Buggeration

bennygesserit

Reaction score
have you seen angling mentioned specifically I couldnt find anything , outdoor activity allowed with member of another household ?

wetthrough

Reaction score
As I heard it we're allowed out for recreation and to meet outside with one other not from your own household. No mention of travel restrictions that I heard. Did I get it wrong?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I dont think so. No limit on exercise or outdoor recreation so, to me, that means I can fish and meet with one other person ie a fishing buddy. I didn't hear of any travel restrictions in respect of exercise or outdoor recreation either so I think we are ok. I'm sure somebody ( Angling Trust ? ) will clarify specifically fairly shortly.

Bait and bits may be an issue with the tackle shops closing.

steve2

Reaction score
What I heard was stay at home and stay safe. That for me means no fishing till next year. If you think travelling for fishing is essential while others are out of work and staying in go ahead and help spread the virus.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
What I heard was stay at home and stay safe. That for me means no fishing till next year. If you think travelling for fishing is essential while others are out of work and staying in go ahead and help spread the virus.

I am not sure how following the guidance spreads the disease ?
Mental Health is of extreme importance - I would much rather someone went fishing than held a karaoke party (our neighbours did) or walk round Asda with no mask on

steve2

Reaction score
The stay safe stay home message don't go out unless unless your journey is essential ie work. I don't see fishing or any sport as essential once again things are being twisted to match what you want them to. To think that some on here complain that others are breaking the rules and helping spread this virus. Commonsence as once again gone out the window.
See you in the New Year.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The stay safe stay home message don't go out unless unless your journey is essential ie work. I don't see fishing or any sport as essential once again things are being twisted to match what you want them to. To think that some on here complain that others are breaking the rules and helping spread this virus. Commonsence as once again gone out the window.
See you in the New Year.

but what about the balance around mental health ?
I dont see fishing as a sport either but I dont see outside activities as spreading the virus

Bluenose

Reaction score
Where ? I looked on the AT site but couldn't see anything that said this...just that they'd written to the Govt asking for it not to be banned.

From Facebook mate

Aknib

Reaction score
I hope we can go fishing, that's a more liberal view from me than the first time around.

The grey areas are bewildering, I fear for another work shutdown and having to go to 80% of regular salary but if recreation isn't banned why can't a golf club stay open?

Maybe because it's a non-essential business.

But we are carrying out construction work and construction workers have been told to continue?

You decide, I can't fathom it.

All I know is that I will be in the tackle shop Tuesday buying maggots to freeze down, can't go Monday as doing a ten hour overtime shift whilst using a days holiday to plug the gap in the 20% difference on forthcoming furlough rates.

I've actually got a fair bit of flexibility in my finances but I can wholly understand and sympathise with the position of those who haven't, without the extension of the furlough scheme and lockdown income going from 67% to 80% I genuinely feel that there would have been civil unrest which on the face of it sounds quite outrageous but they're just wilful working people who can't survive on the restriction of earnings that are being imposed on them by those who are largely detached from reality.

If you weren't retired or sustainably living on benefits and were dependent on your work input or face being out on the street with a lifetime of towing the line and hard work behind you going down the drain what would you do?

I know what I would.

I wonder how many of those who don't work and who, maybe through no fault of their own, have gotten so use to their money coming in on the dot every month due to whatever disability they have, would change their tune when they realise that the tax revenue is no longer coming in to pay their upper rate disability allowance because people aren't going to work and the revenue isn't being received to support them?

Opinions are cheap, actions aren't.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Honestly, are we really doing this again? Just wait for the clarification and do what suits you provided it's within the guidelines. There's no point in speculating on what may or may not be allowed based on sloganeering and broad brush initial statements to the press.

Krang

Reaction score
I guess that's put the kibosh on angling again-anyone else read the new lockdown differently?

I don't see why cycling should be allowed and fishing banned just because Boris just happens to like cycling.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Within the context of what we are facing and the very many people who have and will lose their livelihoods ( and lives) fishing don’t count for diddly.
There is not a day goes by that I don’t recognise how lucky we are as a family to not be too seriously affected...I’m retired, Mrs S is NHS and drawing a pension, The Boy is construction and beloved Daughter has survived a downsizing and works from home. We don’t go out for anything other than essentials ( and my fishing) so the impact on us is really only a bit of an inconvenience. We follow the distancing & hygiene rules rigidly We are so, so lucky.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I guess it is about avoiding people so it depends on where you fish, I am not sure public transport will be running but using it to go fishing is not on which cuts me out of most of my fishing spots. I could go beach fishing but I feel being out fishing is not entering the spirit of the thing if it is not adhering to the letter.

mikench

Reaction score
I shall go fishing. After all the only person I usually come within shouting distance of is Gordon. The waters are miles from habitation, footpaths and highways. You couldn't find me if you tried. Am I glad I didn't throw my maggots to the birds

mikench

Reaction score
I have just returned from my local branch of AD to collect a couple of rod tubes and whilst there I bought some maggots. They are not closing on Thursday but offering click and collect from their website and for the favoured few will take orders over the phone, paid for on the phone and then collected by appointment. In my area Edgley Angling are doing the same and im sure many others will follow suit. All is not doom and gloom at least on the fishing front.

On the economic front and with interest rates in negative territory this country and others can borrow trillions and like during the war years offer War Stock and start paying it back when life improves and revenues start coming in. Spend on the NHS , Hospitals for the next pandemic and invest in infrastructure. Scrap HS2 and any thought of more runways and terminals. Increase the armed forces, police and get ourselves some quantum physics satellites like the Chinese.

I digress to my eternal shame so happy fishing to every one and stay home, stay safe and save Santa.

Last edited: