Canal Comeback

mikench

Reaction score
My recent canal experience has been on the Bridgewater canal at Lymm. Maybe other canal stretches are better on all fronts.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
These canals are a bit more rural than the Regent Canal at Bow where I use to fish. Wouldn't feel safe fishing there now.
I used to fish there in the mid-1960s. In those days, the LAA controlled the fishing and a member's key was needed to open the gate on Old Ford Road that gave access to the towpath. Of course, it was possible to gain access further up or down and walk along, but in practice, you never saw anyone who wasn't an angler. The last time I was there, a few years ago on a visit to the area, there was open access and you couldn't move for walkers, joggers and cyclists. You could see the bottom in most places and there wasn't a sign of any fish. Ii used to be full of quality roach and perch.

john step

Reaction score
SSSI designation doesn't automatically mean you can't fish - I fish miles of SSSI waters. Landowner intervention ?

My Lincoln pals included Mick Brown , John Shucksmith , the late Steve Hardy and many others from WVSG . Great bunch of friends, from whom I learned a huge amount . Our regular haunt was the back room at Harrison's tackle shop with dear old Pat -who last I heard was still with us at 90 something.
Harrisons are no longer there.
There are lots of places on the Fos where the footpath is either a long way from the water or even non existent. It is not a canal in the normal way one would imagine as for instance the GUC.
There are boats of course.
There is even a stretch of hardstanding pegs designated for anglers with notices prohibiting the mooring of boats.
It was built by the Romans to link The Trent with the Witham at Lincoln.
A very nice area to live but dont tell everyone.

Edited. PS yes there have been zander caught although I am continually surprised there are not more considering the large amount of silvers.
A double was caught in the water/housing/ marina complex near Lincoln.

steve2

Reaction score
I used to fish there in the mid-1960s. In those days, the LAA controlled the fishing and a member's key was needed to open the gate on Old Ford Road that gave access to the towpath. Of course, it was possible to gain access further up or down and walk along, but in practice, you never saw anyone who wasn't an angler. The last time I was there, a few years ago on a visit to the area, there was open access and you couldn't move for walkers, joggers and cyclists. You could see the bottom in most places and there wasn't a sign of any fish. Ii used to be full of quality roach and perch.
We must have fished around the same time we weren't members but that never stopped us.

flightliner

Reaction score
Harrisons are no longer there.
There are lots of places on the Fos where the footpath is either a long way from the water or even non existent. It is not a canal in the normal way one would imagine as for instance the GUC.
There are boats of course.
There is even a stretch of hardstanding pegs designated for anglers with notices prohibiting the mooring of boats.
It was built by the Romans to link The Trent with the Witham at Lincoln.
A very nice area to live but dont tell everyone.

Edited. PS yes there have been zander caught although I am continually surprised there are not more considering the large amount of silvers.
A double was caught in the water/housing/ marina complex near Lincoln.
I was fishing a stillwater nearish to Lincoln when a married couple turned up with their young son of some ten years old.
He was full of questions about fishing so I sat him on my seat and gave him a good half hours tuition in the art.
He loved it and very reluctantly gave up on his mothers insistance but not before he had a small roach.
I told him that he was now a proper fisherman now having caught a fish.
Before they left his dad asked me if i came over to Lincoln very often (he must have clocked my Yorkshire accent lol).
I said yes and he told me anytime I wanted I could use his waterfront on the marina where he lived.
I couldnt believe my luck at the time!

Bluenose

Reaction score
My recent canal experience has been on the Bridgewater canal at Lymm. Maybe other canal stretches are better on all fronts.
The Llangollen in the Nantwich area is decent enough mate, tbf there have been a few lock closures which have made a massive difference, but even before, it still seemed far more quiet.