Carp Angling?

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Its not carp fishing I don't like, its not even carp anglers, I don.t like, its the Yob angler i don't like, the ones that think they own the lake and cast everywhere, the ones that get half cut on cheap beer and shout at the to of the voice to their equally drunk mate you is only a couple of feet away.

Very rarely do I see this with Roach Anglers etc, its nearly always "Carp Anglers" maybe its just the area I fish in.

But Gentleman Anglers they are not.

Paul

Just in your area Paul? I doubt that very much.

For someone to walk from the bottom right swim of a lake to the top left swim to say 'hey mate, your fishing in my swim' has to have some kind of obsessive disorder.
Problem is his type cant see that what they do is at least selfish, bordering on anti social.

One young 'carp angler' in my club once said that he'd rather catch a 10lb carp than a 10lb tench. The same lad has given up fishing three times, at least, almost given his tackle away, and then replaced it all again, and again ....

Not only carp anglers who are selfish either. Some 14 years ago I'd been fishing a day ticket water on the Gt Ouse. Walking back at the end of the day (had a BP chub so was fairly happy) when a young chap came up to me to ask could I weigh a big chub he'd just taken. 7lb spot on but neither of us had a camera to take a good pic in the dark. A short while later a 'known' angler came along who although not very happy (he'd previously pre baited that swim and said it was his fish) took some pics with a flash camera.

Upshot was that although the young guy had asked 'known' angler several times for copies of the pics of his 7lb chub he never would send him one, although I believe he did use it in a book he later published.

Last edited:

nocatch

Reaction score
Folks after reading all,
Why on earth do you not just 'enjoy' fishing instead of making too much of it.
be it 'carpies' or 'red fins' it does not matter......just enjoy the day out !!

The Monk

Reaction score
Now as FM is a general fishing forum, and a good one in my opinion, what do you guy's think of Carp Angling today? I know that there are many that hate Carp Anglers, so I would like to know why?

Also Carp Angling has changed so much in recent years, it just seems every one and their Dog start with Carp and overlook the other fantastic species!
Who is to blame, the press or the tackle Industry or heavily force feed stocked muddy puddles, when will this end if ever, I really believe there are fishers of Carp, and pure Carp anglers.

Carp anglings changed beyond all recognition to me and not in some cases for the better. When I started catching them in the early 60`s as a grotty short panted little school boy, we has the local cut fishing for koi varieties black and ambers, and a variety of wonderful colours. The farm pools help wildies, great sport, although we rarely caught fish over 2 or 3 pounds they fought like demons. The first King varieties, Mirrows etc we caught towatds the end of the 60`s, these things were thought uncatchable, they didnt have names, very little was written about them, we had not bolt and hair rigs and didnt know what many waters held, **** Walker still held the record at 44lbs and in the north we were chasing doubles, a 10 lb carp was a big fish. The only carp books I can remember having were BB`s Wood Pool and Confessions, Dave Stewarts How to Catch Them Series and Jim Gibbinsons The Carp, Richard Walkers Library series and of courser Still Water Angler, a lot od magic still surrounded carp and carp fishing and the meccas were places like Redmire, Billing Aquadome and the Peterborough Electricity Cut, we didnt know they have carp in France, lol.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just in your area Paul? I doubt that very much.

For someone to walk from the bottom right swim of a lake to the top left swim to say 'hey mate, your fishing in my swim' has to have some kind of obsessive disorder.
Problem is his type cant see that what they do is at least selfish, bordering on anti social.

One young 'carp angler' in my club once said that he'd rather catch a 10lb carp than a 10lb tench. The same lad has given up fishing three times, at least, almost given his tackle away, and then replaced it all again, and again ....

Not only carp anglers who are selfish either. Some 14 years ago I'd been fishing a day ticket water on the Gt Ouse. Walking back at the end of the day (had a BP chub so was fairly happy) when a young chap came up to me to ask could I weigh a big chub he'd just taken. 7lb spot on but neither of us had a camera to take a good pic in the dark. A short while later a 'known' angler came along who although not very happy (he'd previously pre baited that swim and said it was his fish) took some pics with a flash camera.

Upshot was that although the young guy had asked 'known' angler several times for copies of the pics of his 7lb chub he never would send him one, although I believe he did use it in a book he later published.

