Boilie Bans

J

Jason Lennon

Why do most commercial carp fisheries have a ban on boilies? I've never figured it out, as they let you use paste but not boilies which are just hardened paste.

I had an idea to get around this, which was to file my boilies into a pellet shape as pellets are allowed. Do any of you do this??
Would I get away with this, or would it still be seen as breaking the rules?

Please email your replies to me at sticklebrick2003@yahoo.co.uk.

I need you to email me as I dont get onto fishingmagic very often now(boo hoo!)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
I?m afraid boilies are boilies however you look at them. I?ve tended to find that those who ban them are not usually carp anglers but perhaps are the matchmen of the club who don?t want to be inundated with carp anglers. Who in their right mind would allow particles such as tiger nuts and beans but not allow digestable protein boilies? (by the way I use particles) The other reason could be down to the actual bottom of the venue. I?ve read in places where certain lakes have been drained for stocking purposes only to find mounds and mounds of rotting bait (boilies)

D

Dave Rothery

...which is bollox, as most decent baits will break down in a week in the summer. maybe back in the soya/semo days, but they tended to float off when rotting.

C

Cakey

Brooky got a boilie ban so heres what I do.........paste round a spring (see rig page )or round a cork ball if you want pop up and hang in a tree to dry out,not been boiled so its not a boilie.
have several hanging up and tie one on as needed.

C

Cakey

one chap puts paste on several rigs and freezes them,keeps them in a flask and calls them icies.

J

Jason Lennon

The places I go are carp fisheries. Why would they have a ban on boilies?
Anyhow, I'm sticking with my re-shaped boilies, they look just like pellets so why not!!

I was at Woodlands Lakes (Carlton Minniot) the other day, I was using my 2.5lb t/c rod and 14lb(0.35mm) Bayer Perlon line. My main baits were luncheon meat, mollasses flavour luncheon meat, maggots and paste, all over a huge bed of hemp. I never caught a carp all day, never even had a touch! Yet my mates caught carp using the same baits & tactics, even two 7yr old lads in the next peg to me were catching more than me and my two mates put together!! (even though they kept casting into MY swim! little buggers!)

What did I do wrong? I tried the float, and the feeder. Nothing worked.

Also, the rod I was using is crap at casting floats, I was using a big 4g drennan carp float, and it still didnt go very far. Any way of improving how the rod casts a float?

Please please please will you reply to me via email this time? I asked this at the start of the thread, but no-one seems to listen. Oh by the way, this link wont take you anywhere. I just wanted to draw your attention..

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Sorry Jason, my time is limited I'm afraid, I'm happy to help out on here but haven't got the time to run a dialogue of emails mate. Sorry!

C

Cakey

Brooky banned boilies when they emptied the lake to do some work and dump the pike( run by matchmen )and there was a mountain of boilies on the bottom,which I saw with my own eyes,but back in them days they were mainly shelf life which did not seem to rot or breakdown.

S

Stu Black

Jason, a 2.5lb tc rod is designed for casting weights of 1-3 oz. its not really designed for float fishing

A Wayne

Reaction score
Take a look back at Jason's second post, that's what gets me annoyed with older anglers. "MY" swim.

D

Dave Rothery

i dont think jasons all that much older, but i might be wrong!

L

Les Clark

Hi A Wayne,If they were casting into Jason`s swim,then it was his swim,if you see what I mean.
I think you have a little chip on your young shoulder`s,take it from a "getting old"git,chill out a bit,life can be very short,enjoy it while you can.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I think he is a 'youngster' like yourself...although I do think by 'my swim'I think he meant the swim he was fishing at the time....

S

Stuart Bullard

Jason - the Forum is designed to facilitate conversation, ideas and opinions. You are of course quite within your rights to ask for emails, but the majority enter this site with a view to share ideas and slag off fat buggers like Stu Dennis!!

J

Jason Lennon

Yes DAve and Eddie, in your eyes, I am a "young 'un" as I'm only 25.

A.Wayne, By the comment "MY swim" I meant MY SWIM!!!!!! It's a commercial fishing venue, where the pegs are pretty close together. If I cant fish in the space allotted to the peg I am sitting in - where would you suggest I fish - in the kitchen sink maybe???

However, one of those young lads was lucky that he was poaching my swim, as his rod & reel were dragged into the water by a carp. He burst into tears, as he thought he had lost it all, but as luck would have it, I had a bite, and I struck, reeled in and found I had the tiniest roach ever on my hook(it took 5 - yes 5 maggots!), but I also had the young lad's line caught on my hook. So I grabbed his line, and managed to rescue his rod & reel.

So dont think that I dont like the kids mate, I just dont like it when people poach my swim when they have a swim of their own. Anyone who knows about the fight I had with Darlington Council about my local Whessoe(or Brinkburn) Pond, knows that I was protecting the angling rights for the kids who go and fish there more than I do.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
errrr..Boys, lets just slow this down here a minute shall we? I have a couple of points for the sake of playing conduit here!

Firstly, and this goes for pretty much every angler I have encountered. If I fish at a venue, and I've either paid on the bank, in advance, or im a syndicate member or a club member then where I pitch my gear (as long as I'm not fishing on top of someone else or being inconsiderate to anglers around me) I would call my chosen spot 'MY SWIM', because for the time I fish it, it will be my swim (no-ones else?s). When I leave the venue it will be free/available or in fact someone else?s swim. It's not an arrogant statement its a known phrase, so I'm afraid A Wayne, you owe Jason a slight apology if the truth be told!

Lets face it, this is 'Jason's Thread'!

and Jason, chill out my friend, and excuse his naivety, he's still learning mate.

S

Stuart Bullard

Bloody 'ell, now we have a scouser agreeing with him! Just because he has been away Ed....

Anyway, it is often the case that the younger guys and girls do not appreciate the de facto rules, so its always best to explain in a friendly way what the score is.

If they then turn out to be one of the ever increasing rude, arrogant pratts that prowl our streets then just give them a quick swimming lesson!

I hope they said thank you Jason.

Now, back to boilie bans. When I observe a carper spodding out about 200 boilies, then I can begin to understand why some fisheries make these bans. It may not be based on any scientific evidence, but equally I too have whitnessed a lake being drained and was really taken aback as to how half broken down boilies there were.

Not saying its correct to ban them, just that I understand some peoples concerns.