work of minutes to knock up another. As long as this does the job I will not buy the commercial bomb-thingy!

nottskev

Reaction score
The cable ties only push the lid out a little, but enough so that when the rod tip is raised the door catches enough water pressure to fully open.

If this one finally disintegrates I still have the other cap from that rod tube and another metal bracket. It would be the work of minutes to knock up another. As long as this does the job I will not buy the commercial bomb-thingy!

I've only got one capped rod tube that has that elliptical shape. I'll have to search out something similar.

@Clive

Reaction score
Try the empty tubes that mastic comes in for a smaller version.

I still have some small metal banjo feeders, two large plastic Fox droppers and the Korum Boppers which is just as well as engineering isn't my thing.

Keith M

Reaction score
Those home made bait droppers that you use look really good.

Thankfully most of my bait droppers are made of black plastic anyway so I don’t really need to make my own baitdroppers.

I rarely need to cast my baitdroppers more than a few rod lengths out, but if I do need to lay a bed of small pellets further out or in a difficult position; without having to use a bait dropper or feeder; then I tend to use PVA Stocking; either with a stone added to make it sink; or tied to my end tackle; or nicked onto my hook if I’m using a hair rig.

Keith

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Different kind of thing, but here's a neat home-made item for dropping feed right on your pole-fishing spot. I remember you got a pole set-up sorted a while back, Clive, and I'm guessing you won't want to mess about with extra top sections for cupping kits etc. This one, you hang it on your stonfo, where it swings but never spills, ship it out and when you let the little bucket (bottom of pop bottle) rest on the water, the loop on the bucket comes off the hook whipped on the line it hangs from, and it when you lift up the bucket inverts ...... We all made these or similar in the days before all accessories came in plasticated packaging from AD. This one must be 30 years old. I bet Mark recognises these - they were a bit of a North West thing.

Bd12.jpg

Bd11.jpg

@Clive

Reaction score
Different kind of thing, but here's a neat home-made item for dropping feed right on your pole-fishing spot. I remember you got a pole set-up sorted a while back, Clive, and I'm guessing you won't want to mess about with extra top sections for cupping kits etc. This one, you hang it on your stonfo, where it swings but never spills, ship it out and when you let the little bucket (bottom of pop bottle) rest on the water, the loop on the bucket comes off the hook whipped on the line it hangs from, and it when you lift up the bucket inverts ...... We all made these or similar in the days before all accessories came in plasticated packaging from AD. This one must be 30 years old. I bet Mark recognises these - they were a bit of a North West thing.

View attachment 27652

View attachment 27653
Thanks! :)

I have an old fashioned spod, the type that upturns when it hits the water. That might be adapted to do the job.

@Clive

Reaction score
While we are brain storming I have recently been using a device that lets the baitdropper open at mid depth. The problem that I have on the Charente and Vienne is that the swims are over 4 metres deep and the first 2 metres is 90% bleak and 10% water. The bleak steal any free offerings before they get down to the roach zone.

If I use a conventional bait dropper the bait gets past the bleak intact, but ends up in a small pile on the river bed. One mouthful for any passing bream. The answer was to make my bait dropper open at around 2 metres down from the surface so most of it beats the bleak and it disperses over a wider area. Also, the dropper doesn't go through to the bottom which might disturb the fish that I am after.

I use a telescopic pike rod for casting spods and droppers. What I did is make a rig with two lines of equal length, 2 metres, and both lines run through the centre of a sliding pike float and are joined into a loop at the upper end. One of the lines has a strong ledger stop above the float, the second line ends with a link swivel that fastens onto the loop of a banjo type bait dropper. Once the bait dropper is attached a loop of the other line is formed and tied around the trigger hoop of the bait dropper while it is in the lower / door closed position. The loop should be tied so it is just tight enough not to come loose during the cast, then the end is trimmed off. This rig, without the dropper, can be stored on a pole winder. I call it my Depth Charge rig.

To use the rig you secure the upper loop to the line of your spod rod and at the other end the link swivel can be attached to the dropper and the loop on the other line goes over the latch hoop of the dropper. Whatever distance you set the ledger stop to from the dropper is the depth that it will open. For me 2 metres is ideal as a maximum and convenient to cast. Anything more becomes difficult.

The float needs to be big enough to trigger the release. It doesn't need to support the whole dropper. After I have cast the dropper sinks the float and that is the signal to retrieve. The bait has been dropped. I have used this four times in the last few months and so far it has worked every time. I did have to tweak the latch in the beginning to make it tight enough not to open during the cast, but loose enough to open when the float hits the ledger stop. Once that is sorted the Depth Charge works fine in delivering the goods below the bleak zone.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Those home made bait droppers that you use look really good.

Thankfully most of my bait droppers are made of black plastic anyway so I don’t really need to make my own baitdroppers.

I rarely need to cast my baitdroppers more than a few rod lengths out, but if I do need to lay a bed of small pellets further out or in a difficult position; without having to use a bait dropper or feeder; then I tend to use PVA Stocking; either with a stone added to make it sink; or tied to my end tackle; or nicked onto my hook if I’m using a hair rig.

Keith

I seem to spend half my fishing preparation time these days making up those PVA mesh sausages! Sometimes I run out and the casting bait dropper is a useful standby.

Anything that can get a scent trail going and draws some fish to the bait works for me! 🎣

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs

View attachment 27652

View attachment 27653
Made a few myself from aerosol caps ,
Ideal to use in windy conditions as well.
Drennan brought some out after a while.