Can anyone help re: River Thames?

P

Phil Husselbury

Have recently moved to Berkshire. As a dyed in the wool Northern canal angler, I've found the river Thames a real struggle and that was AFTER I worked out where the reel was supposed to go on the rod!!! Haven't done much good with the trusted pole either! Can anyone help with tips for tackling the Thames? (that's before a pint!!)

Grateful thanks, guys.

P

Phil Husselbury

Mark,

Thank you for writing back. I'm fishing in the Windsor area, although if you can suggest anywhere better in the locality, I'd be most interested to hear it.

I am catching fish, it's just trying to hold a shoal seems a lot different from previous experience. I seem to be catching just odd fish. Think maybe I need to go back to school or something!

Thanks again for replying and tight lines!

M

mark tullett

Phil, I used to match fish around the Marlow, Cookham, Maidenhead, Windsor area years ago(like15 -20 years!). The river in that area can be hard, most matches in the winter were won with maybe 4 or 5 Chub with many lucky to get a fish.It was generally hemp & caster in the feeder although the London boys used to fish the bread.
Summer can be good, Cookham & Maidenhead could produce good nets of Dace in evening matches and occaisionally if a Bream shoal turned up bags of 30lb+ were easy for a week or 2.
Best places for info used to be Phil Kings shop in Maidenhead (I worked there on Saturdays!) or ****ie Balms in Burnham, Phils shop is still going but couldn't find Balms on Yell.com although the A4 match group (he sponsored)are still about ...I think!
Good places to try were 'Cardboard Castle' @ Marlow (Marlow ticket), downstream from the Scouts boating place, so called 'cos the house on the far bank looks like a castle. The 'Ledge' just downstream of Boulters Lock, Boulters lock cut & the Odney club @Cookham (all free). Windsor lock cut was good in the winter and Hedsor Wharf (the weir field)@ Cookham was very good but difficult to get to fish 'cos you had to live in Bourne End. You really need to keep your ear to the ground though, as it's not easy. Haven't been around that way for years so this may be complete nonsense!
Mark

P

Phil Husselbury

Mark,

That is incredibly helpful and comforting. Thanks ever so much, at least I know why it's not a ton a trip...

I'll pop into Windsor Angling Centre and seek advice.

Cheers. Phil.