Bomb/ feeder weights and holding tip under tension

Tree123

Reaction score
how many different weights of bombs or feeders to people take.
At the moment i havr 0.5oz and 1oz. But i struggled to get my any tension on my tip this morning ( even fishing with braid and lightet quiver tip session). The 1 oz was holding bottum fine. Abeit maybe taking a little longer to sink then i would like when fishing behind overhanging trees.

im debating getting some 1.5oz and 2oz bombs aswell. But will 14g really make that much of a difference. Or would you go for the straight 2oz?.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
What rod are you using?

A 1oz bomb should sink fairly quickly (roughly 1 sec per half metre as a very rough guide, but that's also shape dependant), how deep is the water?

Where are you fishing river or lake? i.e. is there much movement (flow) put on your line.

How far out are you fishing? i.e. the further out you fish, the more pressure is put on your line trying to move the weight.

The problem may just be in how you cast and what you do when the bomb hits the water, if you feather the line before it hits the water, you will have a fairly straight line, if not you will end up with a bow (I do it all the time and have to recast).

Tree123

Reaction score
Light feeder rod..id guess 1oz-2oz tip id guess.

Tidal river so depth goes up and down same with the low but as perching im fishing the margin and slacks

Reaction score
For perch the resistance factor of leads is critical,I would not use 1.5/2oz weights for perch,the bites you get will diminish dramatically imo,minimalistic leads,feeding a bow is more effective,even more likely to succeed is a lead that only just holds and bounces slightly,a moving bait,especially a worm is very attractive...

Tree123

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I was worries about the resistance. Hencse why i was only using and brought light ones so far. Makes a lot of sense what you stay about a moving bait

Reaction score
Just dont forget,nothing is written in stone in fishing,every time I go something happens that shouldn't if you believe what you read....always try anything that you think might work,no matter how wrong it looks...

Tree123

Reaction score
Well that is very true. Ive just order 1.5 and 2oz. That way i cant carry 5 of each size and just play with what works on the day/ flow