Bye Bye Baitrunners

C

Chris Bishop

Baitrunners are being discontinued and replaced with a new model... THis explains the sharp price dive this week and the fact a lot of dealers have sold out of them. They're now going at half RRP if you cxan find them.

The new reel - still under wraps - features a remodelled interior christened Nexus.

Everyone thought they were the mutt's nuts when they came out - how do you reckon they've stood the test of time..?

I

Ian Knowles

Good reels, but the line twist has always been a problem.

P

paul williams

Baitrunners have to fall into anglings all time greats, i had also heard they were being replaced. I hope the replacment is a real "upgrade" and not what i have heard a cheaper replacment, those of us old enough to remember the original Abu cardinals all know what they were replaced with!!!

P

Philip Inzani

Can anyone tell me how much are they going for now ? ....BR8010GT
Thanks.

C

Carp Angler

Like most people who don't have 500 quid lying around to upgrade to the latest fashion accessory..........I can't wait!

P

paul williams

In my language it means mouths to feed mortgages to pay and Hobbies to follow and tackle to PAY for, Time will tell if the replacment reels are up to it, but most of us have seen it before!! ask an original Diaflash owner.

C

Carp Angler

Jan, yes...I've turned very cynical in the last couple of years. There are too many people trying to make money out of our sport and not enough putting something back. I think most good anglers could have made a name for themselves at some point if they had publicised themselves and their catches enough and made money from the sport. Thankfully most of us class it as a hobby and treat it as such. I was very happy with my Bio-master Specials until some scumbag nicked them.(yes he now walks with a limp) That is the only reason I feel that I need to buy new reels. And I must thank you, I've been called many things but never a Luddite.

P

Philip Inzani

...OK thanks for that!.....so can anyone tell me how much they are going for now? ...I was talking about the "old" baitrunners for example BR8010GT
Best price I can find is about 57 pounds.

J

Jan Porter

Dear Lud aka CA sorry to hear of your loss I'm puting a hex on them as we speak, looking back I could have gone into mobile phones or pokeman cards, but hindsight is a very exacting science. Sure lots of people could have done the fishing career route but don't think that some of these guys don't put stuff back because many do, it depends what you mean by putting things back there is always going to be takers in any sport/life but I don't see whats wrong with folk trying to earn a living by doing an extension of their hobby. In fact their aint nowt wrong with it for sure! I see all the angling programmes on TV and I could do loads better in my head and maybe one day I will do some stuff like that, I find it natural posing I guess. I hope to bring you some more info about the new runner when I can but it's a mean piece of kit for real CA and thanks for getting back to me.

Good luck and Great Fishing!!!!

Jan Porter

J

Jan Porter

The new baitrunners are nothing like the old Diaflash rods LOL and you are welcome CA I think I've met you somehow maybe not in this life. I've put a hex on the thieves then will repent at their leisure. Good Luck to all and Great fishing!!

P.S. The new baitrunner........phew better than the so called original ones that were better than the later models of course Mars bars used to be as big as railway sleepers when I was ald and only 3D each. Love & Peace for that petrol emotion!!!!!! Tee Hee!!!

C

Carp Angler

So when are we going to see an unbiased review on these new reels which will turn me into a real carp angler...?????

C

Carp Angler

Jan
I have not got a problem with you earning a living but,
if you are a regular reader of the forum, you would see posts about there being no fisheries or activities for children and newcomers, this is what I mean by putting things back into the sport. It's your future aswell..no anglers=no sales=no job

P

paul williams

Philip that sounds like a good price, i think J+K tackle (Bicester) were doing a deal on them but i don't know the price, they may be worth a call.
Jan i don't think anyone would disagree with your comments about earning a living from your hobby....but a few guys out there tell us that X bit of kit is IT and then a little further down the road (and another sponser!) suddenly Y bit of kit is the best on the planet! As you are sponsered by Shimy you ain't going to come on line and say the new reels a grinder now is you!! Mind you at least you came back to talk!! most don't. Come join the List and have a chat with us on there.

