Braided mainline

Tree123

Reaction score
Anyone that uses braided mainline on feeder/ledger? Do you run straight braid down to hooklink swivel? Do do i need to just a mono leader like when dropshoting?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I have almost totally fished braid for many years. First it was sea, then lure fishing and now I am back into freshwater fishing I have braid on all my reels.

Normally I choose 20lb or 30lb braid and have a leader of about half a rod length of FC or a tough mono around 15lb. Should you get snagged the leader should take the abrasion and if you have to pull for a break you will not leave yards of almost indestructible braid in the environment.

I stick to simple knots for joining braid to leader. The Albright or the Alberto knot allows me to use a 12lb hooklength knowing the weakest point in my setup is nearest the hook.

The ALBRIGHT vs The ALBERTO vs The FG KNOT [Strength Contest]

30lb BS mainline might seem like overkill but it is such a small diameter it does not restrict casting distance.

When making up the leader join at home I usually use the tiniest drop of superglue. Apply it with the point of a pin to lock a couple of turns, prevents slipping and greatly increases the BS of the knot.

Last edited:

Tree123

Reaction score
Well my rell i think has got 6 or 8lb braid on it. So ill add a few feet of 6lb mono to attach to the swivel

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I do an overhanging knot at the end of the braid , then put a loop in line folded over on itself, slide knotted braid through loop and pull loop tight to braid sliding it down to the knot ,Its a secure way of doing it and not obtrusive , A lot of Continental feeder anglers use this, including sponsored ones this is where I got the tip from.if you need to change length of line just remove looped end from braid and replace with new line, the best thing about this is that you can put same length of line on without cutting braid and knotting it, can be changed in a couple of minutes.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't know the name of the knot I used for connecting mono to braid, the line is tied to the braid then the braid is tied to the line. Forms a nice tidy knot that doesn't notice too much on the cast.
The knot is the same knot used to tie a slider knot. To prevent catching wind knots in braid give them a good soaking with water. I used to soak the spool overnight then give the braid the odd spray during the day to keep the braid damp, helps no end to prevent wind knots.

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve always used a double grinner for joining braid to nylon, it’s always worked well for me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't use braid below 8lb and preferably 10 or above for legering, it's just to fragile in 6lb.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Anyone that uses braided mainline on feeder/ledger? Do you run straight braid down to hooklink swivel? Do do i need to just a mono leader like when dropshoting?

I found this excellent video this morning and thought of your question. So easy to use braid and a mono or FC leader when you have this knot to join them.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rayner

Reaction score
When using braid reel line it's good practise to wet the braid with water to prevent wind knots.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't fish with lures very often only tiny plastics or tiny jig heads for perch. The braid I wet down is primarily for feeder fishing to catch our bream and roach. Your fishing is like a different planet to ours.
Your posts are good to read though.