Browning Ultimatch UM30

steve2

Reaction score
Going through some old tackle I came across a Browning Ultimatch 30. Not sure when I bought it and it must be the only fixed spool reel that does not have a drag, you can fight fish by back winding. Apart from mine I don't think I have seen another one apart from on ebay.
Anyone know why it was designed this way?

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
I remember them being marketed at the time. The idea was that, as most match anglers fought fish by backwinding (according to the adverts by Browning, anyway!), you were getting a lighter reel that dispensed with unnecessary components.

In fairness, I liked the idea of them - I seldom use a drag. The Daiwa 123m is a fixed spool reel (albeit closed-face) that has no drag, either - you simply backwind.

What is the reel like, as a matter of interest?

Keith M

Reaction score
Anglers have used close faced reels without an anti reverse for years. Back in the early 70s we used to remove the anti reverse pawl on our Abu closed face reels; which took less than a minute to do; it was so easy.

We were usually catching fish of less than 3lb or 4lb max and more usually less than a pound using light wagglers or avons or sticks so playing any of these fish through the handle was not that difficult. The clutches on these closed face reels were not that good anyway so we removed the anti reverse pawl and tightened up the clutch and we then played our fish through the back wind.

Keith

Last edited: