Canon and Nikon

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
What ever happened to Pentax and Olympus cameras regarding to todays market.
I have had Halina Pentax Praktica Nikon Olympus Samsung Minolta and Canon cameras over the years and two of the best where Olympus and Pentax.
Both where film rather than digital but the Pentax Me Super in black was a terrific little camera.
If i was in the market for another camera i would buck the trend and buy the new Pentax K100D or the Olympus E330 just to be different

Michael Howson

Reaction score
John If you buy a (yet another new camera)I know someone who will be in the market for your "old" one. Only kidding J see you tomorrow Mick.

T

The Monk

HHHHmmmmmmm photographic section eh, yes not bad, not bad, light and airy and quiet

any women in here?

M

Maggot

I Used to be a Royal Naval Photographer and we used Hassleblads, Pentax, Rollie etc. which were all good cameras but I remember I dropped a Pentax SLR down some concrete steps once and thought that I must have damaged it; but it was fine and the photos that I took with it afterwards were great.
I was impressed with the Hardiness of the Pentax.

Keith

T

The Monk

Nikon Digitals are the same, I`ve dropped a D100 on concrete twice now and the worst damage which happened I had to put an new UV filter on.

William Bovington

Reaction score
Hi ,Question for maggot, was that camera that you happened to drop be a k1000 manual operation by any chance? I used to use bronica,s for weddings etc and always carried a back up K1000 which took so much abuse that i am surprised that it still works,but work it does.

William Bovington

Reaction score
Nikon & cannon seem to be market leaders for numerous reasons,Firstly there array of cameras and products that cover all budgets,secondly there vast range of lenses.There optics are superb and again cater for all budgets.Cannon i believe, still has the fastest lens at F1,I also think it comes down to ergonomics, when you pick up either nikon or cannon, every thing seems to fall into place,every button knob ,switch or dial is placed in exactly the right position so it sits in your hands like it is part of you.And lastly marketing,you always see nikon and especially cannon in adverts ,sports,magazines etc,so targeting a larger audience.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Nikon are also masters of optics. They started out in Japan as Nippon Kogaku and today make some of the finest lenses in the world.

Their Rifle Scopes for example are without peer.

T

The Monk

I also use a Nikon Microscope, they really are the business, I`m a sworn Nikon man for all my optical stuff

M

Maggot

Yes William B I think it might have been a Pentax K1000 manual SLR that I dropped.
I also like the Nikon's and Canons.
But one of my favourites was the Hassleblad, I don't know if they are as good as they used to be.
But they too will be just history soon now that technology is getting so much better and film as we knew it is getting less used.

T

The Monk

I used an Hasselblad for many years while on the weddings, an excellent camera at the time and they too have started using digital backs, however most wedding photographers have now made the change to SLR digital, far more convieniant and economical, I would never go back to the Blad, far too much Hassel (no pun)