Canal Carp

Hooked

Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm new here!
I don't do a heap of carp fishing in the winter but I'm planning on heading down to the canal tomorrow to see if I can get one. There's a spot where I know for certain that they are there as there's a river which flow into the canal and I've see them cruising around there. Any advice on how to get one?
I'm thinking boiles on the bottom but I'm not sure. (Will be cold)
The area that I'll be fishing is hunton bridge near Watford. I know a lot of people fish around there so there may well be someone who's already done it.

Thanks guys!

theartist

Reaction score
How did you get on? It's pretty hard to target carp this time of year on the canal even if you know they are there

Hooked

Reaction score
How did you get on? It's pretty hard to target carp this time of year on the canal even if you know they are there
Well. I did go to the spot I was going to go to but I didn't end up going for the carp. Was freezing cold and it just didn't look particularly hopefully.
I did throw a few lures around to see if the pike were active but nothing..

Keith M

Reaction score
Have a try at Lady Capels which isn’t far downstream from Huntington bridge where you fished; and try casting your bait (caster, worm or crust or even a small prawn) along the edge of the lock overflow stream as it re-enters the canal, or along the edge of the canal along where it joins the wides (a few yards downstream of the lock); where the barges sometimes turn. There were always largish Chub moving along there when I used to fish there, plus the occasional Carp as well.

Keith

Hooked

Reaction score
Have a try at Lady Capels which isn’t far downstream from Huntington bridge where you fished; and try casting your bait (caster, worm or crust or even a small prawn) along the edge of the lock overflow stream as it re-enters the canal, or along the edge of the canal along where it joins the wides (a few yards downstream of the lock); where the barges sometimes turn. There were always largish Chub moving along there when I used to fish there, plus the occasional Carp as well.

Keith
Ah ok!
I'll definitely give that a go

Keith M

Reaction score
Dave Coster features this stretch of canal (Lady Capels) in the ‘Coarse Fishing Year’ book too.

Hope you catch plenty, and let us know how you get on there; I might start fishing there again myself (y)

Keith

Last edited:

Hooked

Reaction score
I have caught some monster chub just where the gade re-enters the canal.
Being from boxmoor area I usually fish around there so I'm pretty new to fishing the hunton bridge area.

This is the size chub I was catching in boxmoor last summer. Loads of them. Caught on slow sinking dog biscuits.
20200513_154329.jpg

Keith M

Reaction score
Very nice Chub.
You can catch them right through the winter months too as long as it isn’t too cold.
The Chub at Lady Capels seem to hug tight against the edges and if you venture too far from the far bank you can often miss them.

Keith

john step

Reaction score
Seeing how you have already put a location on line I will add this at no extra risk! I used to catch them along that stretch on luncheon meat next to any overhanging far side bush. In winter.
Below what was the Ovaltine Factory there used to be lots of brambles overhanging the far side. Also on large pieces of flake.