J

Jan Porter

Dear CA as you know I only came on line last week so I've no history about previous threads, thanks for not having a problem about me earning a living, maybe I'm living in cloud cuckoo land but I personally have been involved with loads of kids initiatives across many disciplines the fact that there is nothing on this site aint that unusual the web may be popular format but it is in it's infancy as a medium compared to other info/media formats. Anyway I'm going to call myself redcyberfish from now on so nobody recognises me. What do you propose re kids coming into fishing, I've got kids of my own and they don't fish, thats their choice, I am there to take them whenever but it doesn't press their buttons. Should I brainwash them into fishing, I think not! It's their path and as it happens they want to be involved in the arts. I'm cool about that just because I'm an angler don't mean that I have to make my kids anglers so the industry can survive into the next millenium I think the idea is perverse, and on the subject I've seen some adults that live their lives through their or other peoples kids and I live my own life and if folk don't like that well that aint my problem. I have to pay my mortgage just like you anyhow I choose to do it through fishing instead of whatever, I could earn a huge amount of money outside of fishing and I mean huge amounts compared to what i get from this industry but hey don't feel too sorry for me, I feel sorry for the apathy in this game and compared to just about any I know the lack of interest in putting anything back beggars belief. Plenty of talkers but not many doers save egomaniacs. But hey it's nice to chat to you even if you prefer to remain anonymous because you obviously do so much for the sport coming out would affect your humility. Keeping it Reel Dude!!!

Redcyberfish

J

Jan Porter

Dear Paul

I'm going to say this and you can choose to think what you like, I've been involved with a few companies over the last 15 years. I want to list them so this site has no illusions.Trev Tomlin Catapults (1980...), Sandra Halkon Hunt (1982.....), Van Den Eynde (1987-1997), Octoplus (1988-90), Fox International(1991-1998), Richworth (1984.....), Shimano Uk Ltd (1995.....)
Ltd. I have some affiliations with some other firms but only in terms of tackle remuneration. I still use Trev Tomlin Catapults although I did promote Fox Pults which I helped to design while I worked for them, Sandra approached me before she entered into the match clothing market and offered to make me a red jacket we still have a good working relationship she makes all my red gear and I'm proud to wear her logo (non monetary), Marcel Van Den I class as a family friend I went on holiday with his daughter and son in law with my wife & kids a few years ago, he was one of the best match anglers in the world and he makes superb groundbait and I promoted it for many years because I was involved as marketing manager for the importing country and I love the olympic colours, the company cut back and I lost my job a few years back and if I fished at top match level again I would use Van Den Eynde again without compunction it is the defintive match groundbait. There was some kind of relationship with a float manufacturer who develope a small range of wagglers for which I used to get a small commission. However they chose to abuse my intellectual property rights and I no longer enjoy this small remuneration although the floats are still being sold. I still use many Fox products and consider them to be superior to other companies especially the buzzers. Richworth was the first company's boilie that I caught carp on I've used them ever since and have great confidence in the products and the company are ultra professional which is a rare commododity in this industry. And I think this leads me to the point really I have been around a while and I've had my fingers burnt very badly by some folk that ought to know better and treated me in a very unprofessional manner, but as they say thats life and if I keep putting my hand in the fire I know what the outcome is going to be... Finally my current status... I turned down several very lucrative deals with some top name companies and left one because they acted like, well nevermind........the fact of the matter is I would not get inolved with anyone if the product/company wasn't right. But if you think I'd align my hard earned reputation with some two bit outfit with crap products then think again. I was offered a ?3K a year deal with unlimited tackle in 1994 I didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it through but the product was crap and to be honest so was the deal so I told them and guess what not even a dear John letter, not that I expected one. I only took the Shimano job on when I was happy with the products first and foremost and the financial aspects came much lower down the line. I knew they made great reels and the rods were coming good (they still are!) so I signed up and I've never been so happy they have looked after me and there is still a way to go before we get everything 100% but as I said when I first joined this thread watch this space...... The new baitrunners? well as an ex engineer of 10 years Rolls Royce apprentice trained you'd better listen to my opinions I have credability in many facets of my life. What the other want to do is their business you have only got to scratch around to find the ones who'll sell their ass for a few quid .....not my scene dirty money chap!!

Hope this clears things up a little!!

Good Luck and Great Fishing!!!

Redcyberfish

P

paul williams

Jan, all good points and i appreciate the time you took to type it out on a Saturday night(i'm stuck in with the missus and kids cooking a Balti and trying to talk her into letting me go fishing,i love it really!) I know you are ok really coz i have met you and we have amutual mucka!......but that don't change my view of some of the others! and as much as i hate to say it mate i have seen the odd RR broken down....shimano make some of the best tackle i have had the privalage to use but they can make mistakes, i sincerly hope the new reel is a resounding succsess, if they need them testing try Carp (i'll beg his old ones!!)and if they do breakdown we can always have custom made covers to hide them from the general public,
Good Hunting Paul

C

Carp Angler

Jan
We seem to have got off on the wrong foot.
I am not anonymous to any who care to ask or find out.
I respect your fishing accomplishments and your writing prowess and welcome you to the forum and the undoubted knowledge and experience you can bring.
Your first post on this forum was a sort of promotion for your company and their goods. This will always be met with derision from a section of the sport which is constantly bombarded with advertising hype that promises the earth.
Oh yeah, can you get me a tip section for my 14foot Triple X.....;)