Call me Ishmael

Anjinsan

Reaction score
"Call me Ishmael". Well actually I'm Sean,just allways fancied opening with that.

Well here I'am. Looking forward to tradeing advice,making friends and generally having a laugh. I could best be described as a fishing evangelist.I'm a firm believer that fishing is the answer to all lifes, ups and downs.

Best described as an all rounder, I find all fish have a beauty in them, from Bleak to Zander and all the letters in between.

I'm from Wantage in oxfordshire,so mainly fish the Thames & tribs there of.

Favourite cheese is Stilton. But I'm open minded enough to dabble in the Fromages of France. I don't touch spreadable cheeses of the processed variety. Favourite tipple is Gin & sake. Sometimes separate sometimes mixed.

Anyway that's enough about me let's talk about you.

Sean

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Hello Sean and welcome.

Watch out for the Port and Stilton faction on here - they'll empty you wallet in a minute I'm told ;)

Geoff

Reaction score
Welcome Sean,

Geoff,

I'm afraid its too late for Sean...he has been noticed by PaSC...the treasurer is already polishing the abacus. He seems to have cheese pedigree...we'll keep an eye on him.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
"Call me Ishmael".
You after a whale then? ;) :)
I find all fish have a beauty in them, from Bleak to Zander and all the letters in between.
That gave me a thought, how do you cover A - Z with fish names?

Zander is quite right, of course, but you could have used 'Angler fish' as your A, but that's a sea fish as is 'Angel Shark' and they're pretty rare now anyway. They were once sold as Monkfish, but it's the angler fish now that is sold as monkfish, confusing isn't it?

What about an Arctic Char (or more correctly, Charr) though? Albeit, any char caught in this country is usually an acrtic char, so does that qualify?

If we are going to be silly, what about "Alborella", it's the italian name for bleak? I'd be happy with that since I have had a 6 metre whip for the past 16 years or so called the Maver Alborella.

I've decided, from Alborella to Zander it is, A - Z.

(PS plural of alborella is alborelle, just as scampo is the singular of scampi.)

(PPS this also ignores the Asp and the Anchovy)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In Rabbinic traditions Ishmael was reputed to have had 2 wives.

Hopefully you are not cursed with 2 mothers-in-law.

In any event, welcome to FM Yishma'el . . . . .

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hi Ishmael ,Keep good watch tonight, i can feel things in me bones, listen for the blow, it be a dark night

Anyway, down to business, how much do you have to spend?

h

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
Hi Ishmael. I look forward to your posts providing both piscatorial and literary enrichment to these forums.

Note though that any claims for really huge captures must be supported by photographic evidence...and you are gonna need a bigger hook.