building your own feeders

ferret

Reaction score
What is the best way to make your own feeders, and how to add weight can you use glue guns when making feeders

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i have used old 35mm film canisters in the past for both open ended and blockend type
feeders,i used to use lead as weight but would have to try other materials thesedays
i used to buy scrap pieces of lead sheat from a local scrap metal merchants and cut it into strips and fold it lond ways then i hammer it (maybe fold it again)them cut it to a length 4in longer than the pot then
make a 2in bend in the lead push the side of the pot into the fold then fold the top of the lead over the top of the pot,and to
make the holes either use a drill bit held
in your hand or a pointed pair of sissers
or a belt hole punch file or sand the holes
shooth (no holes if used as g/b feeder)then
lift up the top lead bend and slip under it a loop of power gum or heavey line then
push the lead back into place,then take a
swivel and squize the feeder loop through
the bottom ring of the swivel then push the
swivel back through the feeder loop and pull it tight.

cut bottom of the canister for a g/b feeder
cut a slit in the bottom and top to make a
blockend feeder put the feeder loop through
the slot in the cap of the canister.

for blockend feeders follow above but with
a modifacation =make a slot just below the
rim push the lead through here.use small pliers to do it

other weight materials may be araldited to the side's of the film pots these include:
old nuts
small stones
metal strips (brass s/steel ect)

i hope this is of some help

steve

( http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/chavender )

S

Shrek

One guy I used to fish with made his out of old 2 litre plastic pop bottles.

He used to cut out a rectangle of plastic, drill some holes in it, then roll it into a cylinder and staple it together. He then got a strip of lead sheet, laid it alongside the feeder, then just folded the ends over.

He could easily make feeders larger or smaller, bore bigger holes in them if he needed it, or just add a larger or smaller lead strip depending on how much weight he wanted to add.

ferret

Reaction score
Thanks steve all I have to do is make it smaller nice one mate @,) yes he has one eye lost one to seagulls no pigeon`s me ferrets ate them. lost one today 5 year old polecat could tiny one of my best workers dogs hated him to sneaky, so still got 4 left come on winter a working they will go

thanks alan

Bluenose

Reaction score
I can't find this any more info on makeing swim feeders?

Go to superdrug buy some hair curlers, rip off the yellow velcro type material that covers them, cut them to size, tie on line/power gum and add some lead. You get an excellent cage feeder.

mick b

Reaction score
I've brought a sheet of that fine mesh grill with 1/2" x 1/4" oblong meshes for £7.50.
With my first 3 attempts I cut it so that the wire goes twice around a section of broom handle and wrapped it together with the cut ends, pressed it a bit oval in shape then added a chunk of metal rod...then went and lost the whole lot in short order on the last day of the season...:eek:mg:
Bit rough and ready but they caught while they lasted and they fish didn't seem to mind.