Bye Bye Baitrunners

C

Carp Angler

and as Paul suggests.......if you need them testing.......

J

Jan Porter

Thank Paul for your comments I like cooking too in fact I have more cookery books than fishing books which number over 200, another obssessive behaviour pattern of mine I fear. Sorry bout not getting back sooner but I have a day job believe it or not. Just come back from doing a local school talk, 20 youngsters who were asking questions like there was no tomorrow,it was a favour (FOC) for my best mate who is an art teacher at the school (I'm not trying to advertise my services here). Really enjoyed the enthusiasm and gave them all a Shimano goodie bag (is that okay to mention on this sensitive site???) Keeping the family happy is something I have to do more with at the moment.

Now dear old CA who are you???? and please I can't believe your comment about me doing a sort of advert on my first thread, I might be wrong but I think it only reads "watch this space" I just thought when it was appropriate I'd be able to give the site some of my first impressions of the new eagerly anticipated reels. But instead of seeing the postive side to this you choose to be cynical and take issue with anglers making money out of promoting fishing tackle, your perogative of course. I must take issue with you in general context, you said you thought most good anglers could make a name for themselves youat some point if they had publicised themselves, nobody held a gun to their head to keep inconspicuous and I admire them , you must be talking about specimen hunters or carp anglers I guess. As a former match angler my results were always published in the match returns (I didn't have say in the matter) so how many match anglers have become 'name' anglers across the broad spectrum of fishing disciplines........ the reality is there are not many anglers who can do this line of work because of supply and demand, or when push comes to shove deliver the goods.

There are hundreds of brilliant past and present footballers but I don't see many heading up match of the day or being pundits !Why is that then? cos they kept their goal scoring celebrations muted and refused aftermatch interviews.......hello!

You should at the very least be big enough apologise for your incorrect conclusions about my motives for coming on line. If a "watch this space" posting on this sight it a blatent plug for products then I'm wasting my time coming up with ad strap line ideas for Shimano at work,maybe I should be working for Saatchi & Saatchi. WATCH THIS SPACE!!!!

Oh was that too loud!!!!! come on CA admit it publicly you got the wrong end of the stick not me, the company I work for have a healthy advertising budget without having to resort to some kind of cyber pseudo subliminal postvertorials freebie cheapshots.

Good Look and Great Fishing!

Jan Porter aka redcyberfish!!!!

J

Jan Porter

Phew I feel much better now re the 14' Triple X top section CA it's abit before my time, try the Shimano after Sales at Felindre Swansea it's on 192. Maybe Castaway Tackle from Lincoln can help they get second hand gear in from time to time it might be worth giving them a bell.

Good Luck and Great Fishing!!
Redcyberfish

P

paul williams

Jan thanks for getting back, perhaps both carp and myself did seem to bite a little but as all three of us have been about a while i think we can all agree that a lot of gear aimed at catching anglers rather than fish has appeared i know that Shimano turns out some outstanding gear and i truelly believe the baitrunners to be an all time classic but my personal opinion is that SOME of the recent gear is not up to the mark, the big baitrunner is for instance said to be unbalanced? now i don't personally own any but when respected anglers pass comment i take notice.
My own person experiences with Shimy are not happy! i had a rod break at the point where the blank leaves the reel fitting whilst playing a big barbel, when i phoned up they were not at all interested and were in fact quite rude.
I hope Jan you haven't taken this as a go at you personally but perhaps now you understand why i don't think everything that glitters and is stamped Shimano is gold.
Regards Paul.

PS perhaps we should exchange recipes instead of talking fishing!!!

C

Carp Angler

Jan
I'm more of a man than most, I appear to have misjudged you and for that I do apologise.
I think we can re-open this thread when the new reels appear and judge them on what they actually are and not what we think they'll probably be.
I'm not opposed to change as you suggested, I won't demand an apology, I just don't see the reason of change for changes sake.
I suggest we open a favourite recipes thread to lighten the mood.
Oh yeah, my names Rik Belenger, I'm 32, live in Hampshire and would gladly meet up and chat at one of our many gatherings.
(Starting to sound like the lonely hearts club now)

D

Darren Wilson

I will offer my services for an unbiased test review if you want to send me 3 Nexus Mr RedCyberFish.

Carp Angler will tel you that I am totally unbiased towards all companies :):)

S

steve baker

I know its a bit late to reply to this thread.....but jan (hello) you do not have to justify your self to anyone. If you believe the spec of fishing tackle is good, why not promote it? If i am having problems with a reel and i see a good review it is up to me whether or not i buy it?

Also you have a job to do, and i for one would love you job, keep up the fishing and designing better equipment.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
The thread does say (was it Carpy?) that we will open it up again when the reels are launched.

