bubble floats.

K

Keith Hacking

been trying bubble float and fly for sea trout at night,its a heavily wooded section so unable to use a fly rod.there are sea trout there but not able to catch any,had a few brown trout but no sea trout yet.anyone any tips.
Thanks.

R

Rasmus Keis

First of all its important that you doesn't fixate the float to the line - otherwise you will struggle to feel the bites and set the hook due the dead weight.

Try using big muddlers size 2-4. They make a good contrast to the night sky.

Use at least 10 ft. of line between fly and float.

Or try a smaller fluorescent fly.

Good luck, Rasmus, Denmark

senan ensko

Reaction score
I've had some success using this technique, mainly because my fly casting is so bad I usually just stick the bubble on. I rig it as follows. Attach to main-line;attach leader of at least six feet length, use two flies, one on point and a dropper. The other method is to have the bubble at the end of the cast, with your flies coming off droppers above the bubble.This method can often be better if the takes are cautious or hesitant as it allows for better registration of shy bites. Also, play around with the depth you want to fish. For deeper lying fish fill the bubble, for surface/sub-surface only fill one quarter of the bubble. Also, use the smallest bubble you can get away with. The great thing about this method is that it lets you really search a river. Don't be afraid to work this method, rather than just casting & retrieving.

K

Keith Hacking

thanks senan.
soon as we get some rain,and fresh fish i will be trying again.
keith.

I

Ian Whittaker

Hi keith missed this post. Drennan clear sliding floats , pikers or zepplers , are good for this type of fishing .They can be loaded with water via a syringe and sealed off with a blob of glue. They can be fished sliding above your flies/bait or fished at the end of the cast with flies /bait on droppers .A good way to fish shrimp in shallow water at distance too.

K

Keith Hacking

cheers ian.
i will try that.i'v been trying this about twice a week now,for about a month,still hav'nt landed a sea trout yet.lost a couple and missed a few takes.
i will keep trying till end of the month,and see how i go on.one lad on the other side of this stretch further up from were i'm fishing,has had eighteen so far this season.but he dosent work and stops down all nite,i'v got to go at midnite to get up for work.
He seems to catch more later on when i,v gone.he fishes his bubble at the end of his line and two droppers.i fish this way as its easier to cast.tends not to tangle.
keith.