Brothers of the Angle ?

John Aston

Reaction score
A short session on a local canal. It's short, often inaccessible (high bank, trees) and rarely more than 10 yards wide . Arriving at the bottom lock, where there is only about 15 yards bank space, I'd been fishing 10 minutes when I saw two anglers walking down the far bank, with lure gear. I look up to say hello but they haven't seen me yet. But they had when they walk over the lock - 'morning ' , I say cheerily in the hope they will not be so rude as to start fishing until I'm done. Nothing . 'MORNING ' - still nothing and they start tackling up . I catch a pike ,which splashes around - they still don't look up .

F*** this , I think, so I carry on fishing , covering the full area in front of me. I do so for 15minutes before moving on, by which time they are casting into water I';d just fished.

My route back involved walking by them - they still don't look up. I say loudly 'All yours now ' . One turns round , saying nothing, the other carries on fishing .

Mannerless t***ts eh ? Youth of today . typical ? Nope , neither was under 70...

steve2

Reaction score
Since I moved out of the London area it seems like everybody say good morning to you. Never chatted to so many people. even the anglers on the river don't mind a bit of a chat if I am not skylining.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Have you considered that English may not have been their first language? It happens quite a lot round here.
Either that or they were miserable buggers.

John Aston

Reaction score
They looked English and sounded it when grunting to each other. I've met a fair number of Eastern European anglers and found them very happy to chat. If not as much the lady dog walkers who seem fixtures on every canal I fish .