Well they are launched, so who's been on 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' and got the cash spare to buy and try? I have to say here and now they will have to be BLOODY good to make me replace my old 5010's!

J

Jan Porter

Thanks Steve for your kind words, I used the 6000RE's @ Willow Park (Hants) a couple of months ago and had twenty carp up to 19lb 10oz, the object of the exercise was (apart from a mag feature) to test the Nexus gearing etc when playing fish. Although the fish were not kippers they went like stink and I was very impressed with the power in the reels more direct playing and less pumping required, they are much better than the olds reels in this respect and feel much smoother under extreme pressure. The old reels 5010-8010's were/are a fine piece of kit and having used the original 4500GT for long range feeder fishing on the River Trent over ten years ago.I still use them for pike fishing and have to say that they have gotten a little worn. Not suprising really winding in a 2-3 ounce feeder 80 yards several hundred times would wear out most reels. So my friends that is my opinion as a fisherman, the fact that I work for the company makes this contribution to the firum even more gratufying. As for the price of the reels well compared to other material things in life and life sustaining essential items like TV's,Hi Fi's Videos, Mobile Phone's, digital/cable ET Telly, Internet, Computers, Trainers and Holidays I don't think they are too badly priced. Depends on what presses one's buttons I suppose. When I originally posted watch this space it seems there was a little cynicism about my motives/agenda. I'm still a tackle junky working for a great tackle company......it's the nearest I've ever got to doing something for a living that I really get some nourishment out of and still have a pasion for my fishing. Anyone knows in the tackle industry how hard that is to do and still retain that boyish enthusiasm when you are surrounded by tackle and tackle talk 24/7. And after nearly twenty years since I set my sights on making a living at fishing I'm getting a little closer.

Just got back from the Carp Society do and Nexus Shimano Baitrunners were selling by the dozen. Seems like there is a considerable difference in their opinion too!

Good Luck & Great Fishing!!!

Jan Porter

C

Carp Angler

Saw the piece on Willow Park, very enjoyable read.
The methods that you employ for those doubles, works for much larger carp aswell, I know I've done it.
I'm still happy with my 8010's at the mo', but I'm hearing good reports on the new reels.
Comments like "they don't look much different, but you can feel the difference as soon as you turn the handle" etc etc.
Hopefully they'll sell better than the Big Baitrunner and become the new classic carp reel.

C

Chris Bishop

Do the new ones still have a plastic (graphite..?)lining to the spool - the bit wqhere it actually slots onto the metal bit that goes up and down., for want of the correct technical term..?

That was one of the old BR's major faults. I use them for piking and aftere a while play develops on the spool as a result of winching in drifters etc.

This in turn makes line lay a little uneven.

Other than that they're stunning. I've got three 8010s that are three years old and they're barely distinguishable from a couple of new ones I panic bought when they discontinued them.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Jan

I take your point about the relative cost when compared to other everyday items. But I also put a reality check on my gea

r.

I buy a new telly when the old one breaks, not when one slightly more fancy comes out.

My 5010's, which I use mostly for barbel fishing, are in good nick. If I buy the new Nexus, will I catch more fish? I doubt it. Will I lose fish because I have a 5010, not a Nexus whatever? Doubt it.

Therefore I think my cash stays in my pocket until the reels I am very happy with turn up their toes.

Cooperman

L

Leon Foreman

Since the launce of the new Models localy, the available 5010's, 6010's and 8010's has gone on special. Since I am still in the market for new reels the choice has now been compounded. Should I bust the bank and go for the new models or save the bucks and grab the specials while they are still available. Does the new models really improve so much on the current 8010's that it can be considered worthwile? Any sugestions Please

C

Carp Angler

Read all the previous threads......
The man for Shimano, he say yes!!!!
If you've got the money then get them.
As you can read from everyones postings, they and I are very happy with our old models.
I'm still using my very old and original 3500X, front drag model, the very first baitrunner, for barbel fishing.
So the old models are good and do last, I think it depends on how much money you want to spend.

C

Chris Bishop

I haven't handled the new reels yet, so can't comment on them, but the "obselete" models are fantastic value at the moment, if you can get your hands on them.

Buy the weeklies and skim the mail-order ads.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've had the reels for a few weeks now and have given them a pretty good testing. Not as much as I'd hoped due to the crap weather that's kept me indoors too much but enough to form more of a sound judgement than if I'd just been spinning the handle in the tackle shop.

Hang on another day or two and the review will go up with a few pictures.

The only comment I'll make now is that they're much different internally than the older models.

L

Leon Foreman

Hmm how come I am feeling like someone playing with his genetical engineered double on the teeter totter.
To 8000gte or 8010, now that is the question.

L

Leon Foreman

What is the going rate for the reels there if I may inquire? The sell for about 102 pounds here.