I once saw two carp anglers playing one fish I netted the fish and carried it back to the angler whose hook was in the fish which was duely weighed and a photo taken. The other angler then said that he wanted his photo taken with it because he had a hand in its capture he did not get his photo.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Carp anglings changed beyond all recognition to me and not in some cases for the better. When I started catching them in the early 60`s as a grotty short panted little school boy, we has the local cut fishing for koi varieties black and ambers, and a variety of wonderful colours. The farm pools help wildies, great sport, although we rarely caught fish over 2 or 3 pounds they fought like demons. The first King varieties, Mirrows etc we caught towatds the end of the 60`s, these things were thought uncatchable, they didnt have names, very little was written about them, we had not bolt and hair rigs and didnt know what many waters held, **** Walker still held the record at 44lbs and in the north we were chasing doubles, a 10 lb carp was a big fish. The only carp books I can remember having were BB`s Wood Pool and Confessions, Dave Stewarts How to Catch Them Series and Jim Gibbinsons The Carp, Richard Walkers Library series and of courser Still Water Angler, a lot od magic still surrounded carp and carp fishing and the meccas were places like Redmire, Billing Aquadome and the Peterborough Electricity Cut, we didnt know they have carp in France, lol.

Hey up Nick; good to see you back posting

nicepix

Reaction score

Good post. I started fishing in 1968 and carp hadn't been invented then in Yorkshire. Well, there were a couple in Tinker's Ponds that were supposed to be over 20lb but no one ever caught them as far as I know. And there was Nostell Priory that was supposed to hold double figure carp, but the tench anglers who held permits for that revered venue would rather eat their own rods than fish for carp. After all, they were uncatchable. Every one knew that.

Now everywhere is infested with the damn things. The Fleets, Worsbrough Res'. The bleedin' things are even in the River Dearne :eek:

As for France. I daren't leave any water in the wife's watering can overnight in case its full of carp the next day.

What we need is Hugh furry-Chickenstall to invent a recipe for them. Better still, what about a vermin pie? Carp, cormorant and otter should go down well. Trouble is, if they tested the meat in Lincolnshire they'd probably find Polish human DNA in it. :eek:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I remember fishing for carp at Billing Aquadrome, Cheshunt Reservoir and Aldermaston Lake in the 50s with my father (I believe all these contained fish to 20lb+). I can’t remember having access to any of my local Colne valley pits containing carp until the mid 60’s although a couple were stocked as far back as the mid/late 50’s.
Jerry

The Monk

Reaction score
Hey up Nick; good to see you back posting

Hi Peter, how the devil are you, just a flying visit I`m affraid, I`m mainly to be found on the guitar sites these days mate, lol

---------- Post added at 09:29 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

Good post. I started fishing in 1968 and carp hadn't been invented then in Yorkshire. Well, there were a couple in Tinker's Ponds that were supposed to be over 20lb but no one ever caught them as far as I know. And there was Nostell Priory that was supposed to hold double figure carp, but the tench anglers who held permits for that revered venue would rather eat their own rods than fish for carp. After all, they were uncatchable. Every one knew that.

Now everywhere is infested with the damn things. The Fleets, Worsbrough Res'. The bleedin' things are even in the River Dearne :eek:

As for France. I daren't leave any water in the wife's watering can overnight in case its full of carp the next day.

What we need is Hugh furry-Chickenstall to invent a recipe for them. Better still, what about a vermin pie? Carp, cormorant and otter should go down well. Trouble is, if they tested the meat in Lincolnshire they'd probably find Polish human DNA in it. :eek:

excellent stuff, yes no carp in Yorkshire in those days, lol none in Scotland either and Ireland, I think Cork Lough had a few though in the late sixties. We didnt have barbel in the Ribble and the Dane either, we use to travel all night on the A62 to Topcliffe to fish for barbel, no motoway in those days either

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

I remember fishing for carp at Billing Aquadrome, Cheshunt Reservoir and Aldermaston Lake in the 50s with my father (I believe all these contained fish to 20lb+). I can’t remember having access to any of my local Colne valley pits containing carp until the mid 60’s although a couple were stocked as far back as the mid/late 50’s.
Jerry

Yes Jerry, the souther water authorities had far better stocking policys in the 30`s and 40`s and rich gravel pits too of course

nicepix

Reaction score
excellent stuff, yes no carp in Yorkshire in those days, lol none in Scotland either and Ireland, I think Cork Lough had a few though in the late sixties. We didnt have barbel in the Ribble and the Dane either, we use to travel all night on the A62 to Topcliffe to fish for barbel, no motoway in those days either

Same with b****l (dare n't mention the name) All the lads in Sth. York's used to bus up to the Swale or down to the Trent and then we found that we had our own. Bloomin' big ones too :D

noknot

Reaction score
I shall be fishing a southern gravel pit later this month that contain more 30lbs+ Carp than doubles, with 40's and two 50's!

I think the first run will give me a heart attact!:eek:
Bring it on Carp!!!;)