Can you freeze worms/casters???

Reaction score
hello

can you freeze lobs reds etc.... and also can you freeze castors and once defrosted will they still be in a good condition etc...

cheers scotty

F

Fred Bonney

Scotty,can't answer on worms,never found a need.

But would have thought you would need to chop them and use them as soon as thawed.

Casters once defrosted need to be use straight away as loose feed not hook bait.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

Worms can be dried........simply sqeeze all the "soil" out of em chop em and dry them in the sun.

Nice in seagull egg omlette.

Or even in those "special" boilies /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Reaction score
what condition would lobworms be if i from some then thawed them out when i needed them????? i would try it but the mrs would have the coffin orderd before i had a second thought about it lol

scott

coelacanth

Reaction score
Worms tend not to freeze well, the slow freezing that you get in a domestic freezer allows large ice crystals to grow which cause a lot of damage to the cells. You very quickly end up with a black slimy mess after defrosting, few smells are quite like it.

brewery boy

Reaction score
I know a few people who freeze casters all the time and if they're not used they just freeze em again and again until used. Don't do it myself though! ''they stink''

Don't know of anyone freezing worms.

Lee Negus

Reaction score
You can keep worms.

Tear up some newspaper and make it damp add a little soil and check every couple of days to make sure the paper is still damp replace every week.

I hasve kept worms like this for ages.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Dendras will keep for, literally, weeks. Beg, steal or borrow one of the small white sacks that the tackle shops take delivery of their worms in and half fill it with garden compost or a propriety multi purpose compost from the garden shop or supermarket. Put your worms in and secure the top. The bag material is not airtight and so will allow for air to circulate.

Keep the soil moist, not damp, and every week or so chuck a few grass clippings in.

There are a number of sites on the net which also show you how to build a wormery if that's a practicable option for you.

M

Mark Hodson

Tried freezing worms, not good, like the others say just keep them live, casters freeze alright but only really suitable for crushing in groundbait once defrosted.

Keith M

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hodson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Tried freezing worms, not good, like the others say just keep them live, casters freeze alright but only really suitable for crushing in groundbait once defrosted.</blockquote>

I agree with Mark.

If anyone sold us casters in that state before a match we would never shop there again as they are virtually useless for the hookonce they've been frozen, you may catch the oddfish but thats about all. however they could still be crushed in groundbait as long as they are not too old.

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Surely its so easy to make a wormery. It would be more trouble continually freezing left over worms.

Make a wormery and get fresh every session.

Ive tried freezing casters several times for feed over the years and I wouldnt bother again. Use your old caster to feed the robins. Fresh, clean, bait wins everytime if its only for the confidence boost it gives the angler.