Canal bomb /feeder tips

kimura88

Reaction score
Hello FM forum.

Just after any tips on approaching the canal with a feeder setup.
Ive got cage feeders, open end feeders atm
Liquidised bread, meat and corn as baits.

So pretty much thinking could I loosely pack a cage feeder with bread and goodies and target a shallow far bank?

Any thoughts?
Cheers

nottskev

Reaction score
I'd pick and chose swims and species on a canal if I wanted to fish a feeder. Generally, less intrusive methods and lighter gear tends to work a lot better.

That said, one good use for feeder fishing on a canal would be for bream. Find a wide section - a turning bay, boat moorings if permitted etc - and it's likely to hold bream and the advantages of a feeder come into play: you can fish further out than pole anglers, hold a bait still more easily than a waggler, and put your feed and hookbait together.

I wouldn't bother casting right to the far bank, even if it's possible. Better to fish in deeper water where bream like to be. I'd choose somewhere the far side of where the boats come through so they don't disturb your fish and your feed so much in 3 or 4 feet of water.

A light, soft rod with a fine tip suits the job, and a small open-end feeder. Cast every few minutes for the first hour, or until you get bites with chopped worm and casters in your groundbait. On the hook, live or dead maggots, pieces of worm, pieces of worm with a maggot or caster.... all kinds of things work, and it's worth trying different hookbaits as these fish can have unpredictable preferences.

I wouldn't really try it on hot, still sunny days like today. It's a good method for a dull, damp and windy day when the bream will feed and be less cautious and other methods are made hard by the conditions.

But I don't know what's in your canal, so you might chuck a bread feeder over to the rushes and get a big carp or a chub. It's a tried and tested method for bream on the wides, though.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
As what Kev says, depending on with of canal, try and get a proper canal wand with different tips, these are usually around 7'6" long.Dont confuse them with the commercial bomb rods. Shakespear do a good 10' soft actioned wand. Maggot feeders work as well, plus you can catty a few over where you are fishing.And dont be afraid to try pellets,corn or meat, I have had good sport on the canal by using those, No swimmer,just a small bomb and bait ,and catty a couple of pieces over say every 20 mins to prime the swim.
One last point is if fishing upto a boat target either the middle or the bow, Dont target the stern in case you hit a good fish and get snapped/snagged around the propeller.

Last edited:

kimura88

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Cleared a few things up for me
I've got an option of fishing into a turning bay, fished it in the winter on the waggler and just kept pulling out gudgeon, it is a 'chubby' stretch but generally everyone goes to the same spot to get them against a moored boat.
The other option is a stretch mile or 2 down, it's fairly shallow but alot of foliage to the far banks, and a good stretch where I've had out a carp and some really good bream on the pole.
I'm really just practicing feeder fishing, I generally learn on the canal then try it on commercials when I'm a bit more confident in the techniques.
Few fish would be a bonus

Is a 1.5oz tip light enough for canal work?

kimura88

Reaction score
As what Kev says, depending on with of canal, try and get a proper canal wand with different tips, these are usually around 7'6" long.Dont confuse them with the commercial bomb rods. Shakespear do a good 10' soft actioned wand. Maggot feeders work as well, plus you can catty a few over where you are fishing.And dont be afraid to try pellets,corn or meat, I have had good sport on the canal by using those, No swimmer,just a small bomb and bait ,and catty a couple of pieces over say every 20 mins to prime the swim.
One last point is if fishing upto a boat target either the middle or the bow, Dont target the stern in case you hit a good fish and get snapped/snagged around the propeller.

Haha Done that with the prop, I'm 11 months into fishing so I've got plenty of mistakes like that to make.

At the moment all I've got access to is corn, pellets, meat,bread.
, Had some really good bream on meat, same place last weekend
The rod I intend to use is a drennan series 7 10ft puddle chucker do is really meant for commercials.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
On the OC I did have fun, back in winter, that was with roach. And I was a beginner as well.

The rod I use which I now love is a Ms Range Multi 300-330 Ultra Light (50 gr casting weigth).

It is when I applied the advice from FM members that I started to catch (immediately), that is for sure.

What did surprise me was the uneven distribution of fish. Even if I have caught countless zander, pike and perch anywhere between Oxford and Coventry and therefore I am used to see empty stretches followed by super hot spots

But initially I had thought coarse fishing with a feeder would be easy. After all, a canal in UK is just a super tiny and shallow length of nearly still water.

Well... no! Some stretches have no life for any reason I do not know. Then only 20 yards away it may be full of life!

At the moment in summer I've fished only once and I don't really know how to spot the fish. I briefly tried a place which in winter was producing roach in minutes: no bite at all! I also tried near a lock where 2 canals meet, I could see bubbles that looked like fish moving the bottom: no bite!

What I've seen as well is that the bottom seems softer, and a 20 gr feeder slightly buries itself.

