Calling All Liverpool Anglers

Reaction score
Evening guys.

Not sure how much response I'll get to this but here goes.

What's the craic with the Liverpool park lakes and why are they not being stocked at all.

I took a break and come back to find sefton is now a carp only lake with a few tench ZERO roach and other species. It used to be amazing cud easily catch your fill of silvers or tench there. Greenbank is not great either anymore.

I know a few of the lakes got netted esp sefton after the lottery money injection and the council sold all fish and didn't replace them.

**** knows what we pay our licence for as I don't see anything going back in. Granted I'm in my late 30s now but when I was a kid it was great..... What are the kids of today going to do..... Granted if your a carp nut your laughing but if you want to learn the coarse fishing basics and catch those other species it's hard going now.

Is anyone else slightly pissed off with the way it's gone.

john step

Reaction score
I dont know Liverpool but you will find this is often a national moan.
Trawl back through any forum and there will be comments about the carp taking over and the lack of silver fish.
There are various reasons. Carp are popular. Carp are more cormorant resistant are just two.

It takes a bit of research but there are other fisheries out there.
The only place I fished in Liverpool back donkeys years ago was in the Nationals on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. All silvers then. Maybe the way to go.

If you have transport and when this covid thing is abated then travelling a bit further could be the answer.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't quite see the connection between rod licence money and your local council lake. If the council has removed fish and altered the stocking of their lakes, it's down to them, not the EA. Why should the EA stock those lakes if the local council are just going to remove the fish and sell them?

liphook

Reaction score
Lenny I'm not familiar with the freshwater fishing over in Liverpool - when I visit it's to sea fish - got to be worth talking to your local tackle shops for advice. Try Taskers?

The bad one

Reaction score
I can't quite see the connection between rod licence money and your local council lake. If the council has removed fish and altered the stocking of their lakes, it's down to them, not the EA. Why should the EA stock those lakes if the local council are just going to remove the fish and sell them?
I seem to remember the EA had some input in stocking and removal of fish from Liverpool parks. I know they did in Manchester parks and are considered complicit to some degree by many local anglers.

Reaction score
Nah that's a good point mate it's not a regular occurrence it was just after they netted one big lake.

You may be right about the EA but I don't see anything for my licence in that regard...just my opinion

Reaction score
I dont know Liverpool but you will find this is often a national moan.
Trawl back through any forum and there will be comments about the carp taking over and the lack of silver fish.
There are various reasons. Carp are popular. Carp are more cormorant resistant are just two.

It takes a bit of research but there are other fisheries out there.
The only place I fished in Liverpool back donkeys years ago was in the Nationals on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. All silvers then. Maybe the way to go.

If you have transport and when this covid thing is abated then travelling a bit further could be the answer.

Yea I go further afield buddy but wud be nice to have the lakes at least close to how they were.

Guess I'm asking too much in this day and age.

To often the fishermen are seen as a nuisance on the bank in public parks

sam vimes

Reaction score
I seem to remember the EA had some input in stocking and removal of fish from Liverpool parks. I know they did in Manchester parks and are considered complicit to some degree by many local anglers.

Whilst that gives good reason for North West anglers to be aggrieved by both councils and the EA, it still doesn't explain why the EA would restock a lake that the council (with EA help) had previously depleted of fish stocks. EA involvement only makes restocking by them seem even more unlikely.

Nah that's a good point mate it's not a regular occurrence it was just after they netted one big lake.
You may be right about the EA but I don't see anything for my licence in that regard...just my opinion

Lots of anglers don't see what value they might be getting from the EA. Few waters I've had access to have ever had a single fish from EA sources. In fact, due to them ignoring my closest river, despite it going downhill over the years, I felt compelled to join clubs to give me access to another river that's not much further away. For some unknown reason, this river has had regular injections of thousands of fish over ten plus years. The only solace I've ever taken over the previous years is that, hopefully, some angler somewhere is getting some benefit of my cash.

