Braided Lines

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

At last! Well done Chris it is good to read an article about braid by some one who actually seems to have used it! After a lot of the rubbish I have read on this subject I started to wonder if any one else actually had.

R

Rob Brownfield

I have been using braid for about 3 years now. I use Fireline in 30lb for general piking, 60lb Andico braid for big lures/smaller jerkbaits/trolling, 80lb Andico braid for big jerkbaits, Leeda Outcast for drifting, for freelining for carp and spinning for Salmon (eeek)and finally, Gorilla braid for light spinning for Perch, Trout etc.

I love the stuff, not really had any problems except with the Outcast which seemed to tangle when dry, and have only lost one fish on it. I have however, stopped using it for carp.

The reason being, I noticed that some of the carp I was landing, even on a soft through action pound and a half test curve rod, had rip marks where the hook was. I think a Carps mouth is just too soft to take braid. Pike and perchm having boney mouths , do not seem affected.

Another thing i must mention, is fish rolling up the line. It cuts through flesh in an instant. Because of this, I use a few feet of tubing, unless lure fishing.

Setting a hook at 200 yards with 30lb fireline, and a 2 3/4 pound Amourphous is easy...its great, but watch those hook holds on carp, and fish rolling