Broke In My NASCI Reel To Match My HANDING Rod!

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
Went Out In The Field To "Fine Tune" My New Spinning Combo!

I've recently received 3 spinning rods from Handing & a Shimano NASCI 4000XGFC from another source. Handing is a fairly new fishing company & so far the few rods i tried were of good quality though inexpensive. Plus a Handing 4000 spinning reel took the whole box of braid & could've handled more line. That impressed me along with the inexpensive MSRP.

The rod is nothing short of an exceptional purchase! For years i've been using 9'6" to 10'6" spinning rods for distance. This 8'6" MIRAGE Rod is quite unique in its build. A lot of attention went into the slightest of details. It's also visually appealing & really inexpensive. Price has almost doubled since they sent me my first rod & they sold out of that model in the USA.

At first i thought it won't accept the 4000 Shimano that was also sent to me. The reel nylon seat originally wouldn't accept most of the reel's metal foot so i went & ordered a 3K Shimano reel. Oops! It does indeed accept a 4K reel foot. Seems it takes a little time for the nylon seat to "mold" itself around the foot. So does this bother me? Nah, the company issued a full replacement guarantee for up to 1-year that covers everything.

The reel is a Shimano NASCI 4000 XGFC. I already have 2 older NASCI reels, a 3K & 4K from 6-7yr ago in storage. Black & gold. Seems these reels are still as good as ever. Really exceptional free spin! And the best thing i like about the newer models? NO ANTI-REVERSE SWITCH! One less entry point for water to enter. But i now have a BNIB Shimano 3000 that is en route. Don't know what i'm going to do with that one now as i thought i'd need it for the Handing rod at 8'6". But i still have 2 other Handing models at 8ft each so might try it on one of those but already have 2 new reels for them already.

Attachments

• Cover-Modified.jpg
    Cover-Modified.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
My Nasci has an anti reverse. And it must be around 8 years old but same colours as one you are reviewing . Mine is the Nasci 4000 .
My Grandson has the Catana 3000 in red , that must be about 6 years old .
It's good you have older units like myself. Shows they were made well.

@Clive

Reaction score
They brought out the reels with no ar for blue water fishing. It was a safety thing as 'clients' were getting injured or losing fish when a tarpon, sailfish or whatever headed for the horizon with the reel handle backwinding at a 1000rpm. It also meant that the fixed ar could be made sturdier than a switchable one.

The Penn Liveliner series would have made brilliant reels for heavy feeder work and fishing for wels catfish, but not having a switchable ar can be a pita when bringing a fish to the net or when loading the feeder. If you guess incorrectly and have a short line you have to put the baitrunner switch into 'on' and pull or allow some line out.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've used Shimano reels with anti-reverse switches since they became available here in the 80's.
They provide several useful functions in coarse fishing styles.
I've managed not to drop them in the water. Why design for people who do?
I won't buy one without. I buy what I want, not what makers tell me I should want.
8 years is an "older unit"? Several of my reels are getting on for 30 years old.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I've used Shimano reels with anti-reverse switches since they became available here in the 80's.
I won't buy one without. I buy what I want, not what makers tell me I should want.
8 years is an "older unit"? Several of my reels are getting on for 30 years old.
My 4010 baitrunners and aero match are around 30 years old. Still going strong

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
They brought out the reels with no ar for blue water fishing. It was a safety thing as 'clients' were getting injured or losing fish when a tarpon, sailfish or whatever headed for the horizon with the reel handle backwinding at a 1000rpm. It also meant that the fixed ar could be made sturdier than a switchable one.

The Penn Liveliner series would have made brilliant reels for heavy feeder work and fishing for wels catfish, but not having a switchable ar can be a pita when bringing a fish to the net or when loading the feeder. If you guess incorrectly and have a short line you have to put the baitrunner switch into 'on' and pull or allow some line out.
I used the Liveliners for trolling the inner reefs off my diveboat to & back from my divespots. Those were solid reels.

Scuba Chris

Reaction score
Always eBay there. I just purchased the 2016 gold & black 5K Shimano Nasci. You just don't see those anymore. Amazing part was i'm on Oahu & the owner on The Big Island of Hawaii. He had it in storage and never used it! He accepted my $60 offer a few days ago. Still in the original box. He was listed golfing supplies & had this in it. I could easily turn this around to re-sell it but i'm keeping this one. I'll re-lube it when it arrives. I like to jig & plug estuary areas for Jacks so i just bought a 3000yd spool of 14lb mono (in brown) also on sale on eBay for only $15. That brown color will match the water color. Should be able to get 230yd on it.