Please, keep us posted so I'll learn from you!!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Cleared a few things up for me
I've got an option of fishing into a turning bay, fished it in the winter on the waggler and just kept pulling out gudgeon, it is a 'chubby' stretch but generally everyone goes to the same spot to get them against a moored boat.
The other option is a stretch mile or 2 down, it's fairly shallow but alot of foliage to the far banks, and a good stretch where I've had out a carp and some really good bream on the pole.
I'm really just practicing feeder fishing, I generally learn on the canal then try it on commercials when I'm a bit more confident in the techniques.
Few fish would be a bonus

Is a 1.5oz tip light enough for canal work?

I would look at the Shakespeare wands, you can use .0.5oz tip or 1oz , ideal for canal. I have used 1oz on commercials for F1's. Your 1.5oz would do for the carp, I would say the puddle chucked may be a tad to powerful for canal, but keep using it until get a wand, you wont regret it and they are not expensive.

kimura88

Reaction score
On the OC I did have fun, back in winter, that was with roach. And I was a beginner as well.

The rod I use which I now love is a Ms Range Multi 300-330 Ultra Light (50 gr casting weigth).

It is when I applied the advice from FM members that I started to catch (immediately), that is for sure.

What did surprise me was the uneven distribution of fish. Even if I have caught countless zander, pike and perch anywhere between Oxford and Coventry and therefore I am used to see empty stretches followed by super hot spots

But initially I had thought coarse fishing with a feeder would be easy. After all, a canal in UK is just a super tiny and shallow length of nearly still water.

Well... no! Some stretches have no life for any reason I do not know. Then only 20 yards away it may be full of life!

At the moment in summer I've fished only once and I don't really know how to spot the fish. I briefly tried a place which in winter was producing roach in minutes: no bite at all! I also tried near a lock where 2 canals meet, I could see bubbles that looked like fish moving the bottom: no bite!

What I've seen as well is that the bottom seems softer, and a 20 gr feeder slightly buries itself.

Please, keep us posted so I'll learn from you!!

Alright mate

Yeah it's all learning this fishing game, I've fished pole mostly and waggler rod, canal and commercials, tiny bit of stick float fishing on the river (I'm practicing with a feeder for when the rivers open up)

I'm lucky to live near a few good stretches, so only blanked once on a freezing day in late Jan.
I came on here advice too and it's always spot on and not too rigid, more than one way to skin a cat and finding 100 ways to fish one method off the net and angling friends.
I'll post back in here after I go tomorrow for my first time out with a feeder setup, on a canal, commercial tackle and not much clue haha

kimura88

Reaction score
I would look at the Shakespeare wands, you can use .0.5oz tip or 1oz , ideal for canal. I have used 1oz on commercials for F1's. Your 1.5oz would do for the carp, I would say the puddle chucked may be a tad to powerful for canal, but keep using it until get a wand, you wont regret it and they are not expensive.

Yeah, it's just as much as a learning session as it is catching fish.
Underarm casting, bite detection on a quiver tip etc
I'll give it a bash, hopefully something turns up as a bonus.
Undecided if to go to the turning point where I haven't been for 4 months or the section I know big bream and carp live but pretty shallow unless I can get the peg I want. I dunno, try it and learn either way.

I'll look at the wands too, some of my most enjoyable days so far have been on the canal,so many people disregard them.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just as much as a learning session as it is catching fish.
Underarm casting, bite detection on a quiver tip etc
I'll give it a bash, hopefully something turns up as a bonus.
Undecided if to go to the turning point where I haven't been for 4 months or the section I know big bream and carp live but pretty shallow unless I can get the peg I want. I dunno, try it and learn either way.

I'll look at the wands too, some of my most enjoyable days so far have been on the canal,so many people disregard them.

I used to fish the canal at Soudley now and then.
Came 5th in a match with an all gudgeon catch of 1lb 14oz keepnet was like a trawler net when brought it in. An all chub catch won the match 7lb 6oz then back up weights were all aroun the 2lb Mark.
Himley Hall is supposed to be good commercial type water.

kimura88

Reaction score
Well I tried it, liquidised bread, sweetcorn, meat.
Had one bream, few other knocks but nothing else in.

I didn't do much better with a pole a few days before to be fair, so could be hot conditions, bait choice, etc
Its a relaxing method though, alot easier to take in the sorroundings, hands free,even stretch my legs.

I'll be giving it another go

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Well I tried it, liquidised bread, sweetcorn, meat.
Had one bream, few other knocks but nothing else in.

I didn't do much better with a pole a few days before to be fair, so could be hot conditions, bait choice, etc
Its a relaxing method though, alot easier to take in the sorroundings, hands free,even stretch my legs.

I'll be giving it another go
Shimano do a canal wand, I think it's around 8' and about ,£50.