The bad one

Reaction score
I know of several removals of fish from park lakes in Gt Manchester by the EA and then restocking by them with different fish of the same species months later. Usually done because the lake needs work carrying out to stop leaks, dam collapses. The EA I know for a fact when this happens find the fish a new home. Then find the owners replacement stock from elsewhere. Several local small clubs have had gifted stock from elsewhere by the EA. So it does happen Chris!

Reaction score
Good
I know of several removals of fish from park lakes in Gt Manchester by the EA and then restocking by them with different fish of the same species months later. Usually done because the lake needs work carrying out to stop leaks, dam collapses. The EA I know for a fact when this happens find the fish a new home. Then find the owners replacement stock from elsewhere. Several local small clubs have had gifted stock from elsewhere by the EA. So it does happen Chris!
Good to hear it does happen maybe in this scenario the EA have been bypassed. My grievance is not only do we have to have and pay for a rod licence but the Liverpool parks need a special permit to fish then which is free but takes ages for then to process it took mine 7 weeks. Just think they have a bit of a cheek imposing all the restrictions and rules but in the other hand don't do a tap to maintain, improve or look after the fish or fishermen........

Reaction score
On example happened the last summer I went down to sefton. Seen the early stages of blue green algae. Phoned and tweeted council got told they were not bothered and I was wrong.

Then fast forward a week a kid gets sick all blue murder breaks out then the lake gets closed and taped off for blue green algae....... Utter clowns the lot of them

sam vimes

Reaction score

I can understand that scenario entirely. I've certainly known of it happening elsewhere. The snag here is that the OP makes no mention of such a perfectly valid reason for the initial removal of fish. If that (or similar) is the reason for the initial removal, then the reasons for the OP's complaint about the EA are surely moot. I've also heard of the EA removing fish from park lakes at the behest of local councils, or for reasons of fish welfare (low oxygen levels etc).

Ultimately, the exact reasons for the fish removal need to be determined before complaints about the EA becomes particularly valid. I suspect that an FOI request of the council (being very careful of how it's worded) would be the best bet. If it's worded correctly, it'll be very difficult for the council not to give an answer as to why the fish were removed.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Lenny, it sounds like your complaint is really with the city council. Liverpool anglers probably need to find out why they've done what they have. They can't weasel out of answering an FOI request.

Reaction score
Yea guys I feel you are right looks like me EA comment could be wrong and I apologize feel I may have annoyed a few with that.

I thought the EA activley monitored the Park lakes and kept an eye on them but I'm guessing they only step in at the council's request.

In the OP I should elaborated more the fish were taken out beacuse the lake got drained and refurbished with lottery money.

My gripe was the fish never got put back in there was a cracking head of tench big bream and lots of roach perch etc.

Now it's good carp and a few tench but little else.

I'll try and get some information out of the council but considering they are a shower of corrupt gets I may get the run around lol

fred hall

Reaction score
Please allow me a bit of a rant here because I have long suspected that people at the EA and others who make decisions about angling, in this example stocking municipal waters, actually know next to b*gger all about fish and anglers. They will have been told that all anglers want carp these days and, hey, better still this is now the cheapest species to stock so there you go!
PS a long time ago (the sixties) I was a student at Liverpool in digs near Greenbank Park and managed to get in some enjoyable fishing sessions there.

liphook

Reaction score
The EA are no longer fit for purpose and much of the hard work done for angling and our aquatic environments over previous decades is now being allowed to go to pot. Disgraceful.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Lenny some questions for you have you spoke to any Council Officers for parks and found out who the officer is over fishing?
What a lot of people don't know with Metro Councils is, the Councillors set the policies and the officers implement the polices. It is these people you need to be talking to about fishing matters.
It might be that the officers have never canvased the views of Pool anglers about what fish and fishing they want in the park lakes, thereby they don't really know what they want. And if there is no collective body in the City then they can't talk to anybody.
Do any or all of the park lakes have clubs that lease the lakes?
If not, then you might have to start a body of anglers in the Pool to speak on behalf of the anglers of what they want stock wise in the park lakes. Council officers are in my experience more like to engage with a collective of people than just an individual. It ticks the box for community engagement for the officers and pleases the political masters.