Budget spinning reel recommendations please!

P

pointngo

but that is assuming that all tackle shop owners regularly lure fish and have done so for years... in my experience there are very, very few who have. They might have the right intentions, and may not have in some instances (they are there to sell stuff they have in stock after all) but nothing beats experience by users.

So you're now saying that you'd buy the exage above all others even though the advice you gave was to ignore just that. :confused::eek:mg:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
but that is assuming that all tackle shop owners regularly lure fish and have done so for years... in my experience there are very, very few who have. They might have the right intentions, and may not have in some instances (they are there to sell stuff they have in stock after all) but nothing beats experience by users.

So you're now saying that you'd buy the exage above all others even though the advice you gave was to ignore just that. :confused::eek:mg:

I don't think there are specific qualities to a modern fixed spool reel that make one more suitable for lure fishing than another. Retrieve ratio may be an issue but build quality and reliability are something that any half-decent tackle dealer can help you with. The only really lure-specific reels would be baitcasters, but I don't use them so won't pontificate on their merits.

As far as the Exage goes, I used to have the old rear-drag version back in the early noughties (forgot that I'd had it) and it was a good workhorse of a reel. So, looking at the latest FD model, and trusting in the Shimano brand, I would buy one above all others.

I don't know about you, but I give a lot of advice (when asked) on here but would still add the rider to take it with a pinch of salt as I have my favourites, and prejudices, same as everybody else.

Okay, suit you, happy now? ;)

Ooops, my bad, it was a Nexave I had. Good reel though

Last edited:

ibo7

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Everyone has their own preferences!
Shakespeare's don't really appeal to me, they seem to all be fairly low budget and presumably low quality.
I'm upping my budget slightly and now either looking at Daiwa Procaster 2500/3000(to pair beautifully with the Procaster rod!) or the Shimano Exage 2500.
Never heard a bad word said about Daiwa or Shimano and had various reels from both so can't go wrong.
I've also looked at Okuma Trio 30, looks a nice reel but not entirely convinced as I've never used Okuma before.
Any other recommendations??

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies! Everyone has their own preferences!
Shakespeare's don't really appeal to me, they seem to all be fairly low budget and presumably low quality.
I'm upping my budget slightly and now either looking at Daiwa Procaster 2500/3000(to pair beautifully with the Procaster rod!) or the Shimano Exage 2500.
Never heard a bad word said about Daiwa or Shimano and had various reels from both so can't go wrong.
I've also looked at Okuma Trio 30, looks a nice reel but not entirely convinced as I've never used Okuma before.
Any other recommendations??

Good choice! I like Shimano quality and can recommend Procaster, having had one.

ibo7

Reaction score
Well after hours of debating and uncertainty I've decided to hustle a little and double my budget!
Now gonna get the Shimano Aernos 2500 FA, hopefully a reel that will last for years til my hair turns grey!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well after hours of debating and uncertainty I've decided to hustle a little and double my budget!
Now gonna get the Shimano Aernos 2500 FA, hopefully a reel that will last for years til my hair turns grey!

Great choice mate, Its a cracking reel for the money :)

Just keep away from shakespeare....I wouldn't like you to get your fingers blown off :eek:mg: :D

FishingNow

Fishing Now
Reaction score
Before rushing out and buying any old spinning reel, you first need to understand what they are, and how they work. As with anything fishing tackle related, it’s about balancing your reel, rod, rigging, bait, water and target fish in perfect harmony. Understanding the technical jargon surrounding fishing reels will really help with your decision. I've found a decent write up for this info good starter spinning reels.

mikench

Reaction score
It seems to me that we have had a few new members of late who conduct a trawl for any old thread and then add to it by posting a review/blog/ video for motives that are not entirely clear and , I suspect, not entirely genuine. Who or what would join and place a post on a 6 year old and short lived thread. No introduction in the newcomer section just a launch into some link which I certainly won’t be looking at.

Krang

Reaction score
This "balance" thing is a load of rubbish. Everyone balancing their rod on their finger and going "look how well balanced it is". I can do the same thing with my reels without a rod attached.

I have a Daiwa Ninja and am very happy with it.