Bronze Maggots

mikench

Reaction score
Mike, if you get up this way, my local tackle shop has a member of the England Ladies Team there, and I think if you asked her about a gentle box. she would give you a box around the ears, :D Only joking she can have a laugh like the rest of us,

Mark over the years I have asked females for a variety of things which were embarrassing! Durex, a box for cricket and a Mexican hat shaped nipple pad!:rolleyes: The latter really caused the young girl in Boots to have a fit of giggles!:rolleyes:

I would ask for a pint of red gentles and educate the young lady in the process! In truth I don't think I mention the word "maggot" as a pint of reds when you are stood in from of the maggot fridge with your Drennen box in hand is pretty obvious!:rolleyes:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mark over the years I have asked females for a variety of things which were embarrassing! Durex, a box for cricket and a Mexican hat shaped nipple pad!:rolleyes: The latter really caused the young girl in Boots to have a fit of giggles!:rolleyes:

I would ask for a pint of red gentles and educate the young lady in the process! In truth I don't think I mention the word "maggot" as a pint of reds when you are stood in from of the maggot fridge with your Drennen box in hand is pretty obvious!:rolleyes:

A friend of mine some years ago went in the chemist and asked for a packet of durex, got them handed to him and as he was paying the girl for them, he asked her where the fitting room was, she didn't know what to say,
he used to ask them which was the best flavour, some replied "are they for your boyfriend" classic answer :D

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
For details on the best way to colour/ breed/ keep maggots is to obtain a book by Colin Graham titled Coarse Fishing Baits, it mentions ,sour bran specials, squats,pinkies It also covers baits such as grasshoppers, various forms of bread baits, pearl barley, I found it a brilliant read and very informative, it even tells you how to make a mini maggot farm and best way to keep the flies laying eggs, not that my wife would let me, It was first published around 1974, there are copies on ebay for anyone interested in obtaining one, I have no affiliation to either the author or publishers,

mikench

Reaction score
I have used the term "mawkish" many times over the years often to refer to overly sentimental tributes and obituaries! The wonders of language derivations and evidence of immigration going on for thousands of years !:)

laguna

Reaction score
This thread is well worth revisiting.
On the subject of colour; I would like to know what you all think about black ones?
Yes black (dark(ish)) none-toxic maggots!

Thoughts?

mikench

Reaction score
It’s not what I think but what the fish will like. They like dark casters so why not. I suspect something is afoot at Laguna Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I would say black maggots would imitate a small slug I have had a few in a pint of mixed maggots along with blue,green, and the usual white red and yellow . I have fished white maggot over a bed of boiled rice and caught, and also used mixed coloured rice (available in tubs at Morrisons) and fished red or yellow maggots over it .Had good sport using both methods.

Reaction score
Ahhh,but do they like dark casters,they like the fact dark casters have the extra bouyancy which counteracts the weight of the hook,imo nothing too dark is worth throwing in as feed,they will eat 'black' maggots,because they are maggots and food,whether or not they would beat the fashionable red maggot,who knows,trends change,after all it used to be bronze maggot that swept all before it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Ahhh,but do they like dark casters,they like the fact dark casters have the extra bouyancy which counteracts the weight of the hook,imo nothing too dark is worth throwing in as feed,they will eat 'black' maggots,because they are maggots and food,whether or not they would beat the fashionable red maggot,who knows,trends change,after all it used to be bronze maggot that swept all before it.

I think the Team Barnsley Blacks got their name from using black casters. I have used them as floaters to attract fish ,then fished shallow with one or two on the hook.

Reaction score
Dark casters fished over normal coloured feed casters(sinkers)is a well known tactic,particularly for roach,strangely ive done better with orangey coloured ones...

rayner

Reaction score
I think the Team Barnsley Blacks got their name from using black casters. I have used them as floaters to attract fish ,then fished shallow with one or two on the hook.

They got their name from their eyes having a look of mascara from the coal dust, nothing to do with black casters. Coal dust is a mare to remove from around eyes.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I had a succession of women peering into my eyes today and they said nothing untoward - no messing at the eye hospital...

I'm a bit tired today, my vision is a little off. I missed just a single letter in that sentence and it conveyed a message that opened my eyes so completely that I re-read it without a problem.