Canal fishing.. after many years

Gazzmic

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I started my fishing probably 30 years ago on canals, I stopped fishing for many years ago and then became an avid carp angler and loved it in Lincolnshire. I've now moved to malpas in Cheshire with lots of fisheries to choose from ( suggestions welcome of good season ticket venues).
I would love to go pikeing in the Shropshire canal from tattenhall to whitchurch but thats where I worry, I just don't know if I can just fish, who owns the rights to what sections and generally if I buy a General canal license will get abuse if I step on wrong stretch.. all help appreciated
Gary

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Gazzmic welcome to the FishingMagic forum (y)

I can’t help you myself as it’s not in my area but I’m sure there’s someone else on the forum who can help you.

Keith

ian g

Reaction score
Lymm anglers have a lot of the canal around there . They do a canal & rivers ticket . Have a look on the canal & rivers trust they list all the waters available . I'm not to far from you over in Shropshire , the Llangollen canal is good fishing but not loads of pike.

Gazzmic

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome Keith and Thank you Ian for the link to lymm's as I'm in a new area and I can now see a map of where I can fish when/if I join. The fees are reasonable too for a stroll luring when time permits.. Thanks again

ian g

Reaction score
I was a member for a few years , there are some good stretches of canal on their card . The only issue with the canals is the boat traffic in the summer . They do fish really well in the winter

ian g

Reaction score
I generally only fish very local to me , around Whixall , it was busy with pedestrian traffic during the first lockdown but obviously no boats . I lure fish or rod and line so I don't have the issues pole anglers have and have a few places I can hide away if the tow path gets to busy

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Lymm anglers have a lot of the canal around there . They do a canal & rivers ticket . Have a look on the canal & rivers trust they list all the waters available . I'm not to far from you over in Shropshire , the Llangollen canal is good fishing but not loads of pike.

The stretches are day ticket Ian, from beeston cafe all the way to Grindley brook. The club wont tell you that, so just turn up and if bailiff comes ( IF being the operative word, just ask for day ticket) I checked on this with N.Boaz club chairman.
The shroppie is a good winter water, Grindley Brook end is very clear in winter.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I started my fishing probably 30 years ago on canals, I stopped fishing for many years ago and then became an avid carp angler and loved it in Lincolnshire. I've now moved to malpas in Cheshire with lots of fisheries to choose from ( suggestions welcome of good season ticket venues).
I would love to go pikeing in the Shropshire canal from tattenhall to whitchurch but thats where I worry, I just don't know if I can just fish, who owns the rights to what sections and generally if I buy a General canal license will get abuse if I step on wrong stretch.. all help appreciated
Gary
Contact Canal and Rivers trust about a wanderers ticket, covers all canals that are not club controlled, Most of the shroppie is day ticket anyway, that's if you get asked for one.

ian g

Reaction score
Thanks for that Mark , I know PA have to sell a season ticket for their stretch of the Monty as part of the lease . To be honest they are a nightmare to bailiff . My mate is a bailiff for PA on the upper Severn , he was telling me he fished the Monty at Queens Head and was approached by a guy trying to sell him a day ticket , cheeky git . My mate asked him if he could swim

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks for that Mark , I know PA have to sell a season ticket for their stretch of the Monty as part of the lease . To be honest they are a nightmare to bailiff . My mate is a bailiff for PA on the upper Severn , he was telling me he fished the Monty at Queens Head and was approached by a guy trying to sell him a day ticket , cheeky git . My mate asked him if he could swim
I think you get day ticket for Grindley Book from the garage there,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
131896947_10159153811992010_8047301771347877002_o.jpg

Gazzmic

Reaction score
Thanks for the info lads, I do prefer to stroll and lure for my pike. I've applied to go on Lyyms waiting waiting list which opens in Feb.. will I still get charged a day ticket in their stretches? My local was 5 good lakes and once the lakes blanked a few times in a row I moved to my pike and my ticket was £260 per year. So many fisheries around here and want to charge per session, why do that if you have 2 hours left of daylight per day after work.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
No ,once a member you do not pay for day tickets,
If you are only after a canal ticket, which as far as I am aware covers the Bridgewater canal as well. I would just go on the canal and see if bailiff comes along, very unlikely.
I was a bailiff for Lymm upto this year.
I think there is a joining fee as well for Lymm, and membership price going up again next year.
Personally I would get a wanderers ticket from canal and rivers trust, cost about £30 for the year for all canals.
And just go on Lymm day ticket stretch of shroppie and more or less not pay for one

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Phone Chester Tackle locker for details of the Dee, and the canal around chester.
Eccleston Ferry is free and has some good pike in it,
A good commercial near Malpas is Hampton Springs, no pike but plenty of other fish.

ian g

Reaction score
The wander ticket is £22 and you can do it on line , another good thing is it runs fpr a year from the date of purchase . As Mark says there really aren't any bailiffs just have a £5 in your pocket in case your really unlucky