Can you...

S

Steve Mills

Float fish for all types of fish and on all venues, and can you use a float rod to free line bread etc??

D

Dave Williams

Hi Steve

U can use your float rod for all fish on all venues to a degree. Depending on the strength of the rod u wouldn't want to present a floating dog biscuit to a large carp only to have a not so strong rod smashed. If general fishing is your quarry silver fish, perch, gudgeon, pastie sized carp etc then your float rod is more than adequate. But horses for courses mate if u describe what venue u are fishing and what fish u r after someone will come along and give good advice on targeting your venue. I started fishing with a float rod one of them Argos starter setups and thats all I had so thats what I used and done ok on every venue I went to mostly local ponds. Hope this helps

S

Steve Mills

Thanks Dave,
Its just that everyone goes on about feeder rods or specimen rods or carp rods..you know what I mean, and I wondered if I had done the right thing getting a float rod (well 2 in fact)

D

Dave Williams

Hi Steve

New to this fishing myself mate well returned to it from sea fishing. Yeah u will hear all sorts of people who like a certain rod for a certain occasion and if u have money to burn thats ok. But if u just want to get out there and get fishing then a float rod is fine. Once u start enjoying your float fishing the bug will bite and u will want to improve. So you think well if I could cast into the middle of that pond with a feeder I will do this.....so you get a feeder. Then u want to fish tight up to an island where u have seen Carp moving so u get a pole for better presentation the list go's on. The term tackle tart is banded about on here quite often and it is easy to turn into one but if u have a line in a water with a well presented bait the fish doesn't know if it is a shimano reel or a handline. There is definetly benefits of using specimen rods and reels for specimen fish mostly Carp but also Barbel etc but leave that to the specimen hunters and just enjoy yourself and then progress when your ready.

Good Luck Mate

S

Steve Mills

Cheers Dave,
Yes I am enjoying it - the few times I've managed to get out - it's great just to chill out and relax.
Will all fish fall to a float depending if its up or down in the water, or for bottom feeding stuff should I eventually get a feeder anyway?

J

john conway

Steve, you didn?t say what type of float rod you have, John Wilson Avon type or Match? On my John Wilson Avon I?ve float fished and legered. You don?t need a quiver tip to ledger. You can buy for ?8 to ?10 a device called a side-winder which clips to your rod and has three different quiver attachments. This device can be attached to your rod without having to strip it down. Very handy in windy conditions, you can sink the tip of your rod and the bite detection is very good. The side-winder has it?s limits on very fast flowing rivers or in flood conditions. The other advantage it means you are not restricted to fishing at relatively short distances, most float rods will throw a 1/2oz bomb 80 to 100 metres. This will really open up your fishing potential on still waters. As for what you can land, on my John Wilson Avon I?ve landed Carp to 13lb, Bream to 11lb, Barbel to 8lb and Chub to 6lb. And if you don?t want to spend any money at all you can always touch leger or use an old fashion dough bobbin or fairy liquid top clipped onto you line between the reel and the first rod ring or first and second rod rings.

D

Dave Williams

Hi Steve

Most fish will fall to a float the advantage of a feeder is as it states u feed the fish in the area of your hookbait I would advise that u use a feeder rod for feeding like John above states u can turn your float rod (I presume its a match rod)into a quivertip (sensitive last section of the rod which registers the slightest knock or bite a challenge in itself to seperate the knocks from the bites but thats another learning experience u will enjoy)I use a Shakespeare x4000 match rod with the ambidex reel for my Float fishing. A Shakespeare multi feeder which has 3 quivertip attachments with another ambidex reel just used for that. They were bought as combi deals I think about ?45-?50 each at the time maybe cheaper now. Most of my fishing is pole fishing now I enjoy the accuracy and the hit to bite ratio increases (in my opinion) quite significantly. So to finish the answer to your question bottom feeders Tench for example will fall to a float also Tench like Carp can be brought onto a carpet of bait say sweetcorn if fed over 2-3 days before fishing.

Hope this helps