Box vs Seat.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Neil, that picture is so evocative of our sport, very nice moment I'd guess. The landing net looks huge, maybe just a camera angle thing, or you could be after Jaws?:D

Rich.

It's a medium specimen net with a "square" front end so the picture is a bit misleading. However, I tend to favour the bigger nets as the chub tend to be big with a good chance of a "6" and maybe more. Also a fair chance of a barbel, particularly that area. I've had them to 11lbs+ interrupting my chub sessions from that exact spot :)

The more observant might notice I'm facing upstream. This particularly chub, like most, was hooked way downstream but once I got it level with me it just decided to keep going. It eventually obliged by swimming straight back into the net.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Neil, if you cant use it properly, I know a man who can...………… Me
They are good poles, the beastmaster is one of the best margin poles on the market, and the Spectron is a brilliant pole and spares readily available if required.

:)

I inherited all of Mick's fishing gear. A lifetime's worth and included all sorts of gear from brothers and sister. The pole gear was Mick's domain and he had a lot with several duplicates including another Beast Master and a couple of Tournament match poles purchased in the last year or two. I just selected the two above for my purposes and made sure all the other stuff went to some of his lifelong mates.

mikench

Reaction score
Re: Box vs Seat.
You are up early Mike, If you go on copper beech, let me know how you go on, I have a match on there in 2 weeks.

I was on the lake we both fished and on peg 14! See my post on hdygo! This peg was either the one you were on or the next!

silvers

Reaction score
:)

I inherited all of Mick's fishing gear. A lifetime's worth and included all sorts of gear from brothers and sister. The pole gear was Mick's domain and he had a lot with several duplicates including another Beast Master and a couple of Tournament match poles purchased in the last year or two. I just selected the two above for my purposes and made sure all the other stuff went to some of his lifelong mates.

the Speccy is an excellent choice. I’ve got the exceler which I understand is pretty much the same pole with different graphics.

If floatfishing on a river I prefer to be wading if I can (I hate being high above the water).
I have a canal stool, which is basically the seat of my box with 1 tray and 4 legs.
Or then my ASI box ... which is the prefect height for me.
If i’M on the bank I prefer to be on the box, sometimes on a platform.
Nothing with a back for me.

Although on my first National I just missed a medal, and fished the match sitting on the towpath of the Leeds-Liverpool, dangling my legs over the side. It was very clear and a high bank, so wanted to get off the skyline. Perhaps I should try it more often!

dicky123

Reaction score
I just sold two bed-chair examples, and brought the Nufish suggested by another member on here. While it has not arrived yet, I honesty think it will be the dogs for me. It has all the advantages of a seat, with a good back rest, and storage of some small items. Very excited to be honest, it will be just for my trotting and short stay waggler lake trips in winter.

Rich.

mikench

Reaction score
Take a bow Markcw!! I remain undecided but temptation will have its way I have no doubt!!!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
there is not much difference between the Browning feeder chair and the Nufish one,
I think the Browning has a footplate and side tray and weighs around 12kg.
the Nufish one weighs 7kg,Both have adjustable backrests,
The nufish packs down to 26cm in height and has underseat leg storage clips.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
there is not much difference between the Browning feeder chair and the Nufish one,
I think the Browning has a footplate and side tray and weighs around 12kg.
the Nufish one weighs 7kg,Both have adjustable backrests,
The nufish packs down to 26cm in height and has underseat leg storage clips.

Don't take the Browning weight too seriously. 12.3Kg is the net weight of the whole package, chair, side tray, footplate, the lot. Removing all the extraneous bits gets the weight down to less than 7Kg.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I should have put that was the total weight of the package, A few tackle firms are doing the feeder chairs like the
Nufish and Browning, the legs fit underneath for transportation on both boxes, I would presume the footplate on the Browning would have to be carried separately ,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Sounds a similar setup to the maver signature venue seat, that has no footplate but has a bag to carry it,
and the maver has no backrest, I am thinking of getting the Nufish for the limited amount of river fishing I do
and also for some venues I use for feeder fishing, My AS1 and Boss box are impracticable sometimes.
I have a couple of stealthlite chairs but cant get used to sitting in them for long periods.

John Keane

Reaction score
When fishing a lake, of which I am a member, I take a chair AND a box on my trolley. The chair is for lounging about in, having a kip, and attending to a sleeper rod on an alarm and the box is to fish the pole. The pegs at the place are all wide enough to accommodate both seat and box. The chair is a Nash Indulgence Sub-Lo and, with short arms which are invaluable when hauling yourself up, is the best chair I’ve ever owned and the box is a Daiwa plastic jobbie which is basically a Shakey Beta, with Octoplus legs fitted that I got from eBay. Trolley ensures that the walk from car park to peg is virtually effortless.

dalesman

Reaction score
When trotting its just a shoulder bag, mainly for my flask a couple butty's for the day. If I am only fishing for a couple hours terminal tackle in my pockets (shot, hooks etc) plus a small float tube with a couple floats, either a maggot bag around my neck or a bank with a buzzer bar attached bait bucket on one end and rod rest the other. Landing net and rod and reel.

I have acquired a Shakey Beta box for a fiver which do me if I am going sit, its light enough and water proof.

Last edited:

daniel121

Reaction score
I have a Shakespeare water tank for fishing the rivers, I prefer to stand, I'm going to be honest I struggle to fish sitting down effectively.

For pole fishing I have a modern box, I'll be honest though I'm getting more and more tempted to make the change to a nice seat to relax in. The competition is about nil in me now many days so I might buy one in the new year

trotter2

Reaction score
My take on it for what it worth.
First pleasure fishing I take a small rucksack seat but mainly stand when trotting but sit down for a drink and a sandwich.
The rucksack seat comes in for a side tray if your standing, maybe for a hook wallet or a change bait like a tub of worms Saves me bending down . Maggots are in a bag around my neck.

Match fishing I carry more gear, all in a carryall bag and have a platform barrow to get from A to B
The platform comes in as a large tray for your gear or pole seat or just a seat to rest your legs
It has the added benefit you can set it up in the water, use as a seat or a tray for your gear ,lay your landing net on it and attach a keep net. That's my static approach. It very easy to push over rough river banks (much better than a trolley) and takes 2 mins to set up

Brianw999

Reaction score
I don’t match fish any more as I am disabled (cannot walk much more than 100metres without resting, cannot stand still for more than a few minutes) and I need a flat bank or platform for my chair which is an aluminium fold out upright armchair with a 4” firm cushion to raise me up. This means that my thighs are level with the armrests so I can angle the chair to enable me to hold a pole on my lap. Setting up is like a military operation as everything has to be to hand without having to get up. I have a wheeled tool box for reels, bait etc and another box with a removable lid that has a removable inner tray with various spaces for the immediate needs of the day such as feeders, hooks, leads and floats. The boxes stack on top of each other to my right side with a rod pod in between them and the chair to put the rods on when dealing with a landed fish, rebaiting etc. To my left I have a low table for bait boxes which sits nicely at elbow height. Landing net sits on a couple of bank sticks between the table and chair. The whole lot is transported on a trolley. And that’s me....everything to hand....and to get back to the thread subject, it’s a chair for me as I need arms to rest on.

The table... Luufan Ultralight Aluminum Folding Camping Table, Portable Roll-Up Table with Carrying Bag for Outdoor, Camping, Picnic, Beach, Fishing, Cooking (S-Silver): Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

The chair... Marko Outdoor Folding Directors Chair Lightweight Portable Fish Camping Outdoor Seat Side Table: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited: